PDA

View Full Version : Snare Material????

ME+DRUMS
02-13-2006, 06:04 PM
Hello,

I have decided that i need a piccolo snare for my situation. What sound do different materials give? I own a maple snare already.....but what about metal vs. brass??? What does brass sound like compared to metal.

Also, what material will be the quietest????................... Im thinking like 3-4 x 13....have at it :D thx

trickg
02-13-2006, 06:13 PM
Also, what material will be the quietest????................... Im thinking like 3-4 x 13....have at it :D thx
What material will be the most quiet? Is this something you are actually looking for?

ME+DRUMS
02-13-2006, 06:17 PM
What material will be the most quiet? Is this something you are actually looking for?

yes i think i have shared to you before about my situation.....but yes i need a queiter snare........go read my other thread in snare section thx

ME+DRUMS
02-13-2006, 07:52 PM
anyone have any opinions?

Gherkin
02-13-2006, 08:43 PM
Metal snares will be louder than wood snares.

If you're looking for quiet, try a thin shelled birch snare. My 14x6.5 Pearl SBX is very quiet as far as snares go.

ME+DRUMS
02-13-2006, 08:49 PM
in your opinion.....which would be louder....a 5.5 x 14 Tama Artwood Maple....or....a 3.5 x13 steel piccolo......???

ME+DRUMS
02-13-2006, 09:44 PM
bump?

spikeman23
02-13-2006, 11:14 PM
Both snares are going to be relatively loud, the maple will be more full bodied with a wider tuning range, while the steel piccolo will be higher pitched and the tuning range won't be as wide as it would be with the artwood.Plus piccolos for the most part are unforgiving as far as volume goes, meaning that a piccolo steel, maple, brass etc, is gonna be in your face.But like i said before the artwood will be more full bodied and have a pretty broad tuning range.Are you set on a shallow depth? If your not you might want to look into a 6x14 or a 6.5x14. reason being that with those depths you have a wider tuning range and would still be loud enough or not when you want it to be.

interceptor
02-14-2006, 02:02 AM
you could go for much denser woods too like jarrah or purpleheart which i think offer the best of both worlds without feeling like the brightness of a metal snare is drilling directly into your eardrums. But obviously they are more expensive.

sizes are also just as important

TempesT68
02-14-2006, 04:26 AM
brass is metal so i don't see what the question is, a thicker shell, no matter what it's made from will be louder then a thin one. Go and try some snare out in person and pick the one that fits best for you, that is the only way to get the right one

ME+DRUMS
02-14-2006, 09:38 AM
I just bought this on ebay last night for $90. It is a Tama steel 4 x 13.....it a 2003 model but is still new. This should do the trick :D.......comments?

Groeger
02-14-2006, 09:51 AM
Even the biggest snare in the world can be quiet when played well. Having said that, it's true that some snares lend themselves to quiet playing better.

Do you want a snare that speaks clearly when played softly, or speaks softly when hit with a fair amount of force?

If you're looking for a drum that's not going to bark too loud when you hit it with medium force, I think your new Tama will be fine. If you're looking for something to articulate clearly at low volumes, I would suggest looking into one of the various "philharmonic" or symphonic snares on the market.

erwinner
02-14-2006, 09:52 AM
I don't think you'll find a snare much louder than a steel Tama 4x13... if you wanted a "quieter" drum you shouldn't have gotten a metal shell...

ME+DRUMS
02-14-2006, 10:50 AM
I don't think you'll find a snare much louder than a steel Tama 4x13... if you wanted a "quieter" drum you shouldn't have gotten a metal shell...

dude...that goes against everything anyone has told me!!!....they said piccolos are quieter...AND i already own a steel piccolo!..not very nice one but it is slightly quieter than the artwood.....ALSO nothing will be louder??? What about a 8 x14 steel drum?? huh??? im sorry but i dont think you know what you are talking about :(

TempesT68
02-14-2006, 02:27 PM
steel sounds like junk, i think you made a bad choice.

ME+DRUMS
02-14-2006, 04:24 PM
that would be the thing to tell me BEFORE now

ME+DRUMS
02-14-2006, 04:49 PM
anyone else have comments?

erwinner
02-14-2006, 06:49 PM
I'm not saying that that snare can't be played quietly, but a very shallow, metal shell can be VERY loud. A thicker metal like bell brass is even louder! I have an 8x14 maple shelled rogers, and it's one of the quietest drums I have. My little 4x13 slingerland is LOUD when cranked up. My Gretsch wood snare with die cast rings is a lot more under control dynamically. My 5x14 and 6.5x14 aluminum shelled drums are really loud when they're cranked, as is my 6.5x14 brass drum. A really thick wood shelled drum will be louder than a thinner shelled. Like an OCDP 20 ply with vents. Loud like metal shells.

ME+DRUMS
02-14-2006, 09:09 PM
cool...thx for the info....but we are talking loud as in projection....i can see how a piccolo could be louder from the driver's seat, because of its tonal qualities....but i am under the impression that piccolos are quieter as far as projection goes....but thx :)

BTW...do YOU think steel sounds like junk?

spikeman23
02-14-2006, 09:52 PM
Steel does not sound like junk. It all depends on the grade of steel.As far as the volume of a piccolo goes it comes down to size and matarial, Your steel will crack pretty good and have a little body since it's 14x3. Also like it was said before any snare can be quiet if you don't really lay into it. And usually piccolo's are just as loud as any 5x14 and 6x14, I think what you're reffering to is the attack,And in that case they do have a shorter attack because of the shallow depth but volume definitely won't be a problem when you need it.