PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Ludwig help

DCdrmwthme
02-08-2006, 10:16 PM
Hello!

I was giving a lesson to a new student today, and he had an older Ludwig snare, black paint on the edges and grey in the middle. Definitely the original paint job. It was wood, with reinforcment rings on the inside. It sounded great, but I didnt want to make a big deal out of it in front of my student. I took the number off the badge, ( I later found out that the badge style is called "keystone" if this helps.) can anyone tell me more about it, just by the serial number, and the badge style? Anything???
Heres the number off the badge- 660452

Ive been unsuccessful in finding a picture on the internet of a similiar drum, but ill keep looking in the meantime.

thanks!

David Capuzelo

jano
02-09-2006, 06:52 AM
The date guide at the Ludwig Drummer (http://www.ludwigdrummer.com/) site places the date of manufacture most likely in 1968. That site has Ludwig catalogues you can use to find more info on the drum.

Lots of info, including pictures, that can also help identify it can be found at Vintage Drum Guide (http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/).

DeadSkinMask
02-09-2006, 06:53 AM
can you post a picture of it?

weps
02-09-2006, 08:56 AM
The finish is called Duco for dual color, two opaque colors fading into each other. That was considered a less expensive finish compared to the wrapped acetate versions.

weps

erwinner
02-10-2006, 09:46 AM
Yeah, that sounds like a lower end late 60s ludwig. They went from the keystone to the parallelogram badge in '69/'70. You can't date Ludwigs (or most old American drums) by their serials worth crap. They just slapped badges on indiscriminately. How many lugs does it have? If it's 6 (my guess) it's a Pioneer model in duco. If it has 8 lugs it would be a Jazz Festival, but those usually didn't get a duco finish. The same drums still have the same 3 ply mahogany/poplar/mahogany shells so the sound differences are actually minimal.

erwinner
02-10-2006, 10:54 AM
Also, if you take the head off and look inside the drum if it has white paint there should be a date stamp somewhere. Mine have them, but the last 2 numbers in the year have been rubbed off. I know my 8x12 tom was made Oct. 2, 19XX... lotta help there...

jsegovia
02-11-2006, 02:35 PM
I didnt want to make a big deal out of it in front of my student.
Why not? Why not just ask him what it is?

Jesse