PDA

View Full Version : Which snare?

Dr. Baz
03-17-2003, 08:02 AM
I'm looking to get myself a new snare in the not too distant future.

The snares I'm considering are:- Ian Paice signature, Chad Smith signature, Steve Ferrone signature or an Ultracast (5" or 6.5").

Any comments anybody has on these to help me make my decision would be much appreciated.

Cheers

bwhite
03-17-2003, 10:15 AM
DR. Baz

I just purchased the Chad Smith snare. I like the snare but I can not seem to get rid of the echo ring no matter how I tune it. If I was drumming Hard rock I may like it but I am doing country ( Music is music) right now. I trully need a warmer drum and I have information to go to a 14 X 6.5 for that warm sound.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks

Full Collapse
03-17-2003, 09:16 PM
If you need to get rid of extra ring or anything use Moongel...its the greatest thing ever.

Rafiki8821
03-18-2003, 03:06 PM
I'd recommend the 6.5x14 ultra cast. I tryed one at the store and it sounded really good

SLIPKNOT1
03-18-2003, 03:18 PM
Ditto on the MoonGel, it works wonders. Have you tried all the snares you are considering? any place near you that has a wide variety to try out?

Raymond Massey
03-18-2003, 03:26 PM
Hi Dr. Baz,

These are all good choices the Ian is the classic steel sound with the internal muffler - the Chad although steel had a lot of attack - the Steve is rich and warm compared to the other previously mentioned. The Ultracast has great projection and produces great full-bodied ghost notes.

What style of music do you play and what is the desired application?

All these drums will work in just about any musical setting.

My personal favorite is the Ultracast

Dr. Baz
03-19-2003, 06:15 AM
Unfortunately the closest place where I could try out these snares is a good couple of hours drive away. When I have the opportunity I will travel there and try them for myself.

The style of music I play varies, I guess I would say I'm a rock drummer but I also play different styles like funk, pop and acoustic.

I currently have the ELX 14" x 5" snare I got with the kit and for certain applications I really like the way it sounds but having played on deeper 6.5" snares, I'm finding I prefer the way the deeper snares sound.

So I think the ideal snare I'm looking for will be 14" x 6.5" and have plenty of attack but be warm at the same time.

Raymond Massey
03-19-2003, 11:21 AM
Check out the Steve Ferrone snare SF-1465 it's brass shell is really warm and it has a great tuning range. The MSRP US is 579.00

kimboy
03-20-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Baz
I'm looking to get myself a new snare in the not too distant future.

The snares I'm considering are:- Ian Paice signature, Chad Smith signature, Steve Ferrone signature or an Ultracast (5" or 6.5").

Any comments anybody has on these to help me make my decision would be much appreciated.

Cheers

i pick "ferrone/ the ultracast snare"

DRUMBOO
03-20-2003, 11:18 AM
Make sure to check out the TICO TORRES SIGNATURE SNARE DRUM (TR-1465) Great drum ... Aluminum Free floater in 14 x 6,5 Die cast hoops ... satin chrome hdwr

I owned a Chad smith snare a few years ago and i didnīt like it so i sold it ...

bwhite
03-20-2003, 11:22 AM
OK, What is this and where do I get it? I also understand that I can buffer the head with some type of pad that is made for this. I have been away from drumming for a while and all the new stuff on the market these days is a little overwhelming.

I appreciate all the avdice and the ideas, keep them comming.

Can anyone comment on the Steve ferrone Snare. Seems pricy but if it works I will buy it. Sometimes you gota go there right.

Thanks all

Andy @ MIT
03-20-2003, 01:19 PM
The 6.5 Ultracast or the Ferrone... definitely two of the best drums on the market

Dr. Baz
04-09-2003, 03:05 PM
I just bought myself the Steve Ferrone signature and I'm really pleased with it.

It's got amazing attack, so much in fact I'm scared to hit it too hard incase it takes my head off. It's also really rich and warm sounding, full bodied and throaty. Suits my situation perfectly.

So cheers to you guys who helped me make my decision.

zilflight
04-09-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by bwhite
DR. Baz

I trully need a warmer drum and I have information to go to a 14 X 6.5 for that warm sound.

a deeper snare doesnt make for a warmer snare. it just makes for a deeper snare. if you want a warm snare go for a wooden one. Wood is warm, metal is not.

tkrantilles
04-10-2003, 01:52 PM
Sort of off topic, but I find that I'm getting really good results with my Export six-ply 14"x5.5" poplar snare. I have a one-ply coated head on the batter side and I keep the snare a bit loose - very 70s feel to it, with plenty of warmth and snarey sound.
Hey, if somebody would give me money for more expensive stuff, you all could stop having to listen to me talk about how much I like my cheap stuff...just a thought. I really do like my snare though.