PDA

View Full Version : ISS and C-800W

J_Myers
03-13-2003, 10:29 AM
ok, First off,, could someone explain the ISS drum mounts to me? Im worried that my drums will bounce, or that I wont have the mobility to put the drums exactly where I want being that you cant (or it looks like you cant) move the drum up the arm.

Next, I want a 16x14 hanging tom for my elx fusion set but Im trying not to spend the whole $239 for the expansion pack. So with that in mind will the C-800W cymbal stand that holds the 14x12 tom be beefy enough for me to slap a AX-38 (3 whole adapter) onto and hold up both toms. Of course I dont want my toms falling over or breaking the mounting equipment. So I think the best guys to ask about this are the Pearl personell. What do you all think.

DED
03-13-2003, 11:47 AM
Like most (all?) suspension type tom mounts, you do not have as much flexibility adjusting the drum up and down the arm.
Most drummers do not want anything protruding inside the shell and that put some limits on that particular adjustment since at some point the arm will come in contact with the shell.

I hang my tom(s) from cymbal stands and I also like my drums as close as possible to the stand since it helps the stability, so I use a pipe cutter to 'custom-fit' the length of the arms on my tom holders. (I use a very small set up so I do not need a ton of flexibility.)

As far as the bouncing with ISS, I've been using them for years on everything from an 8x8 to a 14x16 and have had no problems. Granted, if you're mounting a large drum and/or are a hard hitter the drum may move a bit more with a suspension mount but that's the nature of the beast.

I don't think you'd have any problem with the C-800W holding the toms as long as you can position one of the legs under the two toms (does that make sense?).

J_Myers
03-13-2003, 01:08 PM
Yep , thats perfectly clear. I didnt think about cutting the arms though ,, good idea... Thanks for the feedback.

NewPearlMan1
03-13-2003, 03:24 PM
I had the same concerns as you when I bought my kit about the ISS and the mobility problem. But in reality they are very adjustable and I have had no problems putting the drums where I want them. You can put them together as close to each other as you want or as far away from each other as you want by rotating the TH-88 tom mount arms so that the drums come closer or farther apart, then rotate the drum on the TH-88 to change the drum angle. And tilt the TH-88 to the right angle. Very nice. Also, the TH-88 comes in different lengths depending on what you want them to do.

Look at my drums closely and you will see I have mounted my drums exactly as you are asking about. In the pictures, My 8 and 10 are on a C-855W boom stand and my 12 and 13 are on a C-800W boom/straight stand both with AX-38's. You can see the different length TH-88's holding the toms. I have since moved the long TH-88's over to the 8 and 10 mounted on a T-800W, and moved the short TH-88's over to the 12 and 13 mounted on a B-855W because I wanted to get the 8 and 10 a little higher, and to free up the C-800W for my Granite Blocks.

The 13 does shake a bit on the mount when you hit it because of it's mass, but it's not a big deal and doesn't affect play. Arranging the tripod legs so that one leg is under and between the toms eliminates the tipping hazard.

The sound difference in not having the 5 extra holes in your toms is incredible too.