PDA

View Full Version : loudest snare head combination

makeyourself751
03-11-2006, 08:45 AM
i tried out for a band yesterday and im pretty much in he just says i need to play the snare louder any suggestions?

BTW- i was using 7ANs which are really thin so im gonna get some thicker sticks to help with the loudness

Paiste402
03-11-2006, 04:30 PM
rim shots are cutting......

needforspeed182
03-11-2006, 05:05 PM
Mic it? Pretty much any 1 ply head aswell.

thismercifulfate
03-11-2006, 06:41 PM
It's not only the head, but the snare that can change the volume. Metal snares can be very loud and cutting, single-ply heads like a Remo Ambassador will add volume. Nevertheless, my RC Maple Series Snare with coated ambassador and stock reso is louder than any metal snare I have ever played, it's 7-ply i believe. I play with 7AN/8AN sticks and it's still darn loud. Also, crank the head to get more volume out of it if you already haven't done so.

Aries07
03-11-2006, 09:27 PM
Die cast hoops... High tuning.... and rimshots... But obviously an Oak or Metal snare will be louder...

Nathan.
03-11-2006, 09:34 PM
just hit it harder. my left arm is always wacking that snare harder than I'm hitting any of my other drums. sticks will definitely have an effect though. I can make a lot more noise with 2B's than I can with my usual 5A's.

ManŠ Master
03-12-2006, 06:08 AM
Rimshots!! I play 7a too, and never have anny problems :D. try to play rimshots, it wil much louder! and try to find your sounds. A rimshot in the centre of the head wil Cut extremly, if you hit a rimshot more to the Hoop, it wil sing. Try and find out your best sound!! I play my most snares high tuned and i let them sing around :)

Good luck !!
Paul

Gilligan
03-12-2006, 07:52 AM
Try the Aquarian New-Orleans Special (NOS).... very loud and clear.....

Drumage4u
03-12-2006, 07:59 AM
I ALWAYS use remo heads, but not for the snare. I have an old export snare and I use the Evans Genera HD Dry on top and the Evans Snare Side 300 Hazy on bottom. That thing is a little too loud really. Perhaps that will help.

DEREKHUDSON
03-12-2006, 01:06 PM
what works for me is.....

7x14 20 ply snare with die casts
2b sticks
either aquarian performance 2 texture coated or evans super tough head cranked.

that will give you a loud *** snare....that and making sure to put alittle omphhh into each back beat ;)

TempesT68
03-13-2006, 02:40 AM
You've gotta get a good snare if you are using something cheap. Most all quality snares are LOUD and will cut in any band situation.

Mule
03-13-2006, 03:45 AM
get a bigger snare. 14x4 isnt gonna cut.

nzrocker
03-13-2006, 09:35 AM
Get a deeper snare.

dannyboy
03-13-2006, 09:53 AM
You've gotta get a good snare.
dude, he has a dw :P

_Big_Mac_
03-13-2006, 10:10 AM
One ply head will give you MORE volume than two ply.

But more important than sheer volume is "cutting". That special tone that just gets through the amps, you surely know what I mean. Crank those heads - don't be afraid if you get a bit of that "ping", it won't be heard over the band - and don't keep the snare wires too tight - that chokes the drum and makes it cut worse. Again, don't sweat if the snares vibrate when the guitar or bass is played - that won't be heard either.

Then you can experiment with hitting the drum in different spots. Hitting in the center will give you a shorter, deader shot, while hitting a bit farther out will generate more ring. You'll have to experiment which cuts better. Rimshots IMHO are the last resort. They should be used for accents, not regular playing all the time. If you have to use rimshots all the time it means the rest of the band is simply too loud.

Also, maybe you simply are hitting to softly? Maybe experiment with fatter sticks, they should give more power.

So to sum up, the heads are not the most important factor in loudness. Yes, 1ply will be louder than 2ply, but tuning then is more important.

Rarified27
03-13-2006, 10:16 AM
just hit it harder. my left arm is always wacking that snare harder than I'm hitting any of my other drums.

Yea...go ahead and ignore that. Unless you enjoy carpal tunnel and nerve damage.

If you want to play your instrument, you have to respect it too. We're playing drums- not driving railroad spikes.

Try a deeper drum than 4" and maybe a beefier stick. You shouldn't have to go bigger than a 5b to get what you're looking for. Anything bigger than a 5b won't produce a louder sound, just a different timbre.

JohnC//
03-14-2006, 04:20 AM
So for volume tune the head tight.

What about the reso head?

Naigewron
03-14-2006, 05:11 AM
Get them to turn down. Seriously, everyone else has volume controls, you don't. They can turn down.

Failing that, do rimshots, use heavier sticks, get a metal snare. The loudest head I've tried so far is the Aquarian Hi-Energy. It sounds really good too, not just loud. Crisp, clear and cutting.

AxxI
03-14-2006, 09:13 AM
He can't rimshot trough all songs. thats just damn stupid.
And yes you can get a loud sound out of a 4". MANY death and black metal drummers use 4" deep snare drums. Just crank that snare head up WAY up. It will cut. I have Remo Emperor on my snare and it cuts as hell when i tune it high.

You won't get so much body in your snare because you have a 4" but you can still get a damn loud crack.

Buy 5b or 2b sticks, crank that snare head and you will be rocking.

DruMMer PuNk
03-14-2006, 03:06 PM
I ALWAYS use remo heads, but not for the snare. I have an old export snare and I use the Evans Genera HD Dry on top and the Evans Snare Side 300 Hazy on bottom. That thing is a little too loud really. Perhaps that will help.
put that combo on a metal drum and your problem is solved.

DruMMer PuNk
03-14-2006, 03:07 PM
So for volume tune the head tight.

What about the reso head?
Tighter.

drummer111
03-14-2006, 03:13 PM
pork pie pig lite 14x6 acrylic will do the trick witll ambassador top and bottom cranked thats the ticket

Scolecite
03-14-2006, 08:08 PM
I have a Pearl FF Piccolo and its loud as all get out. REMO ambassador coated top, forget whats on bottom(my reso head is tight like way high pitched), high tuning where I actully use hand strength for the top and less on the bottom, die cast rims, 10 lugs, the works. Don't buy a new snare! Work with the one you have. Tune it up more and hit rim shots, 5B's are what stick size you should go to.

Gilligan
03-14-2006, 10:31 PM
On the stick front, try Pro-Mark "Jazz" sticks in Japanese Oak.... longer than a 7a, heavier too, but the same grip and speed.... the best stick I've ever played!

Thrush
06-20-2011, 05:33 PM
He can't rimshot trough all songs. thats just **** stupid

Why not? Works for me; every other snare hit is a rim shot for me. It's nothing to do with volume tho; I like how it sounds. And my snares aren't "quiet" snares either; the CZX has a nice thick shell which gives great volume, and the carbon snare is just ridiculously loud.

Yes you can get decent volume and sound from a 14x4, but in the case of the OP, I'd go for a 14x5.5, or 6.4 preferably (or a 13x7 like my carbon one), single ply Ambassador on the top, with probably an Ambassador Snare on the reso, CRANK them, learn to rimshot your back beats (it doesn't have to be every hit, or even half, but it adds power to a back beat). I'd keep the snares fairly tight; tighter crack, and keeps the ring in check a little more. Some say it chokes the drum, but I doubt we're talking about playing jazz here...

thismercifulfate
06-21-2011, 03:23 PM
You're joining this thread about 5 years late man....

Thrush
06-21-2011, 03:29 PM
Yes, I knew that before I posted

xJcx
06-21-2011, 08:20 PM
heads imo, dont change the volume that much.
its sticks and snare.
7as are too thin if you need more volume.
diecast hoops help.
and metal snares help even more. or oak like aries07 suggested.
a yamaha musashi oak for example.

and deeper depths give you a fuller tone, mabey something you might want to look into. 6.5" depths and so on.

i use a 14x7 maple snare and 8D sticks (7as but longer) and i hit wayyy too hard. i had to change to a 5.5" depth snare and started using traditional grip more. lol. (i dont get much power out of tradition grip)

hwy 49
06-21-2011, 09:21 PM
14X8 snare,powerstroke 3 and a set of 2B hickory works for me

Naigewron
06-22-2011, 12:13 AM
This thread is five years old. I'm sure he's found a snare head by now.

Thrush
06-22-2011, 05:16 AM
*sigh* Yes, we know it is, what does that matter? Do you think the OP is the only one that might have come across this situation? No, there will be, and have been, others. So the age of the thread is neither here nor there. Someone may come across it and think "perfect, an answer, or advice on, something I'm dealing with"

And even if they don't, whats the problem? Was it really worth posting about the age of the thread? You've been here long enough to remember back in the day when every other reply was "search" or "this thread has been covered before", usually from mods, but of course the user-body jumped on that bandwagon too. It drove a lot of people away. Yet it's ironic now, that the opposite is happening. Someone DOES dig up an old thread, all they see are people saying the thread is old. Thread age has nothing to do with content; it can be as relevant today as it was 5, or 10, years ago.

The PDF is not just a chat room, it's also a resource...

Naigewron
06-22-2011, 05:24 AM
True enough, point taken :cool:

hwy 49
06-22-2011, 07:20 AM
:D

SeelenlanD
06-22-2011, 02:44 PM
I was reading through the posts before the newer, bumped thread ones, and it was never stated what kind of band he was trying out for. Maybe it's because I'm a bigger guy, but I've never had to resort to rimshots for more volume.I have never been a brutish basher in whatever I play,rather I just crank the batter a bit tighter and I find that sweet spot in the drum! If he was trying out for like a metal-core band or whatever, it seems like those guys rely too much on rimshots! There's quite a few bands like that up here, and all their drummers rim shot the piss out of everything they do, but lo-and-behold, when they go to a blast beat, the volume of the snare drops by half because they're tapping it, doing that "finger flutter" to get more speed. That's another reason why, when I was playing in my black metal band over the last few years, I never went to rim shots, I liked having my blast beats cut through just as much on the snare as when I would go to something slow, or even a "thrash" beat. In fact, I've had ppl both complain and compliment me because they thought my snare was too loud! lol But if you're more of a rock drummer, something thats not as fast as most metal is these days, then yeah, rim shots are awesome. I don't have an issue with ppl doing them, I just found my style of playing doesn't call for it. *Shrugs* That's what makes us unique as drummers though,right? haha
Anyway, I agree that the depth of the snare makes a difference for sure, but the make of the shell itself can really make a difference. I had a 4" deep Free Floating snare years ago, but being it was a brass shell, that **** overpowered the rest of my kit (which was an Export at the time). All my snares now are wood (except for my Joey Jordison, which I don't really play on that much, the sound just doesn't work for what I do now days), and I just use plain ol Remo Ambassadors, and it always sounds great! :cool:
I agree with Thrush that this is still a valid subject, whether or not the particular thread itself is over 5yrs old! ;)

Up The Irons!
06-26-2011, 11:09 PM
I just got a Starclassic Copper 5.5"x14". Good Lord is it loud.

A very loud (and durable) head woul be a marching head. A Evans Hybrid head, for instance. They give off some incredible pop.

I cannot stand rim shots. Sh** gives me a headache.

I play traditional and my left hand is louder than when I play matched. I've worked on it for a bit. And I feel boss doing it.

I went to a drum shop a few days ago and was playing a Tama Artwood piccolo. 4"x14". A real firecracker, and some sweet engineering. There was no rim overlay on the reso side. Kind of like an octoban. And the snares layed over the entire head. It was awesome, but I fortunately picked up my Copper not too long ago. :)

lovetheblues
06-27-2011, 06:25 AM
I agree with the statements that PDF is a resource, and others might have a similar question. But anyway, for me, the question has been answered: Suggestions have been made re heads and stick weight, and then to me the most important suggestion of all:

Get them to turn down. Seriously, everyone else has volume controls, you don't. They can turn down...

And also, when you add the following, it seems that the thread has been well and truely answered:

He can't rimshot trough all songs. thats just **** stupid.

(Yes, I saw someone say something like "Why not, works for me". Well the reason why not is that it gives you no dynamic control/headroom: Nowhere to go if there is a louder part in the song. Kind of like those amateur bands who are proud to claim that their amps can only be set to "11".)

Thrush
06-27-2011, 08:35 AM
Naturally, I rim shot through the heavier sections, and not through the quieter sections. I also said I don't rim shot EVERY stroke, but most. I don't know a single person that would rimshot EVERY beat they hit on the snare; ghost notes, off beats, time beats, etc. But the majority of the back beats, yes I rimshot them...

Patriot
06-29-2011, 12:02 PM
If you have a DW 14" x 4 snare, you are in good shape. I have one and have played it live with great results. I also have many other deeper shell snares that the DW sounds better than in many live situations. In fact, I would take that snare as a back-up and it was usually the one I ended up playing because it just sounded better.

Make sure you don't have the snare wires too tight.
Make sure the top head is tight but not choking the drum.
Tune the bottom head a 3rd above the top head and adjust to your liking from there.
Buy some 5A sticks, or heavier if you prefer
Add a little snap to you technique, if you arenít already
As far as heads go, I have an Evans ST Dry on mine and it sounds amazing. A coated ambassador or equivalent should do the trick, as well. I wouldn't go HD dry because it will muffle the drum and you won't get as much of the high end tone out of it.

That should do it. If they still think you are too quiet then maybe they are too loud, but I'm telling you that snare should cut big time if tuned and played properly.

And don't listen to the jack*****'s telling you to just hit rim shots. Those are for special occasions:)

Good luck!