PDA

View Full Version : hi hat pole sizes?

Don Hoagie
03-15-2003, 06:53 PM
I'm an open-handed player, so the position of hi-hats can be much lower than players who cross over... my hats are only about 2 inches higher than my snare drum. However, the pole that allows you to mount the hats higher or lower is sized with the cross-over player in mind, leaving my hi-hat stand with over a foot of useless pole getting in the way of my other cymbals... does anyone know of a shorter hi-hat pole? Or should I just saw off the top of this one

Drummer519
03-16-2003, 05:46 AM
First of all, what kind of hi hat stand are you using? Second of all, how high up, in relationship to the top of your snaredrum, do you want your hats to be? I would not suggest going any lower than your snare because it will be tough to reach on fills.

Don Hoagie
03-16-2003, 09:24 AM
the stand i use came with my '96 export series... i don't know the model name but i'm sure it's not much better than the entry level stand. I'm not sure if you get me- where i have the hats now is fine with me- i just want to get rid of the extra height of the pole because it gets in the way of my ride, and other cymbals (remember i play open-handed, so I mount my ride behind, and between, my snare and hats).

Don Hoagie
03-16-2003, 09:25 AM
sorry, i know this would be a lot easier if i had pictures, but alas, i am sans digital camera right now

Drummer519
03-16-2003, 11:40 AM
It sounds like cutting the tubing would be fine, just make sure that you do it carefully so as not to bend anything and you might want to carefully file off the edges. They're bound to be sharp.

Good luck,
Drummer519

doc_on_drums
03-17-2003, 06:33 AM
If I were is your situation I would check with my local drum shop and see if I could purchase a shorter post if they are available (I think they all are pretty much the same), otherwise a hacksaw is about your best option. I have seen guys who have cut the post off before and have considered it myself, I mount my splash directly over my hats and would like it slightly lower than the HH post allows. The difference I need is only about 1 1/2" so I have just made myself get used to it.

Don Hoagie
03-17-2003, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the advice guys... I was hoping it wouldn't have to come to a hackjob, but none of the stores around here have shown me a shorter pole... here's the basic setup of my kit just to make the dilemma easier to understand

brizak79
03-17-2003, 08:48 AM
I'm sure you're talking about the pull rod, NOT the tubing. I just recently chopped about 6 inches off of mine, too. Just take a hacksaw to it (but make sure to leave about an inch above the top of your clutch), then use either a bench grinder or a file to smooth out the sharp edges.

Raymond Massey
03-17-2003, 09:27 AM
Hi Don Hoagie,

The HH stand you have is the H-800, unfortunately we don't currently offer a really short pull rod - however, the pull rod for your high hat is still available and the Part number is ME-145 list price is $5.00 US

So if you desire to cut it a hack saw works fine and if needed a tubing cutter will cut the upper tube real clean and even.

Also we now have the RH-2000 cable hat that is perfect for your set up - you can get it in low supper easy and not have to deal with any cutting or placement issues. It feels really good too -unlike the old school cable hats of the past. It feels virtually identical to a regular hat.

Don Hoagie
03-17-2003, 09:43 AM
Excellent! Thanks for your help