PDA

View Full Version : Wood Hoops or Die Cast?

JohnBonham=Beast
03-07-2006, 05:40 PM
I'm searching for something to add some flavor to my Epiarch snare. Could someone go in depth on each type of hoop?

I'm not sure what the die-cast does persay. Something along the lines of making it "crisper" and "more cutting." Does that mean it takes away some of the snares natural ring?

And do wood hoops add to that ring? I've heard them characterized as giving a snare "more body."

My snare is tuned relatively low do get a fat pop out of it right now and I want to keep it that way, but it seems like something's missing from the sound I want. I want it to be very clear and pretty sensitive but yet have that low pitch to it.

Thanks in advance! :)

stevo30
03-07-2006, 07:42 PM
IMO for what you want, wood hoops would be better. a 20 ply shell is already focussed enough, and die-cast hoops would be overkill. The wood hoops would allow to have that natural "woody" crack, nice body.

JohnBonham=Beast
03-07-2006, 07:44 PM
thanks yo!

criticdrummer
03-07-2006, 08:07 PM
WOOD HOOPS

(man the flash really kills the blue glass glitter)

trickg
03-07-2006, 08:20 PM
I put a die cast hoop on the batter side of the 10-ply Keller shell snare drum that I made, and it did two things - rimshots really crack/cross sticking pops and clicks with a nice snap, and it cut out a lot of over ring. I use a plain single ply Aquarian Satin Finish snare batter and thanks to the die cast hoop, it serves as the perfect combination of poppy ring sans any muffling or dampening, and it has a nice crispy crack if I add a studio ring. It just depends on the song.

I have no experience with wood hoops.

Junesong Provision
03-08-2006, 10:14 AM
IMO for what you want, wood hoops would be better. a 20 ply shell is already focussed enough, and die-cast hoops would be overkill. The wood hoops would allow to have that natural "woody" crack, nice body.
agreed 100%. i'm actually not a big fan of die cast hoops at all, i love a nice, open sounding snare. i'm getting wood hoops for mine once global starts producing them.