PDA

View Full Version : 15" toms?

snizare
03-20-2003, 09:46 PM
hey, i was thinking of getting a 15" tom in SRX to mount to my left like a floor tom. the other toms i will be using are 10/12/14/16 but possibly 8....

what do you guys think of the 15"?

ive heard odd sizes are tough to tune.... does this hold true with the 15"

thanks...

drummer'swife
03-21-2003, 09:13 AM
when u say mount it to your left, do u mean between the snare and hi'hats, or to the left of the hats? Also, I can't see why a 15" would be harder to tune than any other drum. The sound it will produce will be relative to the depth and diameter of the drum itself, just as the other toms, if they're tuned to the same tension. You'll have to achieve a tone that's between the 14" and 16", but that shouldn't be hard to do. Me personally, I would prefer the sharper attack of the 8" add-on as opposed to the lower end tone of the 15".

snizare
03-21-2003, 03:48 PM
yea, left of the hats. like a lefty would set up a floor tom.

plaprl2
03-21-2003, 09:46 PM
sounds cool, have fun with the set up. I have a 15" and it has never been a problem to tune. In fact, in my case anyways, my hardest drum to tune is my 14". It sometimes tries to be higher than my 13" .

Jamie
03-22-2003, 03:20 PM
when people say toms with close sizes would be hard to tune, they only mean when you have the toms in sequence-for example, if you had 12 13 14 15 16 toms across your kit in sequence, the gaps between the toms would be small and so getting a good difference and making the tom sound good would be difficult. theres no reason why any drum on it's own should be any harder to tune than another. since you say you want to mount it to the left of your hats, it should be fine, and will add a whole new dimension of fills to your kit. any chance of some photos if/when it arrives?
cheers
Jamie

snizare
03-23-2003, 03:05 PM
jamie - sure thing

everyone else - thanks for your help. i am still debating, but thats more of a cost issue - not size issue.