PDA

View Full Version : has anyone tried a jimmy chamberlin snare?

irondrummer
02-06-2006, 04:57 PM
Has anyone tried a jimmy chamberlin snare, and if so what did you think of it? I've been wanting to try one out.

Benji
02-06-2006, 06:48 PM
I didn't even know he had one. Who makes it, and what are the specifications?

TheVoltanDrummer
02-06-2006, 09:08 PM
yamaha makes it and its 5.5 x 14 steel shell. i like the nice low mass lugs on it. i've never tried one out but i really want to.

gotdrums?
02-06-2006, 11:21 PM
Nothing against Jimmy or Yamaha, but releasing a 14X5.5 steel snare as a signature is a bit pointless...

entropy
02-07-2006, 09:53 AM
i went and saw the jc complex live i was about 6 ft from jimmy and he was playing his sig snare. It sounded amazing very close to a fined tuned black beauty. And for that last comment i think yamaha or jc releasing a simple steel shell as a signature drum is very good idea. I'm sure yamaha said what would you like, and jimmy said this and they made it and took the rubber gromments out and wa-lah. I'm sure pearl didnt gripe or think it was a bad idea when Ian Piace was like I just want a sensitone with tube lugs.

TheVoltanDrummer
02-08-2006, 12:34 AM
Nothing against Jimmy or Yamaha, but releasing a 14X5.5 steel snare as a signature is a bit pointless...

it's not pointless to jimmy and yamaha $$$$$ :p

and just to add to the thread a bit, the snare does have nice features: satin chrome finish and aluminum die cast hoops. i'm sure you could get these things from other companies, but i just think the JC snare looks classy.

susswald
02-08-2006, 03:55 AM
id say its nice, jimmy has used alot of steel snares throught the years with pumkins so i'm sure himself and yamaha found a good mix of sounds and ideas to make a a snare he s gonna use more permanently. anyone remeber whe n he sold most of his snare collection on eBay? I woulda loved to have bought the supraphonic that he had used on Tonight Tonight, thats a piece of music history if you ask me.

Roger~Me~RogeR
02-08-2006, 05:00 PM
anyone remeber whe n he sold most of his snare collection on eBay? I woulda loved to have bought the supraphonic that he had used on Tonight Tonight, thats a piece of music history if you ask me.

I agree! I would have loved to bid on that, he used it on lots of other songs too so its a very important snare, particularily for pumpkins fans. They wouldn't ship international though. Wonder what happened to the rest cos the auctions just stopped all of a sudden. Did you know Billy is writing songs for the album? Can't wait to see em live for the first time too.

Ignodium
02-08-2006, 11:11 PM
Those snares on eBay were incredible, I wish I could have gone for some of those. Tonight Tonight is the reason I started to play the drums, it would be nuts to own the snare. I think Jimmy mentioned that they were going into the practice or studio time in february or something.

I would like a crack at the steel snare of his too. I'm not sure if it would really be my sound, but its definitely classy looking and worth a try.