PDA

View Full Version : snare drum make-over

zilflight
03-16-2003, 03:53 PM
sorry for the subject, I admit its kinda retarded, but did it get your attention? anyways, I thought Id post about somethin I did to an old snare of mine this weekend. it was just a steel snare that would come with a beginner type drumset. anyways, I thought the drum sounded pretty ok, but I think the drum just looks totally boring, and I wanted to do somethin original to the drum visually. I was plannin on taking off all the hardware from the drum and wrapping a layer of carpet around the shell, but when I tried that, it turned out that the carpet was too think to work with easily. so I was sitting there thinkin, and it came to me... I went and got an old pair of jeans, and cut off the back of one leg of the jeans, and then wrapped the jeans around, put the hardware back on, and cut the jeans short enough so that it wouldnt get in the way of tuning the drum. Im not sure when I can get pictures to post this bad boy up, but I might be able to get some by tuesday afternoon. the drum looks really good by the way, and it only took me 2 hours or less.

dutchdrummer
03-19-2003, 03:17 AM
Hey zilflight,

I once did a wrap over on an entire drumset. Not with jeans, but with sticker plastic foil type kind of stuff....

Changed my old Pearl drumset from orange/gold to white. Looked like an entire new set. All it takes is some time to remove and replace all the hardware.

Greetings.

zilflight
03-19-2003, 07:41 AM
yeh I think I remember seein pics, was it the bovine set? did you use any adhesive when you did yours? if Im thinkin of the right kit, I remember thinkin it look really good, well once I stopped laughin at the cows. so how long did it take you to do your whole set?

dutchdrummer
03-19-2003, 07:56 AM
The pictures you saw weren't from my set, cause I've never put them on the forum. Might do that though. I'll scan some pictures tonight and send them tomorrow.

I did it with big self adhesive sticker type sheets, in the colour white, without any cow prints. I can't remember how long it took me, cause it's been some 15 years ago since I've done that.

What I do remember is that it looked quite good. I took special care in pressing all the air out while covering, so I didn't get any air bubbles under the foil/cover/whatever you call the stuff.

Greetings.

zilflight
03-19-2003, 08:07 AM
self adhesive sheets?? seems like Ive heard of drumlines using that type stuff to refinish their drums for a season maybe...

dutchdrummer
03-20-2003, 02:40 AM
Hey zilflight,

check this thread for my old set:

http://66.40.220.17/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11390

and the rewrap.

Greetings