PDA

View Full Version : Hearing/Hearing Protection

kev
10-13-2005, 10:01 AM
All the following links are on hearing protection.

Ear Protection

What is hearing Protection and what's it all about anyway? (http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?t=70223)
Can you even damage your ears and What takes away your hearing quickest? (http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?t=15889)
Hearing Protection with Band Members (http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?t=76305)
Hearing Protection that doesnt muffle sounds, only quietens them! (http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?t=93749)

Tinnitus

GREAT Essay on Tinnitus, its cause, different forms, what to do if you have it. (http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?t=119463)
Ringing in Ears, what is it? (Tinnitus) (http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?t=104747)

What to use?

Choice of Ear Protection.... (http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?t=93749)
Roars Choice of Protection! (http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?t=93749)
What protection to use (http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?t=79089)
Types of Ear Protection (http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?t=96574)
Hear-o's (http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?t=108822)

Why protect?

Some mp3s to show why you should protect (http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?t=108039)

Some Ear Protection Articles

Properly Inserting Earplugs

The way to get them properly into the ear canal is put your arm over your head and pull your ear up. There is a ltitle kink at the ear canal that the ear plug cant get past if you dont use this, and pulling the ear up takes out the kink, and the earplug should into the canal much better. I tried this yeasterday and found a noticable inprovement in the amount of cut out sound.

Out of some of the threads posted above, Dom Aversano wrote some stuff that Id particuarly like to point out, especially to tinnitus sufferers:

I'll be totally honest with you. I have tinitus and as has been said before, there isn't a known cure... although there are some "cure's" being tested. If you let your ears get worse you will have to make big sacrifices. Here are my tips.

1) Always wear ear plugs around loud noises and try to keep some with you as much as possible. You never know when you will come across loud noise

2) Try out a bunch of ear plugs and make sure that you have more than one pair.

3) Never use headphones. Sorry those days are over, not even quiet, never. In ear headphones are a stupid and harmful invention.

4) Get pads for your kit, even with ear plugs it's damn loud, so to be on the safe side some pads on there most the time is a good idea.

5) Don't practice/play more than four hours a day.

6) Be careful with drink, your kidneys and hearing are oddly enough linked.

7) learn to deal with the noise by not focusing on it. It may also help to get a water feature (which will give off a white noise) in a place where you like to relax.

If it gets real bad...

Stop playing... if it doesn't get better, give up. It's a sad tale that people don't make a big enough deal about this, but if you damage your ears enough your going to have to give up. The drum kit is an instrument that is pointlessly loud, and by it's very nature damaging to hearing. At some point you'll have to accept that life is bigger than drums.

If you don't want to do that, do everything I said and it will help. Tinitus is a lot more harsh than people think.

WEAR EAR PLUGS PEOPLE

*white drummer boy*
10-14-2005, 09:14 AM
so lets talk about wearing ear plugs at concerts. I always wear ear plugs while playing, But I dont think I want to go to a concert with ear plugs. It would look pretty stupid and panzy like. You really dont look cool headbanging with ear phones. My dad is 41 and he has been in a rock band since he was 9. (He just quit it) He has NEVER wore earplugs ever. He jams hard with huge speakers blasting his ears. Hes the drummer which also means cymbals,etc. He has gone to many concerts, Front row right next to them. He is now 41 and he has no hearing loss or anything. But he has trouble with his eyes. Figure that.

nils
10-14-2005, 10:58 AM
What ? I can't hear a thing....

Well, I do it the other way around. I like to practice unprotected and go to concerts with protection.

JohnBonham=Beast
10-14-2005, 06:50 PM
I use a brand that my dad's company uses. As he gives me all I can handle. Will find pictures real quick to show you guys. they work magnificently!:)

http://www.uline.com/images/product/Medium/HD_1023_M.JPG

Roar!
10-15-2005, 07:56 PM
Roar's Choice of Hearing Protection (http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?t=93749) :)

Talon
10-15-2005, 08:40 PM
I am around a drumline for 50% of the year, I like to keep my hearing. Some people can go without protection and be fine, but why put yourself at risk? A couple years ago I had been jamming too much on my set, the next day I woke up and was sick, and with a combination of the noise and being sick, I had a ringing in my ears for 2 days. It was horrible! Tinitus is not something you want to get.

You can easily get earplugs that do not show to anybody unless they are looking.

Compulsivedrummer
10-15-2005, 10:13 PM
i got some earplugs from wal mart that work wonders, enough protection, but i can still hear very clearly. made by Silencio, $6

the only problem is that they are very noticable, they stick out and are blue.

molly moo milk
10-15-2005, 10:19 PM
For practice on my drums at home I went out and bought a pair of $5 ear muffs and removed the foam protection on the inside. Perfect amount of noise reduction.

weezer_army
10-16-2005, 08:27 AM
hahahaha ear muff's!

what color?

Roar!
10-16-2005, 01:17 PM
hahahaha ear muff's!

what color?
probably pink fluffy ones! :)

kev
10-16-2005, 01:38 PM
Oopsie, I went into your post and then said submit to go abck and now it looks like a changed your post :o

Oopsie:p and yes .. i agree on the pink fluffy :D

Roar!
10-16-2005, 01:45 PM
Oopsie, I went into your post and then said submit to go abck and now it looks like a changed your post :o

Fixed.

kev
10-16-2005, 02:06 PM
Fixed.
haha, you rule.

Roar!
10-16-2005, 04:29 PM
haha, you rule.
I know.

molly moo milk
10-16-2005, 11:52 PM

I wish!! They're a nice baboon butt red :D

Gav
10-17-2005, 06:53 AM

Were they love muffs?

kev
10-17-2005, 07:02 AM
Okay guys, lets not spam this place up :)

Plus, I've divided up the links a little more so theyre easier to see and Ive put in some articles :D

rsdrummer
10-26-2005, 01:03 PM
www.westone.com

as drummers,we definitely have more of a chance of losing our hearing,
mostly because the high's of the cymbals,you're surrounded by them. do you want to be like john densmore of the doors? to be left at home while your band (the doors 21st century) go on tour without because you can't hear? he has tinitus. for the longest time i played with those big orange foamy things. sure they protect your hearing but make your drums sound like crap so much that i'd rather it sound good to me & sacrifice my hearing for the next couple of days.

my guitarist recommended westone to me. all you do is go to the website,find a local audiologist,most of them already know of westone. make an appointment. first,they'll clean your ears out (that part feels great)! then they have this jelly-like silicone mixture they inject into your ear.(don't worry,it's complelety safe). as it hardens,it makes a mold of your ear canal. they send it off to westone & they make customized musician ear plugs,
emphasis on the musician. they fit YOUR ears & YOUR ears only. now, they have filters attached to them that actually cut the decibel level. they have them in 9,15 & 21. meaning,the actual amount of decibels they cut. currently i have 15's but i think even the 9's will do the job. they cut most of the high's in the mix when playing but still clear enough to carry a conversation. i wear them to live shows all the time & i can hear so clearly it's unbelievable. the best part about them though,as many people were saying they don't want to look like a pansy at a rock show.....they're flesh colored,small & completely inconspicuous. as a matter of fact,that little piece of flesh near the ear hole sticks out further than the earplugs do. so when you're standing near the stage at a rock show & your buddy yells "THESE GUYS ROCK!" in your ear,you actually know what he's saying instead of just nodding & pretending like you heard him! just think of it as turning down the volume as opposed to getting that nasty muddy sound that foam plugs give you & muffle EVERYTHING out.

now...the cost. for those that plan on doing music long-term & making a career out of it,like myself,the $180 bucks i spent on these is well-worth the investment. if you're just getting trashed with your buddies & jamming covers on the weekends,then the cheap foam ones are probably enough for you.

jhorse345
10-26-2005, 04:21 PM
^^sweet, i'm gonna get those ones...i didn't knkow how they do it tho...

kev
10-28-2005, 07:00 PM
Wow, very useful!

surftex363
10-29-2005, 12:18 AM
i use the vic firth insolated ones! there awesome

hey this forum sections shouldnt be called univirsity it should be called "a way to get Kevs post count up"

Eraserhead
10-29-2005, 08:22 PM
When practicing I like to wear Heros plus the Vic Firth isolation Blue Phones, my drums sound GREAT then. ;)

kev
10-31-2005, 02:10 AM
hey this forum sections shouldnt be called univirsity it should be called "a way to get Kevs post count up"
Haha, easily last on th list. You really think Id do that?! 00**

meat man
11-01-2005, 07:42 PM
yea those vic firth ones are the *s bomb*. i always practice with those or when i cant find em, i have a bucket of 100 that i got for 10 bucks at walgreens. But theyre bright orange, so if i ever wear em to concerts, ill probably look like a panzi. Should i just tell people that my ears bleed when im surrounded by loud noise or what? im looking for good excuses to wear em

samy81
11-02-2005, 03:30 AM
Use electronic drumkits for practicing, and for live gigs. It's weird, but working :)

lilBrO_2666
03-22-2006, 12:23 AM
wow after reading this..it made me want to go and get myearplugs and clean them(had lots of earwax) and get them ready for tomorrow. I plan to play with my band tomorrow and let met just say this, I DONT want my hearing to go away. I sometimes use earplugs but after reading these topics..i think i'm gonna start using it for EVERYTHING.

mzd
03-23-2006, 10:38 AM
the write-up on westone is great by rsdrummer. i got a set at christmas this year. i now wear them to every rehersal and every gig/show. they are probably the best "music" investment i've made in the past few years. i can hear everything well enough to be very sensitive to subtle dynamic changes amongst the other instruments, as well as my own. for those of you that can't afford the westone price tag, you can get non-custom fit plugs with the exact same filter from Etymotic Research for under $20. here's the info: http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx

kev
03-23-2006, 05:36 PM
I recently got ear defenders, jsut for normal practicing, they work great, and you dont have to wait for them to expand either :p
Although I'm still gonna use ear plugs for abnd practices and live sutff :)

Punk in Drublic
03-25-2006, 10:53 AM
I want to invent a product called "Hearmuffs"

That'd be a hot name.

Xplora
03-27-2006, 05:42 PM
Just an addition to it the discussion. I have had an audiologist check my ears and I KNOW I have a serious treble cut in my right ear, I think its from a metal festival where one of my earplugs fell out and it was SOOO LOUD. :(

Anyways, I used to have a lot of ringing ears when I played guitar all the time. I practiced in my bedroom with a 180W Mesa Boogie rig, cranked. I was a lucky guy to be able to make such volume, but it really smashed up my ears (probably contributing to the untimely loss of hearing LOL). But then I stopped using such volume - guitars hurt your ears worse than drums!

But now, I don't get ringing ears. Ever. I use musician earplugs, the ones you get frmo the audiologist, mine only cut away 10-15dB (I can't remember) and for 99% of the time, that's cutting enough sound to take away the "risk" of hearing loss.

Don't give up if you've got tinnitus. It CAN go away or at least reduce in intensity, but it will take months. You've got to respect your ears, which means don't go into the club without your special earplugs in. Don't hit the snare more than once without your earplugs. Don't hit a cymbal EVER without your earplugs in. Finally, remember that your ears are organic. They get hurt, sure, but they don't break unless under incredible stress. The thing that hurts them is that continual buildup of stress. They don't get hurt after 30 minutes of drumming, they get hurt after you've finished and go to a disco later, or start playing your friend's Marshall stack, or go driving for 4 hours (that's the last thing I'll mention, a car can hurt your ears more over 6 hours of driving than 30 minutes of drumming. That continual buildup of stress is REALLY noticable after a car trip. "Where did my bass hearing go?")

Blue Flame Drums
03-28-2006, 07:53 PM
Anybody know anything about in ear monitors? That'd be a GREAT topic to cover.

kev
03-30-2006, 01:59 PM
Just an addition to it the discussion. I have had an audiologist check my ears and I KNOW I have a serious treble cut in my right ear, I think its from a metal festival where one of my earplugs fell out and it was SOOO LOUD. :(

Anyways, I used to have a lot of ringing ears when I played guitar all the time. I practiced in my bedroom with a 180W Mesa Boogie rig, cranked. I was a lucky guy to be able to make such volume, but it really smashed up my ears (probably contributing to the untimely loss of hearing LOL). But then I stopped using such volume - guitars hurt your ears worse than drums!

But now, I don't get ringing ears. Ever. I use musician earplugs, the ones you get frmo the audiologist, mine only cut away 10-15dB (I can't remember) and for 99% of the time, that's cutting enough sound to take away the "risk" of hearing loss.

Don't give up if you've got tinnitus. It CAN go away or at least reduce in intensity, but it will take months. You've got to respect your ears, which means don't go into the club without your special earplugs in. Don't hit the snare more than once without your earplugs. Don't hit a cymbal EVER without your earplugs in. Finally, remember that your ears are organic. They get hurt, sure, but they don't break unless under incredible stress. The thing that hurts them is that continual buildup of stress. They don't get hurt after 30 minutes of drumming, they get hurt after you've finished and go to a disco later, or start playing your friend's Marshall stack, or go driving for 4 hours (that's the last thing I'll mention, a car can hurt your ears more over 6 hours of driving than 30 minutes of drumming. That continual buildup of stress is REALLY noticable after a car trip. "Where did my bass hearing go?")

Whoa, car trips hurt ears, never knew that, whoa. :)

Anybody know anything about in ear monitors? That'd be a GREAT topic to cover.

Yeah, I never really found much on them, although i like the idea of them, unfortunetly they seem to be quite expensive :(

:D

SweetDrums1234
06-13-2006, 04:32 PM
i have the Doc's Proplugs, got them when i bought my drum set. the people were really pressuring me to buy the plugs, and i wear them when i listen to loud music and play along on my set. then if i am bashing around rather loud, i wear ear cups that i got from the hardware store. if i have my stereo cranked and im really hitting hard, i wear my plugs and then my cups over them, and i can barely hear much anything with that on.

SippyCup
06-24-2006, 11:27 PM
My whole band wears earplugs. We try to do soundchecks without them to avoid blowing people away, though.

kev
07-06-2006, 07:06 PM
I wear earplugs every time i now. my band all tired it although they mostly find them uncomfortable, although my guitarist will use my isolation headphones if his ears start hurting.

jaykeMURD
07-07-2006, 10:23 PM
I just got my new Etymotic Research Hi-Fi Ear Plugs, and I have to say, they stomp my ol' gun range muffs! :D

They're so cool, it's really like they advertised, "Like turning the volume down". Amazing.

The ringtones on my phone sound better with the plugs in!
Oh, they work wonders for drumset.....sounds the same!

VanHanegem1995
08-25-2006, 03:38 PM
Personally, I always use the HEAROS. Not only do they cut out the harmful noise, but they also reduce frequencies that may "distort" the sound. I can hear the tone of my drums much clearer with the plugs on. Also, I can hear my bandmates much better. It sounds crazy, but it's far easier to detect if a guitar or a singer is out of tune with the plugs.

For all of the above reasons, I try never to go to concerts without them. The music just sounds better!

ShooflyDrummer
08-27-2006, 03:53 PM
For all you younger Drummers, this is probably the most important topic and to be taken very seriously.
By the time I learned of ear plug options, damage was allready done.

Gantze
11-22-2006, 05:07 PM
I want to invent a product called "Hearmuffs"

That'd be a hot name.

Rofl, Nice.

Gantze
11-22-2006, 05:09 PM
I Have A Question About This,
If I Am Practicing On My Own, Is It A Bad Idea To Wear Headphones Plugged Into My Stereo, Opposed To Blasting My Stereo So I Can Hear It Over Myself Playing?
If So, Does Anyone Have A Good Alternative?

Thanks.

Xplora
11-23-2006, 02:51 AM
I lost my custom earplugs, bought myself a pair of etymotic research ER20s (I think) same thing as HearOs... the triple cup earplugs.

They are extremely good, but they are not as good as the custom plugs. Then again, my ER20s cost me 35 bucks, and the custom plugs were 150. I think you have a lot more protection through the mids, the sound quality is a fair bit better as well, you get more flat response from customs. If you can't afford custom plugs, which ARE better, then ER20s will be adequate. Probably better for going to gigs, because its a better loss if they go missing.

Rio_mang
11-24-2006, 11:10 PM
i got some earplugs from wal mart that work wonders, enough protection, but i can still hear very clearly. made by Silencio, $6

the only problem is that they are very noticable, they stick out and are blue.
its protective and its cheap

Phrygian
03-05-2007, 05:27 PM
I think something just as important is to know what the best head/earphones are for when you are listening to music. Lets face it, kids with there iPods and iTunes and iiiiiiiiii stuff.

So what are the safest head/earphones to use, if you must use them?

I am actually getting a headache, and it feels like my ears are beaten, and bleeding rite now, with my headphones in.

UpTheIrons
03-08-2007, 08:20 AM
I think something just as important is to know what the best head/earphones are for when you are listening to music. Lets face it, kids with there iPods and iTunes and iiiiiiiiii stuff.

So what are the safest head/earphones to use, if you must use them?

I am actually getting a headache, and it feels like my ears are beaten, and bleeding rite now, with my headphones in.

Very good question.
I can answer this one. What I have to say about this is first of all, don't use those ear buds headphones that come with Ipod. They are the most damaging type to use. Use those studio-like headphones or any other kind that isn't the ear bud type. Unless you listen to your Ipod at dangerous volumes, it won't damage your ears. The earbuds go straight to the ear canal and thus damage the ear even at lover volumes.
If anyone should have any questions regarding this, feel free to PM me. ;)

iwishihaddrummoney
03-14-2007, 08:35 PM
I recently purchased some of those etymotic research ear plugs because of this thread. They are a blessing! I used to use Hear-o's, and I know how a lot of people insist that they are the greatest hearing protection, but let me tell you, the quality of sound through the Etymotic ear plugs is a thousand times better than Hear-o's.

I recommend these ear plugs above everything I have used in my past; they are great!

kev
04-02-2007, 10:40 AM
I recently purchased some of those etymotic research ear plugs because of this thread. They are a blessing! I used to use Hear-o's, and I know how a lot of people insist that they are the greatest hearing protection, but let me tell you, the quality of sound through the Etymotic ear plugs is a thousand times better than Hear-o's.

I recommend these ear plugs above everything I have used in my past; they are great!
I better look into those! I use hearos because its what my drumstore has. They cost 60p, although my bassist gives me loads of his leftover from when he worked on a construction site, so I get them for free. Hearos are certainly my favourite though, over his :p

Rio_mang
09-09-2007, 08:11 PM
If anyone looking in for something more practical.. or what ever...

Heh...

I got myself some of those yard work ones...

It don't hurt to try some.

bkmusic
09-10-2007, 01:09 AM
Just thought I would add that, Recently I brought some SHURE E2C in-ear monitoring headphones. First of all they are not too bad for blocking out sound, I was quite impressed by them initially, However after 6 months of use the cable which sits atop of the ear has split exposing the inside wiring, the in-ear buds are terrible if you move your jaw or smile they pop out. I do not recommend what so ever for the performing musician. I was using a backing track for a pop singer last week, the singer smiled at me I smiled back during performance and POP out both of them came I had no in-ear monitoring or ear protection. Stay away from this Shure model IMO.

J-Dub33
09-19-2007, 01:23 AM

I agree with using Etymotic earplugs. I wear these whenever im practicing with my band and I can hear everthing very clearly without ruining my hearing :)

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/images/er20-case2.jpg

Rio_mang
09-19-2007, 08:01 PM
Crazy.

halfshovel
01-18-2008, 05:35 PM
so lets talk about wearing ear plugs at concerts. I always wear ear plugs while playing, But I dont think I want to go to a concert with ear plugs. It would look pretty stupid and panzy like. You really dont look cool headbanging with ear phones. My dad is 41 and he has been in a rock band since he was 9. (He just quit it) He has NEVER wore earplugs ever. He jams hard with huge speakers blasting his ears. Hes the drummer which also means cymbals,etc. He has gone to many concerts, Front row right next to them. He is now 41 and he has no hearing loss or anything. But he has trouble with his eyes. Figure that.

Hearing loss is both cumulative and caused by age. Your dad probably has some mild hearing loss, and that, combined with the natural loss that simply comes with age, will likely mean at least partial deafness when he's older. I'm 39, and I've been fairly good about wearing hearing protection, but I know I have a tiny bit of loss, especially in my "monitor ear" (left one) from gigging. I know there has also been damage from recording, because those darn cans are so loud with the click track and all.

If I hadn't had my hearing tested, I'd swear I haven't lost any hearing. Alas, I have had it tested, and I have lost a little bit. Hearing loss happens so slowly, we don't really notice it until it gets bad.

whey
01-18-2008, 07:21 PM
I use Etymotic ER-4's for protection/IEM's work fantastic especially for ~200 buck.

drummerboy98
12-26-2008, 09:10 PM
ear plugs are a must for practice. I know too many old men with hearing loss. I make my kids wear them.

don8ld
12-27-2008, 03:21 AM
what hearing protection should I use, I wanna play with my ipod and without spoiling my hearing

devildrums555
12-27-2008, 03:23 AM
Get some Vic Firth Isolation headphones or other over-ear isolation headphones to wear over your earbuds.

SAB14N
01-19-2009, 02:22 PM
I use my Sennheiser(spelling?) noise cancelling headphones(not earbuds) and they are amazing. I play along with my iPod and i still am protected from the loud noise of the drumset.

drumdude96
01-22-2009, 02:58 AM
I use the ol' gun range ear muffs too, for when I'm practicing alone. When I play with my band, I use the Shure in-ear monitors. I've never had a problem with them coming out. You just have to make sure you use the right tip that fits your ear canal. I don't have the gajillion dollar wireless rig to go with them. I simply bought a $110 Behringer headphone amp and get the signal from the mixing board. Works like a charm, and they protect my hearing very well. I can listen to my playing and the rest of the band at a very comfortable volume. I agree, your hearing protection is the most important piece of equipment that you own.

Dayna
01-25-2009, 06:11 PM
I use a pair of Panasonic Noise-Canceling headphones. They're great, everything sounds the same, just quieter. According to the box they cancel 92% of outside noise. Now, drumming is not really what they're made for, but it works just as well. Also, they have a jack and cord that connects to my iPod so I can play along with my music and still be able to hear the music and what I'm playing at the same time. They were a bit pricey, just a bit over $300, but I really prefer that over ear plugs.

MortalDrumbat
04-06-2009, 01:26 AM
earmuffs? are those still in existence? gotta get some sweet fluffy uggs to match that gear

Kdrumsx
06-15-2009, 01:33 AM
havnt heard ne one say, what you guys think about sure se10's? i use em with i pod and sometimes i can barley hear my crash (with the head phones in). I just use em to practice at my house. as i dont gig and just jam with my friends.

Maark
06-22-2009, 05:28 AM
I'd love to wear some noise cancelling headphones but I just can't afford a pair and the amount I actually get to drum is prohibitive to getting some as well. I tend to just use some Boots foam earplugs; they do the job.

thedeadlyrhythm42
07-19-2009, 08:15 PM
In ear monitors don't destroy your hearing, you turning your in ear monitors up too loud destroys your hearing. I've been using in ears exclusively for the last three years (every show, every practice) at least 3 times a week and I have never had any ear fatigue after playing.

A note about the e2's (and other in ears), sometimes the form fitting piece (that actually goes into your ear) does not form fit. I know that the scl3's (and I assume the entire scl line) come with multiple styles. Your best bet should be to try one of those. Also, check the technique you're using to insert them into your ear (arm over head, pull ear up).

One thing I noticed about using too much hearing protection is that it would cause me to play harder and with bad technique just to hear myself (specifically the bass drum). I would feel very tired in my wrists and ankles after practice. I think it's important to note that musician's ear plugs are very useful.

Mattilation
03-03-2010, 10:57 PM
I go to concerts and play gigs with ear plugs in. I love waking up the next day without the ringing. Sorry, but it's just not worth the loss of being able to hear, especially when earplugs are insanely cheap.

rassy
03-24-2010, 12:46 PM
I have real bad tinnitis. After playing in bands for 22yrs, plus countless hours in a practice room, I decided many years ago to help protect my hearing. I went to an audiologist and had moulds made of the inside of my ears. They custom make silicon ear plugs with 25DB filters and work extremely well in any setting. You still hear the natural frequencies of everything, just a whole lot quieter. If your serious about protecting your hearing, then I highly recommend these. You can choose different filters also.

A much cheaper option is buying clear silicon earplugs, normally used for swimmers to keep out water. They come in a pack of 6 or just a pair and easily mould into your canals. There washable, are great for concerts and don't look weird because their clear.

HouseDrumma
04-04-2010, 02:42 AM
I am a 20(almost 21!) professional musician, and music student. I spend at minimum of 4 hours a day playing on a kit in a loud environment. After my first year of school I began to notice early signs of Tinnitus and began to take steps to protect from any further hearing damage. I have two pairs of custom ear filters ER15's that are a more shallow canal depth and a pair of ER25's that are a full canal and ear mold. They are both wonderful and I recommend them to everyone, musician or otherwise. If you spend more than an hour a day in a loud environment you are risking permanent hearing loss. Although at $150+ a set I understand they are a little pricey for some. Tell me though, is it worth $150 now to have god hearing 10 or 15 years down the road?

I also use custom molded in ear monitor sleeves. They are like adapters for headphones that block out most outside sound.

The true beauty behind custom ER's is that you can just slide them in an out. There is not dinking around with rolling foam, or waiting til you have a good seal. They just slide right in and feel great. Another big perk is that you lose hardly any attenuation at audible frequencies. That means no more struggling to hear the bass player, or having to watch your band mates fingers or body language to hear them.

Hope this helps! :cool:
-House

ZeusCaboose
04-11-2010, 12:00 PM
I use 26dB construction earmuffs? This good? I use regular iPod headphones and it's never too loud. I can hear the drums fine with a good music volume, I hope I'm doing something right.

Hunk-a-hunk-a-burning-love
04-11-2010, 12:53 PM
Hearing loss is both cumulative and caused by age. Your dad probably has some mild hearing loss, and that, combined with the natural loss that simply comes with age, will likely mean at least partial deafness when he's older. I'm 39, and I've been fairly good about wearing hearing protection, but I know I have a tiny bit of loss, especially in my "monitor ear" (left one) from gigging. I know there has also been damage from recording, because those darn cans are so loud with the click track and all.

If I hadn't had my hearing tested, I'd swear I haven't lost any hearing. Alas, I have had it tested, and I have lost a little bit. Hearing loss happens so slowly, we don't really notice it until it gets bad.

Yeah, I agree, I have some slight hearing loss, mostly at the higher end of the spectrum and a load of tinnitus on top of that - now that's only from about 1.5 years (when I first started playing). Now I always use hearing protection for practising and going to gig.