PDA

View Full Version : cajon manufacturers?

boro
05-30-2006, 03:27 PM
hi, first post here. I've been looking at cajons around town and haven't had much luck finding a variety of manufacturers. I've only been able to find Toca and LP. I know Meinl, Mountain Rhythm, and other companies make them.

Does anyone have any experience with these cajons? I'm weighing in on ordering a Meinl pro cajon from music123 (only place I can think of that ships to Canada) but I'm still not sure.

thanks

Mapexdrummer17
05-30-2006, 05:07 PM
The Meinl is one of the newer ones, and is quite nice. That one and the Toca and LP are nice. Mountain Rhythm is one I don't know about though...

boro
06-01-2006, 03:17 AM
It's sort of difficult, because none of the shops around here carry them, and I dont want to wait for a few weeks and put a deposit on something that I don't really want.

There's a bunch to choose from online, but the shops around here only seem to deal with TOCA and LP. I looked through toca's catalog and it doesn't say anything about their cajons... just that they make them. LPs website helps a little bit more, but I still haven't found any reviews on the lp cajons, or any sound samples.

The meinl website has sound samples, but they arent very good quality, and leave me wondering if a snare cajon or a guitar-string cajon is the way to go. On top of that, musiciansfriend.com says that the meinl cajons are restricted from shipping up here (Calgary, Alberta) and I'm afraid other sites like music123.com will say the same.

Mountain Percussion is a company from Canada, but I can't find anyone who deals with them up here, I've only found them for sale online in the states.

There's other manufacturers that I've seen online like Salwender, but I can't find any dealers in North america, let alone Canada.

It's kind of frustrating when you go to a drum shop and the only hand percussion they have is some cheap bongos and djembes that they're looking to sell to children or people that don't really take music seriously.

To top it all off, I've only talked to two people in shops that even knew what cajons were, and even then they weren't interested in finding out anything about them for me. I talked to one fellow in a shop that was helpful, but he didn't even know what cajons were called until I described them to him, and since he was in the dark he couldn't really give me any advice aside from "we could order one in for you."

Milkman
06-06-2006, 02:11 PM
Are you after the box cajons, djembe cajons, bongo cajons...? I can vouch for the quality of Mountain Rhythm products. I know the owner of the company and they make quality stuff and really back their products.

boro
06-06-2006, 08:02 PM
a cajon cajon - a box. I ended up ordering a meinl burlwood cajon. mountain rhythm looked pretty good, but I couldnt spend that much money on something I had never heard.

I'll see how it turns out.