PDA

View Full Version : Tuning

kev
10-22-2005, 07:14 AM
You may wonder why I created this thread? In the interest of accessibility, I'm just going to provide a link to sources for tuning, as some haven't been able to find it.

Here (http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?t=107772)

nils
11-04-2005, 04:35 AM
You want to attend a tuning clinic? You want get into tuning deeply? You are from Germany? PM me.

nils

kev
11-04-2005, 04:26 PM
You want to attend a tuning clinic? You want get into tuning deeply? You are from Germany? PM me.

nils
I wish I was in germany! :p

nils
11-05-2005, 05:46 AM
I wish I was in germany! :p

Scatland is not that far away from here. Just take the ferry to Bremerhaven and come over here. ;)
If the clinics really start off well here, then I might go to Britain some day.

Frederik W
11-05-2005, 03:30 PM
Please come to Denmark! And bring your kit with you :D

StrayedFromThePath
11-05-2005, 04:21 PM
Then come to Aus. Your Kit, would have to be one of my top 3 on the forum :D

nils
11-05-2005, 05:00 PM
Thank you mates.

I'm really putting some effort in this tuning clinic thing, because the economy in Germany is not very prospering nowadays and I want to have an opportunity if I'd loose my job someday. Until then, I'll do the clinics as second job besides my first as system administrator.

I'm 36 now and have put much attention on how my drums should sound and how I can achieve this goal over the last 20+ years. My taste has changed, but it has always been important to me. After reading Prof.Sounds Drum Tuning Bible, many things I knew by experience became much clearer.
Then I added some theory about waves, oszillations and signal processing I learned during my time as student of electric engineering.
That's what I teach: a good theoretical fundament and then I show what it means. Afterwards the participants have the guided chance to experience tuning themselves.

Nils

nils
11-07-2005, 08:33 AM
Hi mates,

there's something you might want to check out. It's a Java applet simulating an oscillating circular membrane in 3D and with sound. I found this while researching for the abstract of my tuning clinic. i was "Ohhh..." and "Ahhh..." when I first tried it.

Go here: http://www.falstad.com/circosc/directions.html and click on "Click here to get the applet" - wait a few seconds and then have fun with it.

There is also a downlodable version of this and other applets.

Misterblues
12-03-2005, 10:55 AM
This is no wonder. You can't tune drums.

Steve

Sorry, not with changing the heads I mean. You 'tune' them when making the shells. Just to make that clear. Once this volume is defined (the inner volume of the shell) which at the end firstly remains defined thru a bottom head, the tune is in the drum (tom tom). The drum got a tone, and that is what you tune up on other, but music instruments.

And please not now with the big hole in bassdrum reso heads. This is what is wrong here. This one rhythm missing ruins all that you would be playing and not one was left.

Important is that the volume material, that is the volume of the drum if you want, is the right amount according to the volume which is defined. If you have much more than the tone gets it might be tone and sound are hard to distinguish. To little would hardly work? I never had this at least. This is the impression I have when I listen to what I play and is confirmed by considerations I did. It's matching up.

Thank you;

Steve

nils
01-10-2006, 09:53 AM
Hi,

if you are interested, CLICK HERE (http://www.drummerforum.de/forum/thread.php?threadid=16747&sid=12c92174bb0bb64002b1a3e65ec9b0d3)

Nils

nils
01-11-2006, 05:24 AM
Yes,
a special post for those who play small gigs where you need to use rods to be silent enough.

Some of you might have such a superb technique, that you can play everything with stix, regardless of the loudness that is bearable in that situation. But for those of us, who suck at playing silently (like me :( ), rods are good.

Now this is what I did with every tom:
- mounted single ply coated batter head
- tuned reso close to the sweet spot of the drum (fundamental note)
- went through the zones in small increments with the batter, frequently hitting it with a rod
- stopped at the point where the tone was best and most resonant

To my surprise this point is when the batter is slightly higher than the reso.

This is what I did with the snare:
- tuned reso close to lowest possible note
- mounted batter and tuned it low
- then went up with the batter tension and after every increment hit the drum with a rod
- stopped tightening batter when the sound became choked and loosened the batter a bit to gain back sensivity
- tightened reso up to the point I got a satisfying tone
- went through the zones by adjusting strainer after every incrementation of reso tension to find best tension

Well, the result is a rather sensitive drum, playable with rods. The sound is OK, but a bit too washy IMO if you compare it with my ususal snaresound. But at least it has a nice ring and some tone when played with rods.

I don't know if this can be done with better results. I'll give it another shot with different heads.

Nils

kev
01-11-2006, 07:08 AM
Thanks nils, great post!

nils
04-06-2006, 02:52 AM
If you want to know something about this issue, go HERE (http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?p=1851131820)

Nils

twjohn16
04-06-2006, 06:26 AM
hey nils, man your sound sample of just the drums is awesome. is that the kit your using now and if so what kind of heads you using because that is pretty much the sound I'm wanting to achieve. thanks, and very nice setup and groove.

nils
04-06-2006, 07:05 AM
Thank you!

I wrote everything about that recording in this thread:
My BRX/BLX-Sound (http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?t=90588)

The head combos are explained HERE (http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?p=1850963961&#post1850963961)

nils

twjohn16
04-06-2006, 07:20 AM
thanks a lot man, I've been planning on a new kit for some time and ran into some financial difficulties but I am working on getting my own business up and going so hopefully it wont be long until I have a new set. I'm looking at the new bsx in red glass so it should basically be sounding like yours with the head combo. Thanks again. Travis.

hallbassman
09-08-2006, 02:44 AM
have you ever used a drumdial? If so what do you think of this tool ? thanks

stephansv2002
09-08-2006, 02:47 AM
Drum dial rocks. Kev is my bestest friend. He helped my "lounge". Get the DD man. I have it. Its awesome.

Danuk
09-12-2006, 06:00 PM
Heres a video on tuning that some people may find helpful. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhf64s87GWc&mode=related&search=

Lynn
09-28-2006, 03:55 PM
Thanks for posting but that was awful. It's like drum tuning for people that know how to tune already. Ya think he could go any faster.

Xplora
11-23-2006, 02:21 AM
Great video - I don't think he was aiming for an indepth exposition on tuning.... the way Weckl describes it suits the way I want to tune... as low as possible.

KaaGeej
12-28-2007, 06:18 PM
Here a topic I started, hopefully it will turn out to be interessting:

Drum Tuning - Notes, Pitches, Intervals (http://pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?t=195170)

Rock-On!!
11-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Great post...

nickd
08-28-2010, 04:45 PM
Really simple.

To me a 10" tom sounds awesome playing a "D" note. To achieve this, tune both the batter head and reso 4 semitones down from D, making it a B. When tapped quietly, you will hear a B, when the tom is played at performance level, the overall pitch will be a D.

Tune toms perfect 4ths apart, as in "Here comes the bride" the interval between here and bride is a 4th.

I try and tune my snare reso to a "G", tight enough for responce, loose enough to stop chocking. I tune the batter to "C" this alows a good crack, stick responce, harmony with the rest of the kit. Again not choking.

I tune the bass to as low as possible as to when I get a audible note, then maybe a little higher. Seeing as most people fill the kick with pillows, or because its hard to determine what fundimental note it is creating, stick with what you think is a nice "boom" then dampen to your own taste.

On all drums, tune batter and reso the same pitch. Regardless of whatever, my two cents is its mathmatically better.

2 ply heads and diecast hoops make tuning easier than playing the drums itself.

Learn music.

Nick

nils
09-07-2010, 01:24 AM
Hi,

if this is a problem for you, you might want to read this: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showpost.php?p=1853652365&postcount=113

Nils

Ron "The Sledge"
10-23-2010, 01:18 PM
I am re-posting what I posted on another thread regarding intervals but first I want to inject my thought about finding the fundamental note of a drum.
I read on one of the threads linked to this one that you must remove all of the hardware to find the fundamental note. I don't disagree if you're talking about the absolute fundamental note. But, not unlike through the shell tom mounts once you replace the hardware the acoustics of the drum are going to change. Therefore, I contend that you remove the heads only, leave the hardware on the drum and suspend the shell and tap the side and listen (through the hardware rattling) to find the note that way because that's the note you're going to tune to, not the one with the hardware removed.
That said, here's my commentary on intervals. Keep in mind I'm talking about the toms being tuned correctly with uniform tension around the drum (next to each tension rod):

About 10 or so years ago I was tuning my six piece Export kit (1990 version, w/ 4 toms). After I was satisfied with the intervals I was goofing around on the toms and by accident played the first phrase of the "Call to Post". You know, like the bugle you hear prior to a horse race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kude_xyMfOc

Not long after that I was at a Thoroughbred Music Drum Expo in Tampa and one of the performers that year was Tito Puente. Prior to his segment Tito himself appeared onstage to tune his timbales. Once he had them tuned he paused a second and then played the "Call to Post" to check his intervals. Once I saw that I never looked back. If it was good enough for Tito Puente it was good enough for me. Been checking my intervals that way ever since. I think you can also do "Taps" or at least part of it with those intervals.

Roottori
10-27-2010, 01:25 AM
Hello, could somebody help me with my kick tuning?
My kick is Premier Artist birch 20"x16". At the moment I have PS3 clear with falam slam as batter and Emperor coated as reso. Both heads are very loose, finger tightened and maybe half turn more. I have no muffling in kick. But now, when I play my kick, it sounds like "PAANG" when I'd like it to sound more like "DUUMM". Are there any easy ways to make it sound the way I like?
Any help will be appreciated. :)

nickd
11-02-2010, 04:16 PM
Turn the drum on its back and tune the reso first. Slacken all off and do the old car wheel / criss cross tuning/ Keep tuning up until you hear the centre of the head makes a clear note like "duuummm" as aposed to a "bob" sound. it. Soon as you get it to do that, thats the lowest pitch it will resonate best at. Flip the head over and tune the PS3 side. Might be a bit hard to hear as its pre muffled, but try and match it best. Your kick should now be a booming baby.

I use to do this with my mapex M birch regurly and it worked brilliant. Sounded amazing with the EMAD.

Roottori
11-03-2010, 07:21 AM
Turn the drum on its back and tune the reso first. Slacken all off and do the old car wheel / criss cross tuning/ Keep tuning up until you hear the centre of the head makes a clear note like "duuummm" as aposed to a "bob" sound. it. Soon as you get it to do that, thats the lowest pitch it will resonate best at. Flip the head over and tune the PS3 side. Might be a bit hard to hear as its pre muffled, but try and match it best. Your kick should now be a booming baby.

I use to do this with my mapex M birch regurly and it worked brilliant. Sounded amazing with the EMAD.

Thanks for your help, I'll try this. I hope it works. :)

sab-ian
05-13-2011, 12:29 AM
Hi Nils, do you have a version in english?

Thanx!

Matematika
09-12-2011, 01:48 PM
please help... i have catalina birch first generation and on them evans g1 on toms and they are great but since everyone hailed g2 on toms i bought them to try them... the result isn t much impressive... for now... when i had the g1 on toms i had tune them by ear and then i had checked drumdial to see the numbers and they were 70 bottom around 75 top... tom had singed beautiful... so my question is how do you tune catalina with g2 heads... today i didnt have much time so i have used drumdial with same numbers and result was... hmmm not so great... i now tuning by ear but the problem is that i will not have much time in following weeks to tune them properlly but your advice would mean gold to me please if you can also provide me some drumdial number for problem...

Rhythm Devil
09-13-2011, 10:07 AM
please help... i have catalina birch first generation and on them evans g1 on toms and they are great but since everyone hailed g2 on toms i bought them to try them... the result isn t much impressive... for now... when i had the g1 on toms i had tune them by ear and then i had checked drumdial to see the numbers and they were 70 bottom around 75 top... tom had singed beautiful... so my question is how do you tune catalina with g2 heads... today i didnt have much time so i have used drumdial with same numbers and result was... hmmm not so great... i now tuning by ear but the problem is that i will not have much time in following weeks to tune them properlly but your advice would mean gold to me please if you can also provide me some drumdial number for problem...

First, throw the DD in the garbage. J/K haha. Second, go to the top of PDFU and see notes, pitches, intervals. Third, go find a virtual piano online and tune those bad boys up.

oldbatterhead
07-03-2013, 09:24 PM
what is everyone's opinion on thee little drum tuning devices that you place on the drum and then read a dial with some numbers on it? Do they work well?

Drummer116
08-19-2013, 01:58 PM
what is everyone's opinion on thee little drum tuning devices that you place on the drum and then read a dial with some numbers on it? Do they work well?

I love it. It works great. But a real drummer can tune by ear and get the sound he/she wants. But don't get me wrong I do use it from time to time and I love it!

Kelly's Prince
11-27-2013, 03:54 AM
Heads and Tuning Question:

I live in Stuttgart, Germany and recently added a 10x8” tom to add to my Vision Chrome kit...and replaced the factory clear Remo head with a Remo Pinstripe Ebony 2-ply head.
Outside of the resonance (“bong” sound), I really like the way it plays...it’s a really “lively” head...so I decided to change the rest of the heads on my toms (12x9, 13x10, 14x11, 16x16FT, 18x16FT) from factory heads to Remo Pinstripe Ebony.

To control extra resonance... I ported the reso heads on all the toms with chrome "O's": 2" for the 10x8 tom , 4" for the12x9, 13x10 and 14x11 toms and 6" for the 16x16 and 18x16 floor toms to control/reduce reso head sound and focus on the batter head to achieve desired drum sound.
The porting has worked pretty well...and the contrast of chrome shells, black reso heads and chrome “O’s” looks pretty cool.

I’m still wrestling with a 2-fold problem:
1. Struggling to achieve just the right amount of resonance control without choking the toms - experimenting with different modes of resonance control on the batter heads: Remo Muff'l Rings (with and without the foam ring) and Moon Gel Pads - to get as close as possible to a "studio" sound.
2. I’m also trying to find just the right “voice” for each of the toms...so each tom has its own distinct sound (tone) and the difference can be heard between the different toms when doing downward/upward rolls or combinations.

I have read that it is recommended to start loose and tune "up" versus tuning "down"...is this true?

With all the above in mind...please advise on the best tuning method - is it better to find the sound on the reso head first and then tune the batter head...or vice versa?

Thank you for your time and any advice you can lend...

Have a great day...

Cheers!

Steve