PDA

View Full Version : Export snare i got it to sound pretty good!

BiscBassDrum
03-11-2006, 08:43 AM
Hey through a lil trial and error i know have the evans power reverse dot on top and the hazy 500 on the bottom with the puresound equilizer snares and tuned up this bad boy sounds pretty good

HHXplorer
03-11-2006, 09:05 AM
That's good!
Snare that sound good is always good

Private_Snowball
03-11-2006, 09:05 AM
i have a reverse dot and its dished:( im a hard hitter. i just ordered a remo CS dot snare head. ill try sumthing like that out soon cheers dude!

jet.
03-11-2006, 10:51 AM
I've got a PCRD on my floor right now for my EX snare. It used to have a Evans ebony Hydro and ebony glass res, then i switched to an Aquarian Coated, Textured, Power dot with Hazy 300. Hopefully this PCRD will give me the oomph i need.

How tight are your heads screwed on?

WSDrumzilla
03-11-2006, 11:03 AM
I've got a PCRD on my floor right now for my EX snare. It used to have a Evans ebony Hydro and ebony glass res, then i switched to an Aquarian Coated, Textured, Power dot with Hazy 300. Hopefully this PCRD will give me the oomph i need.

How tight are your heads screwed on?

You do realize that the Evans Black Resonant is way too thick to be a snare side head? I would never use anything thicker than a Remo Emperor Snare Side or Evans Hazy 500, both are 5mil heads.

The Evans Resonant Black is a 7mil head. That's way too thick.

WSDrumzilla
03-11-2006, 11:04 AM
i have a reverse dot and its dished:( im a hard hitter. i just ordered a remo CS dot snare head. ill try sumthing like that out soon cheers dude!

Then check your technique. You shouldn't be hitting so hard you that you have dished a PCRD or Remo CS. Try pulling sound out of the drum instead of pounding it into the drum. Your playing will benefit from this and the tone of your drums will too.

jet.
03-11-2006, 11:35 AM
You do realize that the Evans Black Resonant is way too thick to be a snare side head? I would never use anything thicker than a Remo Emperor Snare Side or Evans Hazy 500, both are 5mil heads.

The Evans Resonant Black is a 7mil head. That's way too thick.

What are you on about? The Evans Glass reso isn't thick at all! Head is 7 mil. (extra thin)

Private_Snowball
03-11-2006, 12:01 PM
Then check your technique. You shouldn't be hitting so hard you that you have dished a PCRD or Remo CS. Try pulling sound out of the drum instead of pounding it into the drum. Your playing will benefit from this and the tone of your drums will too.

well its not so much of me hitting hard all the time i do and a dont kinda thing its probably the fact i have it really tight and when i hit it hard it screws up the head but i am starting to be a lighter player when i can. but in gigs its hard to keep myself from going wild:D

The.Magic.Medicine.Worked
03-12-2006, 08:09 PM
What are you on about? The Evans Glass reso isn't thick at all! Head is 7 mil. (extra thin)

yea, it is a thin head. but a SNARE SIDE head is usually 3 mil.

jet.
03-12-2006, 08:50 PM
yea, it is a thin head. but a SNARE SIDE head is usually 3 mil.

Usually, exactly. Nothing wrong with a 7mill. The Glass Res is not called "extra thin" for nothing.

stevo30
03-12-2006, 09:12 PM
I would never use anything thicker than a Remo Emperor Snare Side or Evans Hazy 500, both are 5mil heads.
The Emp is 2 ply, and it doesnt exist as a snare side head

TempesT68
03-13-2006, 02:39 AM
The export is not a good sounding snare, but i'm sure you get it decent with the setup. I would suggest getting a better snare as soon as you can.

ct_7_05
03-13-2006, 06:35 AM
Yeah, I agree with tempsest completely. I unfortunately still have my export snare too. Doesn't sound too bad with a remo emperor x batter and ambassador reso. I'm goin for one of the new Sensitone Elite Brass Snares very very soon. Those things look sweet as hell.

TempesT68
03-13-2006, 06:27 PM
Yeah, I agree with tempsest completely. I unfortunately still have my export snare too. Doesn't sound too bad with a remo emperor x batter and ambassador reso. I'm goin for one of the new Sensitone Elite Brass Snares very very soon. Those things look sweet as hell.

Great choice, the brass sensitones are a great bang for the buck.

The.Magic.Medicine.Worked
03-13-2006, 08:43 PM
Usually, exactly. Nothing wrong with a 7mill. The Glass Res is not called "extra thin" for nothing.

what style of music do you play?
and do you use muffling on your snare?

they call it "extra thin" cuz its an extra thin tom head. its "extra thick" when compared to even the thickest snare side head. but it all depends on what sound your looking for.

jet.
03-13-2006, 08:45 PM
Heavy stuff, predominantly blast/grind man. It's all good now, the Evans PCRD seems to have done the trick. :)

edit: Cheers all! :D

mattsimonton
03-13-2006, 08:57 PM
I have a falam kevlar head and ambassador snare side on mine and it is ear piercing lol
matt

jano
03-14-2006, 07:22 AM
Some of you guys are confusing snare side heads with reso heads for toms.

Snare reso heads are 2 mil (.002 in) such as Diplomat Snare Side or Hazy 200, 3 mil such as Ambassador Snare Side or Hazy 300, and 5 mil such as Emporer Snare Side and Hazy 500. Yes, Remo calls its 5 mil snare side an Emporer and it is not 2-ply like the Emporer batters.

7 mil heads such as the Diplomat or Resonant Black / Resonant Glass are "extra thin" heads for toms. They are not marketed for snares for a very good reason, that being they are too thick to give decent snare reponse for rolls, light ghost notes and medium volume.

Check out the manufacturers' websites, they are a wealth of info about the head specs, characteristics and uses.