PDA

View Full Version : Maple or Birch?

DaveDrummer
04-30-2003, 08:25 PM
I do a lot of recording, but also live stuff. Just for experience, what do you suggest and why?

Dave

JSXtremist
04-30-2003, 08:40 PM
Definitly Maple! More Versitile than birch. Great for studio, Great for live.

ROBB283DT
04-30-2003, 08:49 PM
I find birch is more user friendly in the studio and projects more live because the sound focuses on the high end and the low end. Maple has more defined mid ranges that could clash with the guitar sound.

vanillaCOKE2k2
04-30-2003, 09:16 PM
:D

SLIPKNOT1
04-30-2003, 09:18 PM
I have found that Maple works anywhere but it all depends on what sound you are after. A good sound guy can make any type of wood sound good.

pelaminack
01-24-2005, 09:01 AM
One word: "Reference"

Masterworks_Artist
01-24-2005, 09:29 AM
Davedrummer,

Traditioally, Birch is used more in the studio. Maple is used more live. Yamaha's "recording custom" drums are the most recorded drums in history. They are 100% birch. If you are looking for the best of both worlds, go for a 6 ply drum. 2 inner plys of birch and 4 outer plys of maple. This would be a good combo if you are looking to get the characteristics of both.

russb66
01-24-2005, 09:52 AM
One word: "Reference"Somebody is about to spend some money!!!

vanillaCOKE2k2
01-24-2005, 10:22 AM
birch is great for that studio work. i would say reference too.

Masterworks_Artist
01-26-2005, 10:03 AM
Reference are Maple and Mahogany,. What are you guys talking about? He asked between Maple and Birch. It is not like you guys have even heard a "Reference" kit yet. (unlees you were at NAMM) How can you honestly suggest somthing to someone when you havn't even heard it yet? I am sure they sound good, but you don't know if the sound is what he is looking for.

dick_grayson
01-26-2005, 10:05 AM
maple toms and birch kicks.

pelaminack
01-26-2005, 11:09 AM
Reference are Maple and Mahogany,. What are you guys talking about? He asked between Maple and Birch. It is not like you guys have even heard a "Reference" kit yet. (unlees you were at NAMM) How can you honestly suggest somthing to someone when you havn't even heard it yet? I am sure they sound good, but you don't know if the sound is what he is looking for.

Corrections. Some of us HAVE heard the reference drums. Also, they feature Maple, Mahogany, AND Birch. The reference series features a 6 ply all maple 12" tom that is used as a "Reference" for the perfect drum sound. As the drums get smaller, Birch is added to help bring out the high end cut in smaller drums. As the drums get bigger than 12", Mahogany is added to beef up the low end and make floor toms and kicks really rumble. Also, the bearing edges are cut differently to maximize the sound. On smaller toms, bearing edges are cut to 45 degrees to minimize shell/head contact which brings out high frequencies. On floor toms and kick drums, bearing edges are rounded off to maximize shell/head contact which brings out low end frequencies.

The result is: rack toms that have tons of cut and projection along with nice warm resonance, floor toms with serious low end punch, and bass drums so deep sounding that they rattle your bones.

Also, the price is only about 5% more than masters. Mass Music will be selling 4 piece shell packs for around $2200 I think is what Andy said. They will be available probably around May in this shell pack (8x10, 9x12, 16x16, 18x22). Any other sizes will be special order for now and Pearl hasn't set a timeline for those yet.

pelaminack
01-26-2005, 11:15 AM
Somebody is about to spend some money!!!

Ha, not yet. I just bought a 7 piece MMX kit last fall and now my wife wants a new truck. It'll be another year or two until I've got extra cash for another kit. That'll give Pearl time to extend the finish options on the Reference Series. None of the new finishes do anything for me. But if you like one of the finishes and you're in the market for a kit. Reference just might be the answer to the age old question "Maple or Birch"? Why not get the best of both worlds with a third world (mahogany) thrown in for free?

drumgame47
01-26-2005, 04:36 PM
I feel you there pelaminack...I dished out money for a MRX 9 piece, but hope to get a new set in a couple of years cause I'm graduating college in Electronics. Check out the new specs I'm thinking of getting...

8x8 6ply Birch (45' bearing edges)....maybe 4ply Birch, not sure yet
10x10 4ply Birch Outer, 2ply Maple Inner (45' bearing edges)....maybe 2 Birch/2Maple
12x11 2ply Birch Outer, 4ply Maple Inner (45' bearing edges)
14x13 4ply Birch Outer, 2ply Mahogany Inner (not sure bout bearing edges yet)
16x16 4ply Birch Outer, 2ply Mahogany Inner (not sure bout bearing edges yet)
18x18 4ply Birch Outer, 4ply Mahogany Inner (rounded bearing edges)
(2) 22x20 6ply Birch Outer, 4ply Mahogany Inner (rounded bearing edges)

well........guess its shaping up!!

Masterworks_Artist
01-27-2005, 08:55 AM
Pelaminack,

As I stated in my post, I said the only people who have really heard a "Reference" kit are the ones who were at Namm. The "primary" part of the "Reference kit" is Maple and Mahogany. The only drums that receive any Birch are the 8", 10" tom and the snare drum. Most people who buy kits get the 10, 12, 14, 16, 22, and 5.5x14 set up. This means he would have 1 drum with Birch in it. I wasn't trying to start a war. I was just simply stating that peopl were suggesting that he buy this kit for the studio and I don't think it is the best studio kit. I think all Birch or all Mahogany sound best in the studio from my experience. He was specifically asking betweem Maple and Birch. The "Reference kit" is not specifically all maple or all Birch. That is the point I was trying to get across.

pelaminack
01-28-2005, 03:35 PM
I feel you there pelaminack...I dished out money for a MRX 9 piece, but hope to get a new set in a couple of years cause I'm graduating college in Electronics. Check out the new specs I'm thinking of getting...

8x8 6ply Birch (45' bearing edges)....maybe 4ply Birch, not sure yet
10x10 4ply Birch Outer, 2ply Maple Inner (45' bearing edges)....maybe 2 Birch/2Maple
12x11 2ply Birch Outer, 4ply Maple Inner (45' bearing edges)
14x13 4ply Birch Outer, 2ply Mahogany Inner (not sure bout bearing edges yet)
16x16 4ply Birch Outer, 2ply Mahogany Inner (not sure bout bearing edges yet)
18x18 4ply Birch Outer, 4ply Mahogany Inner (rounded bearing edges)
(2) 22x20 6ply Birch Outer, 4ply Mahogany Inner (rounded bearing edges)

well........guess its shaping up!!

Sounds Like a Winner!

pelaminack
01-28-2005, 03:37 PM
Pelaminack,

As I stated in my post, I said the only people who have really heard a "Reference" kit are the ones who were at Namm. The "primary" part of the "Reference kit" is Maple and Mahogany. The only drums that receive any Birch are the 8", 10" tom and the snare drum. Most people who buy kits get the 10, 12, 14, 16, 22, and 5.5x14 set up. This means he would have 1 drum with Birch in it. I wasn't trying to start a war. I was just simply stating that peopl were suggesting that he buy this kit for the studio and I don't think it is the best studio kit. I think all Birch or all Mahogany sound best in the studio from my experience. He was specifically asking betweem Maple and Birch. The "Reference kit" is not specifically all maple or all Birch. That is the point I was trying to get across.

Yes, you are correct. I didn't mean to sound snappy. I just thought you were saying that the Reference series wasn't any good because they mixed different woods. If he wants a kit for exlusive use in the studio, then I would definitely recommend Masters BRX (all birch). But, for a combo of live and studio, Reference is really going to turn some heads.