PDA

View Full Version : how many people have family support for their drumming

thewildestturkey
04-07-2003, 10:51 PM
hey people, i was just curious as to how many peoples perants/syblings help them on their music path? my perants dont mind me playing, but they dont exactly encorage it. also, can ne1 post nepics they have of vitage fade srx? i think its the color i want, but just to be sure. cause marine fade is pretty damb cool...

Flipkid
04-08-2003, 05:34 AM
I was fortunate when I was young because my Dad was a professional musician (part-time by the time I came along) so both of my parents were very supportive of me being a musician.

And, later in life, both of my spouses (my ex and my current wife) understood from the get-go how important music was/is to me and are also incredibly patient and supportive.

thewildestturkey
04-08-2003, 05:38 AM
gee, u had it lucky. im only 16, and my ex girl hated my music, musitianship, hence her being my ex. your a lucky guy to have the much support.

Joey
04-08-2003, 10:14 AM
Just yesterday my sister threatened to set my drums on fire. Thats how much support I get. If I try to play for more than 30 minutes at a time, my parents make me stop. I am home alone today (sick), so I guess now I will make up for it :D

GotMyDrums22
04-08-2003, 02:14 PM
I get support, the only support i don't get is to buy stuff except sticks...

Ambion
04-08-2003, 07:56 PM
My parents supported me on the piano as a kid, and when I got a drumset, it would have been hypocritical for them to not support that. They never bought anything for me, of course, but they'd let me practice anytime between 10:00 and whenever it got dark, excluding shows. My dad was very musical so it was great having him around, and we'd jam every now and then as well. My parents went to almost all my musical functions, and drove me and the drumset around when I needed to go someplace. They were fair and supportive, and I'm glad for it. My deepest sympathies to anyone who doesn't have parental support for music.

luvmydrumz
04-09-2003, 10:08 AM
I never had any ovewhelming support from my mom and dad when I lived at home. They were social butterflys so they were out all the time, giving me lots of time to drum.
My wife and kids are very supportive.
My kids will always have my support.

dafreshprince85
04-09-2003, 10:17 AM
The only reason i have a drumkit in my room was because my mom came home one day three years ago and found i had gone out and bought one. Because it was in a sale she couldn't take it back and because it was a pile of ****, she couldn't sell it

So they have no choice. My missus likes my kit but she would prefer it if i got a bigger bed! Unfortunately the size of my kit hasn;t allowed me to

Kaz

Medic1121
04-09-2003, 10:54 AM
My parents weren't thrilled about it, but I played on practice pads as much as I could to keep the annoyance factor to a minimum.

By the time I got married I was playing in a band for a few years so it was just a fact of life. My wife uses it as a social outlet and my kids are all interested in music to some extent.

doc_on_drums
04-11-2003, 06:22 AM
My parents supported me getting into music, just NOT drums. I bought my first kit at age 17 from money I made working a farm raising feeder pigs. It was an old Tempro (yes, that's the brand). I wasn't allowed to play in the house, I had to set up my kit in the feed shed and play out there.
I have had better luck with my wife, she has always supported my music, both as a drummer and as a disc jockey. Even accepting two of the bands I've been in holding practice in our livingroom. My kit is now set up in our living room (band broke up a couple weeks ago) my next band will likely practice here.

Tabla_Man
04-11-2003, 01:24 PM
I must have alot of family support, because my wife keeps letting me buy stuff.:D

antiviolent
04-11-2003, 08:10 PM
My parents have been supportive, tons.
They bought my kit, and most everything on it. Yeah... I know.. kind of spoiled... but i dont get much else... and im not complaining. Also, they usually drive me around to different shows i have to play. But so all of you know, I AM buying my next kit. (pearl MRX)

drummer dude 13
04-13-2003, 12:12 AM
my mom some what supportive. i had to buy everything exept a few things from birthdays and christmas. my dad could careless consdering i see him about once every 3 to 4 months. my mom lets me play from 8 to 8. on the other hand my neighbors hate it. they called the cops and i had to biuld a studio type thing in my garge. it is to small and we have to have band practice in there.

sorry if this kind of jumps around ive had a long day and im really tired.

EHSsnare03
04-13-2003, 11:28 AM
Hey dude I'm in the same boat with that. My parents and relatives and syblings like it and encourage it but they are not too excited about me wanting to make a living off of it. I know it is hard for me or any drummer to just make it into the music business like no problem. They hope I find a backup plan besides drumming. Don't worry man your not alone I'm in a similar position.

pearlplayer16
04-13-2003, 11:47 PM
My mom and dad have been very supported with my drumming ... on weekends i have an 11 pm rule to get off the drums and on weeknights its 9 pm . i used to not do good in school and got bad grades, and even failed 4th grade . they made me a deal in 7th grade that if i kept a B+ average ( perfect 3.5 ) that if something needed replaced or if i NEEDED something to tell them , as long as i had a B+ average .. ever since that day i have had an A- minus average (3.6 average ) in my last 3 years of middle school and 2 years of high school . the end of my 9th grade year i wanted to prove to my parents that i had changed so i told them not to buy me anything for my birthday or when my report card came .. the 2nd semester of this year i hold a 3.6 and i am not motivated by anything except myself .. . and my parents nearly **** themselves.

moral of the story ? - Dont be a little punk and disobey your parents , they are USUALLY there to help you through-out your life . prove to them you can motivate yourself ... hold a good steady grade card , get a job , dont be a little ***** and you will get good in return .... Sorry to tell my life story ,but if it will help any of you i suggest try it

JPD
04-18-2003, 07:26 AM
I'm lucky. I've always had support from the beginning. My parents have always pushed music. My wife understands my need to play and to create. She's awesome. My kids love that I play. Now I'm being supportive to my kids.

Les Hammond
05-02-2003, 08:38 AM
My kids and grand-kids just think I've lost the plot ! Support ? HUH :D :D

AussieDrums
05-07-2003, 12:49 AM
Mum and Dad were always at least supportive of my playing, and provided I didn't play too late at night or whilst they were sleeping, or my sister was studying, all was good. Sister was usually supportive provided I didn't practice when she was in a bad mood...! Although both parents were unmusical, they tried to help where they could by driving me around to rehearsals and although we couldn't afford lessons regular lessons, trying to get enough up for the occaisonal one. I always felt guilty to ask them for money for sticks or a drum set, so it was real motivation to get out there and work hard to buy my own set when I was 18.

I have been accused by an ex of loving my drums and drumming more than I loved her.

She was 100% correct... I broke up with her about 10mins later as it was the deadset truth!

Most of my friends and former relationships were generally supportive, I suppose they saw it as being just part of me so put up (generally) with the constant tapping on my legs or the steering wheel in the car when the radio was on.

QiaN666999
05-08-2003, 10:35 AM
no support at all from family, but no objection either.

powermatt99
05-08-2003, 12:46 PM
I get plenty of monetary support from my wife. She brings home the bacon since I am still a full-time student. Basically, she gives me about $60/month for my musical interests. She will also go out of her way and get me stuff if I need it. Despite this, she doesn't understand why I would want another cymbal if I already have a few. Or she will ask if I want to sell my cymbals and get 5-$10 12" Wuhans from Musicians Friend. She doesn't get it. I guess its a good thing, cause she thinks I am the best, without knowing any better.

MrDrummer
05-08-2003, 09:29 PM
My parents are fairly supportive, but i have to buy most of the stuff, except if i can get my uncle or grandma(suprisingly she loves my drumming) to buy it. My neigbors dont mind they like it. My brother on the other hand plays the sax and my parents buy him anything he needs.

zorno
05-11-2003, 10:35 PM
My mom (who I live next to and use her garage to keep my set and mustang in) likes to listen to me play. She knows thats how I release stress. My wifes great too. She's a slave-driver. If I dont play or practice, she's on me. She even offered to goto the music shop and pick something up the other day out of the blue. I declined but I thought that was a nice gesture. My kids are 6 and 5 and people get a kick out of them when they play (they can actually hold the beat and go around the set). I would say yes to the question.

drumtrix
05-15-2003, 09:14 AM
ironically enough my mother saved and bought me my first kit which was an old export set. i have had support with every band i have been in, and even more so now. my mother just lent me money to pick up my new srx marine blue fade. so i must be one of the lucky ones. check out my new band at blindbynoon.com.