PDA

View Full Version : D-150 throne

zilflight
03-06-2003, 08:41 PM
I am currently making plans to make a big hardware box out of plywood, and I was also planning on putting in a slot for the seat part of my throne. problem is, right now Im just using a stool cause I have no money, and I plan on getting a D-150 throne whenever I get the money, but Im going to make the box before I get the throne, and I dont know how big the seat is. so if anyone out there owns one or if I can get some info from maybe Gene or one of the other pearl dudes, that would be great. I need to know about what the diameter is of the seat (really I just need to know if it is smaller than 14 which I imagine it is), and I need to know how thick the cushion is (not including the post that sticks out to attach to the thone legs). thanks abunch.

dutchdrummer
03-07-2003, 02:16 AM
Hey Zilflight,

I've got a D150C of my own. It's standing in our bands rehearsal room. Next monday I will measure the diameter and thickness for you. I'll let you know the sizes next tuesday.

Greetings.

lgotofor
03-07-2003, 03:01 AM
HI, I just went and measured my D-150 throne for you, and it's about 13" diameter,and about 3" deep.

dutchdrummer
03-07-2003, 03:40 AM
Thanks Igotofor.

So far for my good intentions..............(lol)

Greetings.

zilflight
03-07-2003, 05:00 AM
well thank you so much both of you. now I just have to make a rough estimate of how much space the actual hardware will take up. Im thinkin this box of mine will be pretty heavy when loaded. maybe 60-70 pounds Im gunna guess. ohh well, thank you again.

dutchdrummer
03-10-2003, 05:34 PM
Hey Zilflight,

just came back from rehearsal and measuring my D150C.

Diameter = 33 cm (=13")
Height = 9 cm (=3.54")

Greetings.

Monday317
03-10-2003, 05:51 PM
Zif--

Just a thought on your D-150: buy the vinyl "Airflow" seat. You can get fleece covers if you want a cushier feel, but I'm told the velvet seat surface tends to absorb--er--odors...

:D

dutchdrummer
03-10-2003, 05:58 PM
The answer to that problem is:

don't fart; just play the drums................

I've got a D150C with velvet cover for about two weeks now. Haven't done a gig with it yet. I'll let you know my experiences....

By the way: who's gonna smell that seat anyway?

Greetings.

Monday317
03-10-2003, 06:09 PM
dutch--

I dunno about you, but I can turn distilled water into twice its volume in gas..! Once can but wonder what your average drummer, fuelled with beer nuts and tequila is liable to produce.

Actually, while I was trying to be funny, it's not just bodily products, but the routine spills of beer and cigar ashes that will make the seat expel a cloud of eau d'monde when sat upon.

I personally like the Airflow cover, because it reminds me of the upholstery that was installed in brand-new early 70s-era Karmann Ghias; my first mechanical love. It's a perverse attraction, granted, but there it is.

It's a truly fine throne from which to play though, yes?

:D

zilflight
03-10-2003, 08:21 PM
well I wasnt ever really thinkin bout gettin a velvet seat. it just contradicts all that I have grown up with in the drumming world. to me, thrones are made of vinyl period. and I dont see myself playin many gigs in bars currently, and I think if I start, I need to get a new kit, or wrap my kit, cause I dont wanna ruin a laquer finish by playin out in bars.

dutchdrummer
03-11-2003, 07:22 AM
Hey Monday317,

Beernuts? Tequila?? lol

I'm the only one that sits on the seat, and I don't spill any beer (such a waste!). Only the ashes from my cigarette might fall down, but then again: I don't have time to smoke and drink while we're playing.

Still there has to be a way to clean the velvet seat. Just hang it out for fresh air can't be enough. I'll have to look into that.

Greetings.

dutchdrummer
03-11-2003, 07:30 AM
And yes: it's a great seat!!

Monday317
03-11-2003, 08:49 AM
I'd guess if you really wanted that cushy velvet interface for your shapely derriere, you could use something like Resolve Upholstery Cleaner on it.

You can get a nice fleece cover from PorkPie, which is an option to consider--unless you're one of those NYC guys who play Bop a lot and wear black. The fleece is a natural color, and would likely stick to something dark.