PDA

View Full Version : maple and Bronze in the studio

snare drum guy
03-19-2003, 05:27 AM
Yesterday I was in the studio and I used a 4"x12" steel snare a 6"x13" maple and two 6.5"x14" snares.One was maple free floating and one ludwig hand hammered bronze.
I had used the 6.5"x14" maple free floater about 15 times in the studio.This was my first time recording the 6.5"x14" bronze.I got to compare the two side by side.
The sound man/producer noticed the difference and liked the bronze very much.More than the maple.He heard the warmth that bronze has and how it had a wood tone.It wasn't brittle at all and I would have never known it was metal if I hadn't been the one that changed the drums myself.
So to sum it up bronze is a metal that is very warm and woody sounding with the sensitivity,clarity and articulation of metal.Unlike other metals it really is the closest sounding to wood.So anyone who wants to know how bronze compares to maple and other metals take it from me it really is a good choice of shell material for recording and live.

Jamie
03-19-2003, 03:45 PM
what are your thoughts on the maple or brass freefloaters for studio and live in a post-hc/metal/progressive band? i need something cutting, but with a nice pop tone as well if possible. any recommendations
cheers
Jamie

Blank
03-19-2003, 04:03 PM
Dude..I have an Ultracast...I swear that THAT is the closest thing to wood. Couldn't change my mind.

Aluminum...I say THAT'S closest.

snare drum guy
03-19-2003, 04:08 PM
What are you using now?