PDA

View Full Version : What is better, steel or Mahoggany snares

beaterboy03
03-18-2003, 05:38 PM
Which is better metal or mohaggany snare Drums? I want to know if mine is top of the line or atleast close. (I have a Pearl Export) :confused:

SommerUmarmung
03-18-2003, 07:12 PM
Export is mid-range. Some top-artists use them for touring.

SLIPKNOT1
03-18-2003, 08:18 PM
Its all about what sounds best to you, they are two very different sounds. What matters is how it sounds, forget about which one is considered "Top of the line" if it sounds good to you, there is nothing more to know.

SommerUmarmung
03-18-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by SLIPKNOT1
Its all about what sounds best to you, they are two very different sounds. What matters is how it sounds, forget about which one is considered "Top of the line" if it sounds good to you, there is nothing more to know.

True. Mahogany is much lower-ptiched, and good for higher tuning, if you want a tighter sound, whithout having a higher pitch.

snare drum guy
03-19-2003, 04:43 AM
I like steel the best but that doesn't mean its the best.It's just the best for me.I have steel,maple, hand hammered bronze,poplar and mahogony.I use them all for different situations.They each have their own voice and personality.There is no best just opinions.Make your own best thats right for you.

Fredzs
03-19-2003, 06:15 AM
i want steel better, because i want that nice crack . . my 5x14 steel has VERY little ring, and the rest is pure crack! :D

Full Collapse
03-20-2003, 02:38 PM
I rented a Pacific steel piccolo drum and I don't really like it much...but its what I have until my other snare comes back from repairing.

I don't like either. I like maple for snare drums and birch for the rest. But whatever floats your boat.

steelerkiss
02-03-2004, 05:33 PM
I agree, dont worry about what level your drum is, but what it is to your ear. I like all snares, they fit in different ways. And different music. Rock drummers, jazz, country and symphony all use different drums and snares. There is no specific for a certain application. Just specific to your ear. And I dont believe that there is a higher end drum just because it costs more. Most eventually come down in price or worth nowadays anyway. I love a Sensitone 14x6.5 brass right now. My ear thinks its the best or high end snare right now. And it is not the most in what others might consider high end, but it is to me. Will that change later? Maybe so, but so do my ears. Dont worry what is up to par with others or your mindset. Let your ears tell your mind. You might find yourself savin some money to, who knows?

vanillaCOKE2k2
02-03-2004, 08:40 PM
mahogany can crack as proven with the hakim snare but so can steel, but mohagony will have more warmth to it.

depends on what sound u want. whether it is mellow or otherwise.

vari-pitch
02-06-2004, 11:40 AM
As long as your snare is tuned properly, it won't make a huge difference as to what material or $ value it is. Make sure it sounds good when you play it. THAT's the most important thing of all. The reason being, that when you like the sound of what your playing, then you'll play better.

Have fun

b1ink8this2
02-06-2004, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by SLIPKNOT1

very well put ... thats what i would've said ....