PDA

View Full Version : Mix and Matching heads?

Hoff-Man_BMX
03-09-2006, 10:28 AM
Do you million snare guys have different heads on your snares? Or do you use the same one.
Reason i'm asking is I have a Focus X on my 14x5" Maple PDP, and now i'm getting a Catalina Birch, and I bought a Focus X for it because I like the sound it produces.
That and im going to be getting a 6.5x14" Black Brass soon, and im wondering what head would allow the best sound to come out of the drum?

pearldrummer014
03-09-2006, 10:30 AM
aquarian satin finish over classic clear snare head.
ambassador or emporor over ambassador
evans g1 or g2 over hazy 300

drummer111
03-09-2006, 10:34 AM
it all depends on the sound i am trying to achieve and if a certain company has it then i will use that company

WSDrumzilla
03-09-2006, 11:09 AM
For me I use anything between a Remo Coated Ambassador to a Remo Coated CS. For smaller snares I tend to use the Coated Ambassadors so the drum doesn't get choked. For my 14" snares I tend to use the Coated CS, especially on maple drums, they bring out the nice woody tone.

For metal especially steel I use Remo Coated PS3's with or without dot depending on how I feel I guess.

lud2002
03-09-2006, 11:11 AM
It depends on the shell, size, hoops, and of course the sound you want. For instance, I use either a coated Emperor or CS Dot on my 6.5"x14" Supra, but a coated Ambassador on my 5"x14" Supra. I like the 5"x14" to breathe/sing a little since it's shallower. But I like a little more muffling on the 6.5"x14" to take out some of the ring, so I do that by either a 2-ply or a 1-ply with a dot for a more focused sound.

For my maple snare, I either use a coated Ambassador or CS Dot so I can hear the woody tone.

Johnny Destroyer
03-09-2006, 12:16 PM
thinner heads will have a poppier, ringier quality, while dampened, thick heads will have a focused, and basically tonally deader sound.

I use the Aquarian focus x and a super thin classic clear on my steel shell snare, I get a really high, grading, metallic crack, and I love it.

The drum shell will determine the real sound, the head just sorta modifies it, Your head selection should sound different on your new snare, unless there similar dimensions and materials..

jeffjdm1
03-09-2006, 12:30 PM
I just put a CS coated Blk dot onbottom on a 6.5 x 14 Then muffled it a little... Nicccce!!!

jon
03-09-2006, 05:50 PM
it depends on what sound i'm looking for in that particular drum and the characteristics of that head. for instance, i use a Remo Emporer X with a ambassador hazy on my 14X8 freefloater, an ambassador top and bottom on my 13X5 trick aluminum snare, an ambassador top and bottom again on my 14X5 black panther limited edition hammered brass snare, and a fiberskyn with an ambassador bottom on my 12X5 manu katche snare. I think you should experiment and just find what head sounds best on what drum.