PDA

View Full Version : Pearl session vs. Mapex Pro M

pilot27041
04-24-2003, 04:16 PM
I am considering purchasing a nice used session kit (5 yrs old?) , or a New Mapex Pro M kit, which I have heard lots of good things about. Would like to hear comments and/or suggestions.

Aussie Drumz
04-25-2003, 06:54 AM
last thing i'd ever buy would be a mapex

but thats just me.

JSXtremist
04-25-2003, 08:12 AM
I say Pearl. I'd never play Mapex.

Swanky Maury
04-25-2003, 09:11 AM
Mapex make some nice drums, but in my opinion, their hardware is the worst in the industry..

Joey
04-25-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Swanky Maury
Mapex make some nice drums, but in my opinion, their hardware is the worst in the industry..
I think its great. The ones that come with the Pro M are great. The hardware with the Ms and Vs are crap though.

xxxDISENGAGExxx
04-25-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by pilot27041
I am considering purchasing a nice used session kit (5 yrs old?) , or a New Mapex Pro M kit, which I have heard lots of good things about. Would like to hear comments and/or suggestions.

can you give us some details about the 2 kits? the number and sizes of drums, hardware included, and cymbals included?

You shouldn't have to get a Session kit THAT old just to bring it down to the price of a Pro M. That is unless that Session is a bigger kit and comes with lots of hardware and cymbals. A new Session shell pack only runs $1300 or so.

let us know exactly what you would be getting with each so we can help you out.

xxxDISENGAGExxx
04-25-2003, 12:52 PM
Thought I should correct/add this: just the shells (3 toms, bass, and snare) is under $1300 and with all the hardware its under $1500 at the big online places like Massmusic and Midwestpercussion.

Ambion
04-25-2003, 01:16 PM
with those options, I would go with the SRX. However, if it came down to a saturn pro versus the SRX, they're dead even. The saturn's have in my opinion nicer shells, but Pearl has better hardware. If you get the choice, buy mapex shells and pearl/yamaha hardware (minus mounts, obviously). Mapex supplies the shells for a lot of other drum companies, so you know they've definitely got that part right.

JMaxey79
04-29-2003, 05:53 AM
Ambion, What are some of the company's that Mapex provides the shell for? just curious. thanks.

new drummer
04-29-2003, 04:41 PM
JSXtremist and Aussie Drumz, have you guys even tried the Mapex Pro M's? why would you guys never play or buy mapex? support your reasons, because if you guys ever even played the PRO M's, you would know why so many people prefer them over the Pearl Export ELX. and mapex also makes some of the best sounding snare drums

Braindonor
04-30-2003, 07:38 AM
I've played both a SRX and a PRO M. The store that had them put the same heads on both kits( they actually put the same heads on all floor kits), and I can say that the PRO M sounded really good, really close to the SRX, imo.

JEFFa.k.a.ANIMAL
04-30-2003, 10:20 AM
Jeremy,
Mapex drums is under the corporate umbrella of a company called KHS Musix, Inc. I know for a fact that the newer Sonor Force X001 series' drums are made at the Mapex plant, kind of in their own little separate section of the plant, overseen and QAed by one of the 3 or four Germans that are in control of Hohner, Inc., the parent co. of Sonor. Thus the similarity of the two shells, Maple/basswood/Maple. Me personally, I do not care for the sound of basswood, even sandwiched between outer and inner plies of maple. That is why I switched to Pearl, because of the superior shell manufacturing process, quality, and customer service. As far as who else they make shells for, I don't know. It may be kept as a trade secret.

new drummer
04-30-2003, 06:47 PM
actually the PRO M's are 4 ply maple and 3 ply basswood, the shell alternates maple and basswood plies, so it would be maple/basswood/maple/basswood/maple/basswood/maple, so the sound of maple and basswood is blended perfectly, it makes for a very warm and surperior sounding shell, basswood has great attack, added by the warmth of maple, so it makes a very good all around shell, almost close to the sound of beech i should say...

pilot27041
04-30-2003, 09:34 PM
thanks for the input guys! As for the used session kit I am considering, it is an 8 or 9 piece kit with a rack(about 5-7 yrs old). If I went with the mapex, I would probably go with the studio 6 piece kit. Although I am not sure how I would like both floor toms hanging on a stand. I like the fusion sizes but I am so used to a standard 16" floor tom. I have read so much about both on the net and from dealers, I guess I just need to go and actually play the mapex if I can find a dealer close by and compare the two. I would actually like to see the color in real life as it sometimes looks a little different on a computer! Thanks again! I think this forum is great!!!!

JEFFa.k.a.ANIMAL
05-01-2003, 08:00 AM
Guys,
here's a few things to ponder about Mapex. The studio six piece kit is going to be around a grand for a maple blend shell with suspicious quality. I have a "basswood/maple blend" shell and it is far from "superior sounding" and where's the "great attack"? I would say that for $200 more you can get the SRX shell pack, if you already have hardware, or a couple hundred more for hardware pack. The thing is that if you're a serious drummer and want a professional sound, if you get the Mapex Pro M, you will be trying to sell them and upgrade sooner than you probably want to. Also, why don't they brag about the process that the shells are made? Is it so bad that they don't want people to know that they just put some cold adhesive on some sheets of wood, place them in a mold and Voila, we have a drumshell? A pro drummer friend of mine has an endorsement deal with Mapex and offered me his discounts on all Mapex products- 60% off drums and 70% off hardware(list prices). Do the math and you'll see that it would be a pretty good deal. You know what I said, "thanks but no thanks". I would rather test the waters and pay the lowest prices I could get from a retailer for Pearl than get a super discount on Mapex.

In closing, keep these thought from Gene Okamoto in mind, when someone questioned him about Pearl's design ideas and warranties:

ORIGINALLY POSTED BY GENE OKAMOTO:

http://66.40.220.17/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7460&highlight=dusted (http://)

1) We overlap our seams for superior strength and to create shells with no gaps and no air pockets. Our scarf jointed seams have considerably more surface area for the glue to bond compared to butted seams, where just the squared ends meet, thus they have greater strength. Because our seams overlap there are no gaps in the shell and no gaps means that there are no air pockets to impede the flow of vibration throughout the shell. Air is a wonderful insulator. Double paned windows have dead air between the panes to provide insulation from temperature and noise. Recording studios are built with a room within a room with dead air in between the rooms to insulate the studio from outside noise. What may be great for windows and recording studios is not what we want as drummers. We DONíT want to impede the flow of sound; instead we want to promote it! By using overlapping seams our shells have no gaps and no air pockets that can stop vibration therefore our shells vibrate fully and uniformly for ultimate sound and isnít that what you want?

2) Pearl drums are dusted with a sealer to prevent moisture from entering the shells. But even without the sealer our shells are highly moisture resistant. During the forming process, our molds are heated to the boiling point of the glue. Then the shells are compressed under 1000 pounds per square inch pressure. The combined effect literally boils and compresses the glue into every pore of the wood for thorough shell adhesion and moisture resistanceÖĒwhere the glue is, moisture isnít.Ē As a matter of fact, the world record for underwater drumming was set on a Pearl BLX kit in 1992 in Rotterdam, Holland. After the event, the kit was fished out and dried and is still in perfect condition and in use today. If Pearl drums can withstand this kind of extreme exposure to moisture imagine what how they can hold up under normal use!

8) Itís not the length of the warranty that matters; itís how well you stand behind it. There are a couple of car companies who are using long warranties to combat their notoriously bad reputation for quality. From a marketing stand point thatís not a bad idea but would you buy one of their cars knowing their reputation for bad quality just because the warranty was long? Wouldnít you rather own a product, like Pearl, that has a reputation for quality and is the winner of the Modern Drummer Magazine poll for the Best Customer Service? We stand behind the products that we sell and thatís the bottom line!

'Nuff said!

Axe
05-06-2003, 08:51 PM
Yes, Pearl makes superior shells, and everybody elses are crap. Give me a break.

Adrian NoRi
05-06-2003, 09:29 PM
Pearl for sure

Jookbox
05-07-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Aussie Drumz
last thing i'd ever buy would be a mapex

but thats just me.

i'm not quite sure people make comments like this without backing them up. i prefer pearl just due to brand loyalty and i've been playing them since i was a kid, but i'm not just gonna slam mapex for no reason.

Jookbox
05-07-2003, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Axe
Yes, Pearl makes superior shells, and everybody elses are crap. Give me a break.

is this sarcastic? help me out here :confused:

Axe
05-07-2003, 10:48 AM
Yes its sarcastic. And though I'm playing Mapex, I do love Pearl, I just find it ridiculous when people say a drum is better because of the buliding process. Joe Blow in the audience doesnt go home and say "The drummers kit sounded so sweet, he MUSTVE had heat compressed shells". I have a 30 yr old set of Ludwigs, and somehow, they still sound great. Its a miracle! Pearl bragging about the process with which their shells are made is pure marketing, just like EVERY drum company says something to the effect of ..."our drums sound like nobody elses." Yeah right. Basically everybody makes something great. If you dont buy a Pearl shell, 5 years from now the glue will be lifting and your drums will all be out of round. Ha! Pick a color you like and go from there. Theres no great sound difference between an SRX & an ELX, henceforth there is no great sound difference between an SRX & a Pro M. I do like Pearl alot, and I like Mapex alot, Im just not into the whole blind allegiance thing.

JEFFa.k.a.ANIMAL
05-08-2003, 06:58 PM
Axe,
I think you're a little off base. First off, I wasn't slamming Mapex. They haven't been around as long as some of the other companies have, and I've heard quality complaints from other people before, that's all. I'm sold on the process Pearl uses to make their shells whereas I'm not sold on the process other companies use. Why does a Yamaha kit comparable to an SRX cost a thousand dollars more? They just don't do the little things that Pearl does to try and make their intermediate kits look and sound like higher end drums, that's all. Is it better because it's made in Japan? I don't think so. Are their shells cured? I don't know, and even though someone in the audience won't go home wondering the same thing is because not everyone cares, some people just buy a name, not what sounds better, or made better. They listen with their eyes, not their ears. Everyone else's shells are not crap, either. I don't have a "blind allegiance" to Pearl either. I have done some research and came to my own conclusion. When will Mapex have their drummer's forum up and running? When will they offer a free gear promotion when you buy their top of the line kit? These are questions that I would want an answer to. And, if there wasn't a sound difference between ELX , ProM, and SRX, then why don't all the touring pros play export and ProM? Maybe not a difference that your ear can detect, but there has to be a difference. There is.

Axe
05-08-2003, 07:18 PM
Well, youre right. Free gear and a drummers forum are important considerations when buying a kit! (couldnt resist!)

I've heard quality complaints about every drum company, who hasnt?

I would suppose the reason pros play top of the line kits is because they can. Kind of like why do some people buy expensive foreign cars every 3 years, when an American one will last you just as long? Its the image factor. Put MMX or BRX lugs on a ELX kit and play it in an arena or even a club, and I guarantee you no one will say "Hmmn, the drums sounded a little cheap". And you can talk about Pearls customer service all night long, but I think waiting 7 months for one drum (as I am) is a little ridiculous.

Hey-I apologize if I came on strong. Its just that after years of thinking hi end kits were the bomb, and then actually hearing hi end kits compared to mid level kits, I think its a joke. The differences, to my ear, are negligible, and not even remotely worth the increased cost. Again, I think its all marketing, kind of like palm pilots, people think they need em, but they really dont!

That being said, if I ever find myself employed again, Ill finish getting the rest of my MMX kit - not because it sounds so much greater than my Pro Ms or Rockstar Customs, but because Midnight Fade is such a PRETTY color. Theres a guy on the Remo forums that always says if youd put x amount of different types of kits on a stage, with a band playing, tuned the same, with the same heads, micd or not micd, NOBODY would be able to tell this brand from that brand. And I believe that, its all marketing, plain and simple.

new drummer
05-08-2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by JEFFa.k.a.ANIMAL
And, if there wasn't a sound difference between ELX , ProM, and SRX, then why don't all the touring pros play export and ProM? Maybe not a difference that your ear can detect, but there has to be a difference. There is. first of all, the ELX and ProM are intermediate level kits, and if a touring band's drummer was using one of those kits, it would ruin their image, because they should usually be using higher-end equipment. not many pros use the SRX's, however there's also a mapex line of drums called the Saturn Pro's, and some pros use those drums. just like the pro's use Pearl's top of the line kits, which would be the Masters series, there are pro's using Mapex's Orion series... well like you said, some people listen with their eyes, that's what most pros do... with all the money they earn, why would they wanna play on a beginner/intermediate kit? maybe they would keep one at home, but certainly not at concerts and albums...

JEFFa.k.a.ANIMAL
05-08-2003, 07:23 PM
Axe, You're right. Marketing does make a huge difference, and I guess that I'm sold easily on things. I usually don't jump on the bandwagon until I do some research for myself, though. Pearl does market their products well and I am a bit biased toward their stuff so I apologize if I came across too strong. We can come to a compromise on most of the issues. I'll be a Pearl man for the rest of my life. Take care.

JEFFa.k.a.ANIMAL
05-08-2003, 07:26 PM
newdrummer, what you said is exactly correct and true.

phily05
05-16-2003, 01:26 PM
The Mapex Pro M's are a lot cheaper (pricewise). Sessions I think sound a bit better though. Mapex hardware is horrible in my opinion.

Axe
05-16-2003, 02:20 PM
Peace & long life!

Joey
05-16-2003, 05:54 PM
Comparing the Pro M to the SRX is unfair. Try comparing the SRX to the Saturn.

This is how it goes IMO
forum- V
export- M
ELX- Pro M
SRX- Saturn
MMX, MRX, BRX- Orion and Deep Forest

new drummer
05-16-2003, 06:47 PM
but then again keep in mind people... he's going to be getting a 5 year old used sessions series for same price of the newer Pro M's, which are nothing close to the new Pro M's and the newer Sessions series...

2 basses4life
05-24-2003, 06:29 AM
actually, i must say, price wise, you are getting a great deal with the session. i puchased a mapex pro m . the more i look at it the less i want it. i originally bought the set because it sounded great. and looks great, and it was a good price. however, after playing these for a while, i noticed problems ,mostly with there hardware. IT'S JUST NOT STABLE. first , the mounting system looks good , BUT i noticed there is a definate stress issue when the drum is 14" or bigger. the tom flexes ALOT. i'm afraid with continued abuse,my 14 is gonna be on the floor!!!
i am using there top line stands. and THEY FLEX AS WELL! and it's not coming from the ball-in -socket mounts as i first thought . THE LEGS are the source of my flexing problems. right now my whole kit very bouncy, and does not feel stable at all ,no matter what position there in.

if i were you, i'd go with a session. the hardware is sturdy ,the shells areALL maple( very important) and you can find pearl parts inANY store in the country . mapex stuff is very hard to come by. unless you buy from the same place you bought your kit . even then mapex individual drums take an eternity to get to the store.

next time around, i'm getting session.

2 basses4life
05-24-2003, 06:31 AM
in short, ***** mapex .

new drummer
05-24-2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by 2 basses4life
actually, i must say, price wise, you are getting a great deal with the session. i puchased a mapex pro m . the more i look at it the less i want it. i originally bought the set because it sounded great. and looks great, and it was a good price. however, after playing these for a while, i noticed problems ,mostly with there hardware. IT'S JUST NOT STABLE. first , the mounting system looks good , BUT i noticed there is a definate stress issue when the drum is 14" or bigger. the tom flexes ALOT. i'm afraid with continued abuse,my 14 is gonna be on the floor!!!
i am using there top line stands. and THEY FLEX AS WELL! and it's not coming from the ball-in -socket mounts as i first thought . THE LEGS are the source of my flexing problems. right now my whole kit very bouncy, and does not feel stable at all ,no matter what position there in.

if i were you, i'd go with a session. the hardware is sturdy ,the shells areALL maple( very important) and you can find pearl parts inANY store in the country . mapex stuff is very hard to come by. unless you buy from the same place you bought your kit . even then mapex individual drums take an eternity to get to the store.

next time around, i'm getting session.
i don't know maybe you were just unlucky? but from other reviews i've read, people have been VERY impressed with the Pro M especially because the hardware, sound, and finishes, and NO, THE SESSIONS ARE THE OLDER KIND WITHOUT ANY KIND OF TOM MOUNTING SYSTEM, IT JUST DRILLS THROUGH THE SHELL, AND ONLY THE NEW SESSIONS FROM 2002 AND UP ARE ALL MAPLE SHELLS, THE OLDER ONES ARE MAPLE/MAHOGHANY

2 basses4life
05-24-2003, 09:15 PM
i'd get the new ones any day. i WAS IMPRESSED but after some actual playing time on the kit , i don't like them . i'm not cormfortable with there mounting system . a 14 tom should be he held up with more than 2 screws! i'm probably going to rig optimounts and set up my drums on optimounts ,there by relieving some of the strain on those lugs. one of the ideas behind suspension is that it doesn't pull your drums out of round. i can see this happening over time.i think mapexes mounting is sad . it doesn't seem to be built for playing out, or any kind of abuse.
i love the finish ( only some TINY defects ) they still sound great. but even there top of the line hardware is sub- par. for example , i buoght there single tom /double cymbal stands .( i can't believe they did this). the post holes in the stand that you slide the cymbal arms and the single tom arm is actually too close together, so you can't adjust the cymbal arms . you also can't set the cymbal arms at the same level . it's silly ,because it's only like a 1/8" diffrence . if they had spaced out the holes 1/8" further apart, i'd have no worries. seriosly, you need to test drive a set out your self before you commit to buying it . if you can't you run the risk of not being happt with what you get

2 basses4life
05-24-2003, 09:18 PM
mapex needs more work before they can be a true competitor with the more established companies

JEFFa.k.a.ANIMAL
05-25-2003, 06:25 PM
Dear 2basses4life,
Thank you for backing me up and proving my point about Mapex. It's not just what's advertised and listed as features or what the endorsers or reviewers have to say about a product (mostly because they're compensated) but how the drums actually perform in real life playing situations for yourself as the drummer. IMO, Pearl has the good reviews and endorsements as well as the proof of holding up to what they claim they are in the feature description and delivering in real life situations. If I bought anything else but Pearl, I would always be second guessing my decision every time I had a problem or issue with the other product. Pearl forever!

2 basses4life
05-26-2003, 04:05 AM
well, i wouldn't call myself a die hard pearl guy. but if you gave me a choice between these two brands... pearl hardware has never let me down, they are accessable ( pearl can be ordered from coast to coast, from lugs, to full kits .) and the sessions fill the bill for recording and playing out. the mapex company is frustrating . i'm currently waiting for a floor tom i ordered in feb. i'm not sure if it's the company or the ******* that owns the local music store, but due to the fact that i am committed to this brand now , and the fact that there are no other dealers in a 100 mile radius of this one , i'm stuck waiting for the damn thing ,which they say, may be here by june. what a pisser. i gaurantee , if it was a pearl kit, i'd have my drum already.

with that said, i still would like to check out other brands... but1. i'm not going to buy it at this store,and 2. i am definately gonna look for a place that lets me sit down and play the thing first!:D

SESSION25
01-25-2005, 05:42 AM
get a PEARL all the way man. don't get a mapex

thebeat
01-25-2005, 11:58 AM
go to a MAPEX Forum, they'll say MAPEX. Go to a Pearl forum (here) , they'll say PEARL just cause they all own PEARL. it's true, you know it.

Joey
01-25-2005, 12:42 PM
SESSION25, why did you bring back a topic from a year and a half ago?...I'm pretty sure this guy has already made his decision.

carr
01-25-2005, 06:54 PM
Mapex Pro M's are not bad drums.I know,because I play them.They sound good and they look good and are the best priced all maple drums on the market.I also used to play a Pearl SRX kit and I can tell you first hand that the Pearls are better drums.The Mapex maple shell is 7ply 6 mm where the Pearl maple shell is 6ply 7.5mm.There is a big difference when you handle the drums. The Mapex drums are alot lighter and do not resonate quite like the Pearls.The hardware that comes with the Mapex Pro M'S is not bad but it is not the quality of the hardware you get with the Sessions(When you buy the hardware package like I did).The bottom line is if I had a choice I would choose the Pearl Session line over the Mapex Pro M line because I think the Pearl session series is a better quality drumset.Also I think the finish of the Pearl Sessions is much more durable than Mapex.I abused my Sessions(Not intentionally)and after 2 years they had 1 minor scratch on them.I have had my Mapex Pro M's for about 6 months and it seems like if I look at them wrong they get a scratch somewhere.Bottom line is the Pearl Session series is a little more expensive but is worth the cost,because in my opinion,from somebody who has played both kits,the Pearls are better.And by the way,I sold my Sessions on Ebay and bought the Mapex Pro M's to save some money.The wrong choice and that is why I am going to sell the Mapex Pro M's and buy another Session kit. This is not to take anything away from Mapex because they make buying all maple drums pretty cheap,but in the end I just want Pearl's again.

drumquig41
01-25-2005, 09:12 PM
Having been the former owner of a Mapex Pro-M kit, I would like to point out that their shells are 100% Maple now, just like the sessions. They do have a good isolation mounting system, and the tom holder keeps the drum a virgin. I agree with everyone, though, who says their hardware is crap. It is!! I found these drums to great for loud gigs, and unfortunately not much else. It is a decent practice kit, or a gig kit where lots of beer flies around, but go with the Sessions for the long term. I wavered between the Sessions and Starclassic Performer, but I chose Tama in the end because of a deal I couldn't pass up.

Good luck. :

evbarnes
01-29-2005, 05:22 AM
I have owned Mapex, and now I have Pearl Sessions SRX. The only thing I have that is Mapex now is a double braced snare stand I got a hell of a deal for $ 25 on ebay still in the box. I also have Tama and Yamaha heavy duty boom cymbal stands which are very good. I am going to get Pearl Eliminators for my next purchase. Mapex does not come close to Pearl , Tama , or Yamaha. ;) IMHO.
Everett

Drumgood319
01-31-2005, 03:03 AM
hey guys,i own the discontinued version of the Mapex Pro M called the Mapex Mars Pro...how does the Mapex Mars Pro compare to the newer Pro M as in drum shell wise etc?do they too have maple in the shell and basswood?i cant really say how nice my mapex is at the moment cause its in the garage and my garage offically hasd the worst acoustics in the world so it isnt really fair.having said that my mapex acrually sounds quite nice even in the garage,it used to be in my room but then it had sabian solars on it as well as the worst crappy cheap drum heads in the world.i apsire to own a sessions/masters/reference drum kit in the future because they are all really good looking kits and they have a very good reputation but to say i have only been playing a year i think my intermediate kit will do me just fine as i quite like the sound anyway!plz plz plz plz write me back with some information about my kit because i got it second hand with no information and i have researched it on the net and found nothing due to the line being discontinued,thanks rich :o

cathaoirdrums-101
10-28-2010, 06:19 PM
What is up with all the Mapex hate mail,**** them. Mapex kits are outstanding,and their hardware is pretty good and sturdy,dont no why that guy said they make bad hardware?

Jutt8
10-29-2010, 12:43 PM
What is up with all the Mapex hate mail,**** them. Mapex kits are outstanding,and their hardware is pretty good and sturdy,dont no why that guy said they make bad hardware?

Have you noticed that this was 5 years ago. Mapex has come a long way and make some great kits. I don't think the responses of today would be the same as what you see here from 5 years ago. Everyone has stepped up their game a lot in the drum industry. It's very competitive. There is no denying however, that Pearl has been putting out higher quality product for longer than many other companies, but even they have stepped it up as well IMO. It's a good time to be a drummer people.

therefore, at the time that this was written, I believe it was probably quite true that Pearl was the better product. I have yet to see or hear anyone put down a Session kit. At the same time, Mapex offers some great drums today for a great price. The list of positives could go on and on about these two companies and many others today.