PDA

View Full Version : Snare to match...

millsybaby
02-11-2006, 09:33 AM
Right my BRX will be here in July, already been waiting 3 months for it haha but it'll be worth it!

So i'm looking at a nice new snare i can get to match the sucker - or just a new snare to arrive with my new kit or around the same time!

Heres the BRX spec -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v677/millsybaby/Layout14-10-2005.jpg

24"x18"
22"x18"
12"x10", 13"x11", 14"x12"
16"x16", 18"x16"

So a very heavy and metal setup muahaha!

I already own a Tico Torres and Ian Paice snare, and would prefer something non-Pearl as i fancy a change.
Any and all suggestions welcome.

Suggestions on a side snare would be nice aswell as i'll be changing that soon aswell. Just as long as it has the nuts to match up to the rest of the kit - nothig to girly! :D

jsegovia
02-11-2006, 02:31 PM
I already own a Tico Torres and Ian Paice snare, and would prefer something non-Pearl as i fancy a change.
Are the Torres and the Paice snares very different? How would you describe them?

I was going to recommend a Pearl Steve Ferrone, my all-time fave snare, but since you wanted something non-Pearl, how about a DW Edge?

Jesse

russb66
02-11-2006, 02:50 PM
DW solid shell[Craviotto] for a loud, resonant, and warm snare.

millsybaby
02-12-2006, 11:06 AM
Are the Torres and the Paice snares very different? How would you describe them?

I was going to recommend a Pearl Steve Ferrone, my all-time fave snare, but since you wanted something non-Pearl, how about a DW Edge?

Jesse

Yeah they are very different overall. They have the similarity that all metal shelled snares have that you get high end ring on the shell, but out front they sound like a meaty crack.
The Tico has alot more body to it, thicker fatter tone and cuts through anything - probably the loudest snare in existence. Alot of resonance and body, supported by the crack of the metal - ideal for any rock situation. Sounds amazing with a boxy head on, like an Emp X or Powerhouse, sothing that kills the excess ring and brings out the low end so you get a really classic thud. Great stuff.
The Ian Paice is basically the classic steel snare sound, sharp crack, can be tuned low or high and still sound fantastic, cuts through anyting with snappy punch. I use this mainly with my punk band as its much "faster" so suits the pace alot more than a thundering thick sound i get from the tico, which i use with the metal bands.

I've been looking at an Edge snare for a while now, ever since i tried one i "had to own one" but i've been looking at something wooden. before the Vinnie Paul was released, i was looking for a snare near as ****** identical to that - but again, i dont wanna buy another Pearl snare unless its must do haha! I've thought about the custom road, but i want to know more avbout shells and wood types etc before i go custiom - i will do it, but just in a few years. I've spoken to alot of builders about various ideas for the shell, type and thickness etc and come out with some really cool proposals - none of which would be cheap though haha!