PDA

View Full Version : Bell Brass shells?

Dmann
03-17-2006, 03:43 PM
Someone said something in another thread about the materials used on Tama's Bell Brass snares. It was said that they are not "true" bell brass or something like that. If they are not made out of Bell Brass, then what are they made of?

Junesong Provision
03-17-2006, 03:44 PM
its a hybrid of bell brass mixed with other metals.

Gilligan
03-17-2006, 10:50 PM
Bell brass is one group of the Bronze alloy family, really just a fancy name for Bronze.

Glass19
03-18-2006, 01:14 AM
It was me that said it. And Peter Potyondi who pointed it out originally....my contacts from OCDP who backed it up and TAMA at NAMM who confirmed it.

there are only 2 companies in the world who can provide solid 100% bell brass, Potyondi...and some other custom place.

The Tama Bell Brass is more like a mixture of other alloys along w/ bell brass. Actualy...one of the reps from Tama said it was more brass than bell brass.

thats all...still an amazing drum though! I just wanted something more pure and more custom. You can go that route if your willing to pay for it :)

mpthomson
03-20-2006, 06:13 AM
There are lots of different permutations of bell brass. As Gilligan says it is simply bronze. Saying there are only two true bell brass shells is a bit disingenuous as there really isn't any such thing as 'true' bell brass! It's the proportions of the components which differentiate between bronze alloys.

Dmann
03-20-2006, 03:35 PM
Does anyone know if the components of Tama's shells have changed over the years at all? Like from the one I have that came with Bell Brass hoops and the Starclassic ones they make now?

erwinner
03-20-2006, 03:44 PM
I got your bell brass right here!
brass is copper and zinc. Bronze is copper and tin. brass is much stronger than bronze. I don't know what the difference is beween "brass" and "bell brass" other than the lack of other elements in bell brass that could be present in regular brass. I do know that the single handbell in the foreground is worth over $3k by itself and we have 6 octaves of these bad boys here!

thetrooper
03-20-2006, 07:19 PM
Dear god.

Gilligan
03-20-2006, 09:07 PM
I got your bell brass right here!
brass is copper and zinc. Bronze is copper and tin. brass is much stronger than bronze. I don't know what the difference is beween "brass" and "bell brass" other than the lack of other elements in bell brass that could be present in regular brass. I do know that the single handbell in the foreground is worth over $3k by itself and we have 6 octaves of these bad boys here!

Right BUT "Bell-Brass" is 81% Copper and 19% tin.... it's BRONZE guys, anyway you slice it.