PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Potyondi 6x14 Solid 100% Bell Brass shell...opinions!

Glass19
03-15-2006, 05:29 PM
So, thanks to tax returns, I've decided to get myself a REAL custom snare!

Heres the idea:

6x14 Solid/Cast Potyondi 100% pure Bell Brass Shell (tama's are not pure 100% bell brass BTW)
http://www.potyondi.com

Then I will have OCDP do the edges, lugs, badge, air vent and whatever else custom I want.

The reasons I'm going w/ OCDP is becuase I get that stuff done real cheap over there thanks to my hook-ups! :)

Then I will slap some Tama Bell Brass Hoops on there to give it that rim shot sound!!

The opinions I'm looking for are on:

shell depth....I was playing w/ the idea of like a 7x14 or 7.5x14...but, I'm going for a versatile size with lots of fat thick crack...i'm sure the 6x14 will be a good size for tunning and will accomplish what I want...but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Apperance and Eye candy...what should I have OCDP do?

My friend suggested I do tube lugs...but I think the look of the OCDP lugs will be better...
http://www.ocdrum.com/drums/information.php <---see the "standard OCDP lug"

Should I get the lugs offset or straight up and down perfectly aligned?

Should I have the shell painted (a part of me just does not want to cover up the look and shine of the polished bell brass though) But i'm open to ideas on this.

should I have the mounted HW powder coated? I was thinking black...how classy...black on brass..or get satin w/ a satin OCDP badge. mmmmm...sexy.

Venting... How many vents and where should I place them..
And GOD NO I'M NOT GETTING 4 INCH VENTS Stamped threw my Bell brass shell...so don't even suggest that...good god.

I'was thinking 1-4 regular size vents...perhaps place in the middle of the shell or close to the batter or close to the snare side. what do you think?

any other ideas!?!

i'm so excited for this!

Shell Cost with out edges = $800.00

OCDP Labor and Parts = $300.00 or probably cheaper

Bell Brass Hoops = $460.00 from 1,2,3 music.com

Should be one hell of a studio and live snare.

Also, if I were to ever want to sell it (hope not) I'm sure the resell value of it would be great given its a potyondi custom solid pure bell brass shell and its go OCDP all over it.

so...what do you think!

and yes, this is a crazy idea but I love it!

scottiep
03-15-2006, 05:40 PM
will Peter do the shell without edges? Aren't his shells normally cast?

Glass19
03-15-2006, 05:45 PM
Yes and yes.

to be quite honest...even if he does do the edges that will be fine, OCDP can work w/ the edge that will be on there and redo them if its needed.

Junesong Provision
03-15-2006, 05:52 PM
wow. just wow. i don't even know where to start. first off, AMAZING shell choice. secoind off, you might want him to throw on some sort of clear coat before he sends it to you, otherwise the brass will deteriorate. if i were you, i'd have him do the edges and hardware, it'll probably be much cheaper than OCDP,even with hookups. plus OCDP will probably try to wrap it in glass glitter and boar some holes in it, i say keep it classy with some tube lugs, or even tama's starclassic lugs, those things are super classy. the bell brass hoops will totally wrap the whole thing up.

edit: i'd stick with one or two vents, a lot of venting kind of kills the tone.

Glass19
03-15-2006, 05:57 PM
Yes, I agree about the venting. Whats the point of this shell if i'm going to put holes all over the place.

I may just have him do the edges...thats something thats been tossed around in my head for awhile now.

But to respond back to the OCDP thing...Just given I have more options with them and it will be cheap...I can explain how cheap it will be but it will be cheap, that I know.

Junesong Provision
03-15-2006, 05:59 PM
and 7x14s are perfect. then again, i like deeeeeeeep snares.

Glass19
03-15-2006, 06:06 PM
yes, I too was thinking 7x14...that would add to the fatness of the sound and also...the bell brass no matter what wil give a huge crack sound.

7x14...hrm..........

bisonplayer
03-15-2006, 07:36 PM
you lucky bastard!!!

when it's all said and done, i will have a 14x7 cast iron and a 14x6 stainless steel by him...very awesome drums!

Big King
03-15-2006, 08:55 PM
if you are looking for a versitile snare, I'd consider getting zero vents, or maybe 1 thats about 2 centimeters wide. But thats it.

Symbolic
03-15-2006, 09:10 PM
Man.. thats gonna be one sick snare!.. I cant wait to see it :)

Junesong Provision
03-15-2006, 10:03 PM
you lucky bastard!!!

when it's all said and done, i will have a 14x7 cast iron and a 14x6 stainless steel by him...very awesome drums!
do you have them now? how is the 7x14?

Gilligan
03-15-2006, 10:48 PM
I would not let OC touch the drum, once Peter has it jigged for turning the shell, he is in the best shape to turn the bearing edges; once the jig is broken no one can ever get it back to the same precision. I'm sure Peter will turn any edge design you want, 45deg, 30deg, rounded, anything.

Bell brass is really nothing special, it's just cast bronze with a fancy title; read any materials spec and there are dozens of alloys with that title. So trying to distance this idea from the Tama product is symantics.

Peter's workmanship stands high above anything I've seen from OCDP, so I would just work with him on the specific design/comfiguration you want and pull the trigger. Once the shell is tooled up he can cut all sorts of patterns groves to make yours unique.He even has some custom solid lug designs to work with.

ihaveaglassjaw
03-15-2006, 10:52 PM
I would not let OC touch the drum, once Peter has it jigged for turning the shell, he is in the best shape to turn the bearing edges; once the jig is broken no one can ever get it back to the same precision. I'm sure Peter will turn any edge design you want, 45deg, 30deg, rounded, anything.

Bell brass is really nothing special, it's just cast bronze with a fancy title; read any materials spec and there are dozens of alloys with that title. So trying to distance this idea from the Tama product is symantics.

Peter's workmanship stands high above anything I've seen from OCDP, so I would just work with him on the specific design/comfiguration you want and pull the trigger. Once the shell is tooled up he can cut all sorts of patterns groves to make yours unique.He even has some custom solid lug designs to work with.

Exactly, don't get OCDP involved in this at all. You're getting a killer shell, keep it simple.

What do you meant by "vents"? Small airhole vents right?

Glass19
03-15-2006, 11:22 PM
Yes, after thinking about it, I think I will have Potyondi do the Edges...but leave it up to OCDP for the rest...I trust my friends over there...they have never messed up any of my other orders...

I know the reputation OCDP has here on these forums...to say "OCDP" is like starting a flame war, thats not what I'm asking for on here.

anyways...I'm thinking 7x14 and having the edges done by Potyondi. If anything its the snare bed I may have them alter a bit...

and besides, if OCDP was such crap, I wouldn't speak of them so much and I'm sure some of the members on this forum would have never gotten an OCDP kit or snare (slipknot1 for example)

lets just leave it at that.

Keep in mind OCDP is NOT making the shell and stuff..they are just mounting the HW and drilling out the vent holes and mounting lugs. And YES they do have a new computer guided process for this...its a new toy they have all been bragging about to me for some time.

Glass19
03-16-2006, 07:52 AM
UPDATE:

So I plan to do:

7x14

inner and outter 45 degree edges, and I will have Potyondi do it!

this snare is going to cost $$$$$$$$$$ wow!

but it will be something to save up to...it will take some months but I can do it.

When its all said and done, I will have an amazing snare for Studio recording and live! And I'm sure it will be the Town bike as many of my fellow drummers will probably want to use it for some recording sessions here and there.

woot!

Johnny Destroyer
03-16-2006, 09:54 AM
7x14

tube lugs, single tube lugs with small venting behind each and every tube lug

Get the Elvin Jones signiture mahogony hoop, your rim shots will sound...I'm not sure...a really really hard wood over that brass would sound crazy, You'll pull more clang and volume out of the shell with the brass on brass affect though...

Get a uerathane coating...ask the experts your buying the shell from...whatever is going to keep that shell airtight so you dont have to strip it down and polish it like a cymbal every five months will be a very wise investment. perhaps, just maybe, enabling you to pass said fine drum down to your first born male.

I would get some type of low mass, single point, tube lug...granted the brass is pretty rigid and the hardware dampening anything is pretty moot, any venting I would get would be small and behind the lug...unless your getting those OCPD lugs, or some type of lug that would completely cover up the venting..

I would basically go for a really class, jazzy look, Elvin Jones Mahongony hoop for a more unique rimshot, google search the Elvin Jones Signiture snare...Some Noble & Cooley snares.....thats the look I would go for.

Dmann
03-16-2006, 12:31 PM
If the Tama Bell Brass snare is not made of all Bell Brass, then what is it made of?

arnie-nemo
03-16-2006, 12:39 PM
omgawd, hurry up and get it done, and get 50% offset lugs too. i mean it.

street_CARP
03-16-2006, 01:46 PM
I contacted potyondi once about a bell brass drum and was informed that a pure bell brass shell would cost $1000 just to cast. They recommended a bronze drum for $475 and were of the opinion that it sounded better.

KJSM
03-16-2006, 01:58 PM
i personally would have chosen 14 x 7 rather than x6. x5.5= a good sound and x7= a good sound - x6 (even x 6.5) is a bit too in the middle for me, like a 12" tom. and id get something as close to either the DW Edge as possible, or something more tip top like a 40-ply vented acrylic (HAHA!)

Glass19
03-16-2006, 03:24 PM
actually I do plan to do 7x14 now.

the shell will be a 1/4 inch thick! or 6mm of pure goodness.

as for a bronze shell, I already have a cast 6.5x14 solid bronze snare...which is great...it gives a very woody sound w/ the projection of a metal snare.

the bell brass will give me great crack with huge fatness. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm huge crack.

Yes, I plan to go classy with this snare, nothing crazy as OCDP is usualy doing.
I honestly was thinking somthing simple...black lugs, black air vent(s), black trick strainer and throw off, black tension rods.

Perhaps 50% offset wouldn't be to bad!

I will look up those wood hoops...it would be a very interesting, unique, custom snare indeed! not to mention I'd save 460 bux on the friggen hoops! haha.

bisonplayer
03-16-2006, 07:39 PM
Get the Elvin Jones signiture mahogony hoop,

I'm almost positive those hoops are maple...they aren't dark enough to be mahogany.

Glass19
03-16-2006, 08:10 PM
i looked them up, they are 20 ply maple

spikeman23
03-16-2006, 08:44 PM
I contacted peter sometime last year about a 7x14 bell brass and he told me once the snare was done it would cost me about $1100.00 U.S that's $200.00 cheaper than tama's bell brass and it would be my specs.

Glass19
03-16-2006, 09:21 PM
yea...theres alot of reasons why I'm going w/ potyondi...

Custom...cheaper....quality....more, but i'm tired.

mpthomson
03-17-2006, 08:56 AM
Please don't have offset lugs, they just don't look classy! Have a feeling that black hardware with the BB hoops will look over fussy.

Keep it simple! Tube lugs would definitely be my choice!!

Gilligan
03-17-2006, 11:42 AM
I would look for Brady style lugs, standard or tube... so classy and beefy too.

Glass19
03-18-2006, 01:19 AM
Actually I so far have planned to do this:

7x14 Potyondi Bell Brass

7/8 offset tube lugs...the end part of the single sided lugs will both meet the other tube lugs middle part...if that makes sense at all...which I'm sure it doesn't :)

Tube lugs: I'm looking for some beefy tube lugs...the OCDP ones are too winky...the brady ones are nice...but no one sells them and I'm sure they'd be VERY expensive to special order if Brady would allow for it.

And I'm going to try to aim for a Black Nickel or Satin HW Gloss finish.

thats the current image thus far.

Master-Muh
03-18-2006, 02:35 AM
Get a custom badge.

Greg M
03-18-2006, 10:06 AM
Tube lugs: I'm looking for some beefy tube lugs...the OCDP ones are too winky...the brady ones are nice...but no one sells them and I'm sure they'd be VERY expensive to special order if Brady would allow for it.

If you want nice beefy tube lugs check out Ego tube lugs. Several different options, amazing quality, and they look stunning!

www.egodrumlugs.com

HardHitter
03-18-2006, 04:56 PM
My opinion on this matter is that you are a smart man. Take it from a Solid Series owner. You will not be dissappointed.

HardHitter
03-18-2006, 04:58 PM
Though after reading, I'd tell you to save OCDP the work and let Peter make the drum.

HardHitter
03-18-2006, 05:12 PM
Here are shots of my 7x13 solid steel. Tubes and a Trick gs007 throw. Full, pure projection and tone like no other drum on Earth.
1 - drum
2 - throw off
3 - shell thickness

Glass19
03-18-2006, 06:15 PM
wow! how thick is that snare?

my bell brass is to be a 1/4 inch thick..or 6mm. 1 mm more than my Mapex Solid Bronze shell.

I bet that thing takes heads off eh?

I'm having OCDP do it becuase like I said before, I can get the labor cheap not to mention I have so much more options and they are my trusted personnal friends. Not to mention I can simply drive down there ( 10mins away from me) and overlook the construction personally. I also like how they do their edges...not that I'm saying Potyondi's is bad...but OCDP does some stuff I prefer.

to each his own.

Like I said...OCDP seems to have such a terrible reputation on here....I know this...but I know of and have seen there work more than most have on here..been behind the scenes and all that jazz.....they do GREAT work...I think its just a company that everyone seems to make fun of or blame or just "ride" on all the time...

eh...I'm just going to leave it at that...this is about my SNARE!!!! not OCDP!!

I can't wait to place the order with Peter.

HARD HITTER - How did you go about paying? Do you use paypal and stuff? Did you pay half then the rest when it was done?

thanks!

By the way...does anyone know where you can get some Beefy tube lugs? I visisted Ego Drum lugs...they are nice beefy tube lugs but 250 for 20 of the lugs is way to much to be asking for and I didn't like how they had these little pins or something on the side of the tube lug balls.

any way here is an Idea of how I want the tube lugs to be setup...

7/8's off set and notice how the ball of the tube lug is in the center of the other tube lug. Thats how I want it.

:)

HardHitter
03-18-2006, 07:27 PM
wow! how thick is that snare?

HARD HITTER - How did you go about paying?

By the way...does anyone know where you can get some Beefy tube lugs? I visisted Ego Drum lugs...
:)

The shell is mmx style, thicker at top and bottom. Thick part is approx. 1/2 inch, the rest is 3mm. All one piece of steel.

I paid with an international money order, all at once before he started cause a huge chunk of his snare costs are in materials. Like 2/3 or more heh. BTW, my drum cost well less than a lot of non custom, non fancy "high end" snares on the market @ at whopping $625. Remember, US $ > CAN $. You'll laugh after computing the currency conversion.

Peter used the standard lugs he always uses when I asked for tubes, I had mentioned Ego to him though.

HardHitter
03-18-2006, 07:28 PM
And I just mentioned having Peter do the work because....well, it just makes more sense to me.

m3t4llica7495
03-19-2006, 11:48 AM
Definitly go with only one or two small vents. I really think you should look at different lugs IMO i can't stand the OCDP ones, but the square ones look nice i just don't like the standard. And for size i think 14x6.5 or 14x7 would be killer. Have fun with this and i can't wait to see the final results!

HardHitter
03-19-2006, 11:52 AM
The best venting you could get would in my opinion be along the lines of Tricks RPM system, check it out.

Glass19
03-19-2006, 05:15 PM
yea I changed plans on the OCDP lugs...but will tube lugs instead 7/8 offset.

I will also go with 2 or mayb 3 or 4 regular vents...dry out the sound a bit bringing out a dry fat beefy sond.

only question is where to place them...in the middle of the shell..towards the batter side or snare side...hrm.....

HardHitter
03-20-2006, 11:07 AM
Trick RPMs are little slots near top and bottom, reported to allow easier breathing of the drum thus increasing sensitivity and tuning range w/o stealing the shells tone.

Here's a little clip of mine, it needs no drying out with just the normal air vent.

ah, the uploader failed as always. What a suprise.

Glass19
03-20-2006, 01:49 PM
haha...damn! Please, if you find a way to get that clip up I'd love to hear it!

Gilligan
03-20-2006, 03:35 PM
The RPM idea is very sound. The small slots are between each lug and the bearing edge so not to be big and ugly.

HardHitter
03-20-2006, 04:19 PM
maaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyybe..........nope.

Glass19
03-21-2006, 02:13 PM
found some bell brass hoops for 300 bux...both snare side and batter side. they are alittle used but nothing bad at all...used about 5 times.

should I go for it?

Glass19
03-21-2006, 04:33 PM
too late..already bought them...pretty good condition..not warped or cracked thank god...all they really need is some lovin!

HardHitter
03-21-2006, 11:57 PM
Check the link in my signature in a while, I recorded some sample tracks with guitar and bass tonight with my Potyondi. They just need to finish loading to the server.

Glass19
03-22-2006, 01:22 AM
ah, I see what you mean! That snare sounds great!

What made you decide on the solid steel...just wondering?

how fast did you get your snare back after placing the order?

ihaveaglassjaw
03-22-2006, 01:39 AM
Glass19, in your signature...it says you have a Mapex Solid Bronze 14x6.5 snare. Is that the Phosphor Bronze? I'm getting one of those in a few weeks. How is it?

Glass19
03-22-2006, 03:44 AM
To be quite honest with you...I really don't know. I don't think its the phophor bronze...only because Mapex no longer make the Cast Solid Bronze anymore. When it was made it was Mapex's highest end snare...rivaled the Olchtree type snares and hell even bell brass...techically it IS a bell brass snare...its solid Bronze...and bronze is part of the Brass family... (I guess my potyondi 7x14 would be a much louder verison of what I have)

The Mapex Bronze I have was part of the Precious Metals series, and the specific one I own was purchased at NAMM 2004 or 2003...not sure...but the serial is 000055.

kinda cool.

It is a great snare...my favorite thus far. Bronze is very versatile when it comes to tunning. It also gives a very warm woody type sound...with metal projection. Its more woody than say a brass snare would be...brass is deffinitly more cutting and fat sounding but the Bronze is warm, woody, and focused. My bronze is about 5mm thick or so...very heavy and very very articulate and sensitive. I can easily achieve a fat back beat from it or a very poppy sound. It projects like any other normal snare though...it doesn't have some kind of extreme volume as say my potynodi bell brass will have. It also sounds extremely meaty when rimshotting...gives a very thick crack with some beef behind it...mixes great when playing live (mostly rockish stuff)
I also belive Josh Freese recorded with an 8 inch solid bronze snare on some of the APC albums...not sure though.

yea. :)

HardHitter
03-22-2006, 10:00 AM
To be fair, the snare has waaaaaaaaay more to it than those samples show, it was just picked up through room mics. But it shows the basics, a punchy crack of doom with pleasant ring.

Anyway, I chose steel for a couple reasons. I wanted bell brass, but considering Potyondi shell construction, I realized that may be overkill. Plus the material cost difference made my drum less expensive than almost any other custom drum. My order took extra long for some reason...ah yeah, the Trick throw got stuck in customs crossing the Can. border. Guess they thought it was a bomb or something. I ordered 8-20 or so and got it a week ahead of halloween.

Glass19
03-22-2006, 03:05 PM
wow, you sure did some waiting. And what did you mean about overkill with the bell brass given potyondi construction?

HardHitter
03-22-2006, 03:21 PM
Bell brass aint exactly mellow....then cast it in a solid 1/2" shell...get the idea?

Glass19
03-22-2006, 03:52 PM
hhaha...so yes, your speaking of how extremely loud and just insane the snare would be.

I understand

ihaveaglassjaw
03-22-2006, 08:24 PM
To be quite honest with you...I really don't know. I don't think its the phophor bronze...only because Mapex no longer make the Cast Solid Bronze anymore. When it was made it was Mapex's highest end snare...rivaled the Olchtree type snares and hell even bell brass...techically it IS a bell brass snare...its solid Bronze...and bronze is part of the Brass family... (I guess my potyondi 7x14 would be a much louder verison of what I have)

The Mapex Bronze I have was part of the Precious Metals series, and the specific one I own was purchased at NAMM 2004 or 2003...not sure...but the serial is 000055.

kinda cool.

It is a great snare...my favorite thus far. Bronze is very versatile when it comes to tunning. It also gives a very warm woody type sound...with metal projection. Its more woody than say a brass snare would be...brass is deffinitly more cutting and fat sounding but the Bronze is warm, woody, and focused. My bronze is about 5mm thick or so...very heavy and very very articulate and sensitive. I can easily achieve a fat back beat from it or a very poppy sound. It projects like any other normal snare though...it doesn't have some kind of extreme volume as say my potynodi bell brass will have. It also sounds extremely meaty when rimshotting...gives a very thick crack with some beef behind it...mixes great when playing live (mostly rockish stuff)
I also belive Josh Freese recorded with an 8 inch solid bronze snare on some of the APC albums...not sure though.

yea. :)

Wow, do you have pics of this snare? Also, would you sell it?

Glass19
03-22-2006, 09:03 PM
Pics YES! I will take some and put them up..

Sell it...NEVER. It is deffinitly a keeper.

I am thinking of selling off my Limited Mapex Handhammered Brass snare though.

heres a pic of the Limited.

http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAMM04/Content/Mapex/PR/Black-Panther-Hammered-lg.jpg