PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with my Iron Cobra.

guitarra
03-12-2003, 07:45 PM
Hey guys. I just got an Iron Cobra, and I seem to have run into a little problem.

I put it together and went to put it on my bass drum. Once I got it on, I noticed that the main pedal wasn't touching the floor. So I tried adjustments on the pedal, nothing. I adjusted the height on my bass drum, nothing. :( :mad:

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Am I doing something wrong? Also, when I put it together, I had the beaters equally set. Then, all of a sudden, I noticed that the slave beater was further back than the main beater.:(:mad:

I need any help you guys can give.

Thanks!

DeadJotun
03-12-2003, 08:09 PM
my friend has told me this but i do not know if its correct. Iron cobra pedals were made to fit tama drum hoops which are different than other drum company's hoops. i do not know how to fix this problem....sorry im sure someone on the forum knows how to fix it. or go to your local music store and ask for help. or even email or call up tama

SLIPKNOT1
03-12-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by DeadJotun
my friend has told me this but i do not know if its correct. Iron cobra pedals were made to fit tama drum hoops which are different than other drum company's hoops.

Thats DEFINATLEY incorrect. My IC's are on OCDP hoops and i know people who use them on Pearl, Yamaha, Mapex etc drums with no problem.

Hoop clamps are standard, any pedal will fit any brand of drum hoop and vice versa.

rsdrumz
03-12-2003, 09:03 PM
Yeah, I have no idea how that could happen. I've had my ICs on Yamahas, Tamas, and a few others and its always worked. But, like Slip said, this is still irrelevent- any pedal should work on any bass drum. What do you mean the main pedal is off the floor? The only thing touching the floor should be the BD spurs and your pedal. I have no idea how the main pedal could be off the ground.

So basically, I'm pretty sure you're doing something wrong. If you could post some pics, that would really help. Otherwise, maybe someone else can help you out.

mR.dnA
03-13-2003, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by SLIPKNOT1

Thats DEFINATLEY incorrect. My IC's are on OCDP hoops and i know people who use them on Pearl, Yamaha, Mapex etc drums with no problem.

Hoop clamps are standard, any pedal will fit any brand of drum hoop and vice versa.

Totally - I actually installed my new ICs on my Rhythm Traveler (just to see if they fit - I still have to learn how to play them!) this evening :eek:

Of course they also fit fine on my Rogers kit...

guitarra:Any chance you can take some pics and post them?

guitarra
03-13-2003, 03:16 AM
Thanks guys. Hey Slip, I tried what you said, but it didn't work. I MUST be doing something wrong, but what? I'm not doing anything different. :(

Well, I'll try again. I know it's something really stupid that I'm overlooking.

Dragan00
03-13-2003, 07:55 AM
I don't know if this will work for sure but it's worth a shot. As far as your slave beater goes it's probably just not tight enough. so take the wrench tool on the pedal and tighten that up it should work, if it doesn't then just go nuts and tighten everything else around it. And for it not touching the ground try to ether move it forward or back it up a bit and then re-tighten it to the hoop. If it help cool, but sorry if it doesn't.

aenemic
03-13-2003, 08:05 AM
I have to move my IC around a bit to find the perfect spot for it so that the whole pedal touches the floor. I can't place it too far in on the hoop and I often have to move it a little to the left. I have a Tama kit btw ;)

mR.dnA
03-13-2003, 09:08 AM
Hey I was thinking about this a little more - how is your bass drum positioned - is the FRONT hoop touching the floor? It shouldn't be - if it is it might cause the rear one to make the IC pedal 'come up' off the floor a bit when it's all mounted up.

I know you said you messed with the BD height - maybe go back and start from scratch?

TonyTheDude
03-13-2003, 09:55 AM
with my IC double, the heel of the pedal was rising as i was tightening the clamp to the hoop, this was because the clamp needs to be at the bottom most part of the hoop. this does mean that the slave beater is not as close to the centre of the head.

i dont even clamp my pedal anymore, i prefer to postion it loose so i can have both beaters more or less in the middle of the head

mR.dnA
03-13-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by TonyTheDude
the clamp needs to be at the bottom most part of the hoop. this does mean that the slave beater is not as close to the centre of the head.

This is exactly correct as well. I'd check that, too.

DeadJotun
03-13-2003, 01:14 PM
my bad my bad! thats what my friend told me ach o well...

guitarra
03-13-2003, 03:21 PM
I've tried positioning the pedal, no luck. My Bass drum is NOT touching the floor. I have adjusted that as well. Still get a gap. At one point I just left the thing free standing in front of my drum. Then I tried positioning it so that the beaters are centered, and with the beaters NOT centered. Still get a gap.

I'm ready to give up! :mad:

(But I'm not gonna! ) ;)

P.S-

I'm also thinking that the carpet that my set is on is too thick, or the floor is not exactly level (my sets in the basement)

mR.dnA
03-13-2003, 03:23 PM
Maybe you could bring the pedal down to a music store and try mounting it to a drum there?

That way you should be able to tell at least whether the pedal itself is the problem or not...

guitarra
03-13-2003, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the help guys! It's all good! :D

drum_man_67
03-14-2003, 11:19 AM
that happened 2 me b4 and it was the spikes that go into the floor were too far out making the pedal kinda float i just loosend them and the pedal levelled out and has been fines since then, dunno if this is any help?