PDA

View Full Version : Ride Cymbal

Rufio
03-06-2003, 06:43 PM
hey guys. i was wondering if i could get some help with my ride cymbal. its a Sabian B8 20 inch. when i play it, i dont really like the way it sounds because to me, it has way to many overtones. almost like playing a crash. i was wondering if theres any way to change this without buying new cymbals because im short on money right now.

Rufio
03-06-2003, 06:44 PM
WOOOOOAH.... my bad.....i meant to put it in the cymbal section....sorry!!!!!!!

Monday317
03-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Some will put a few pieces of duct tape on the underside of the cymbal.

I have found that if I put a muffle ring on top, and hold it there with a little tape, the cymbal gets nice and dry without the excessive overtones. The cymbal retains a nice ping, with some tones, just not the heavy wash. Also gets to have a better crash characteristic, too.

My ride is a 21" K Custom Special Dry; I happened to have a spare 13" Aquarian Studio Ring which does the job. You could also cut a muffle ring out of an old drumhead is you happen to have one handy.

Try either of these; either way won't cost much.

carrjam
03-07-2003, 11:52 PM
When you go putting duct tape on the bottom, try these tips. Experiment with placement. Keep it about two to three inches from the edge. If you still don't get the desired effect, try moving it closer to the bell.

And I used to pinch the tape in several places before placing it under the cymbal. This will help to dampen the overtones much quicker than simply sticking the tape to the bottom.

And I wouldn't get to bummed about the B8's. I have played some B8's in the past and still love the B8 China splash and regular Splash cymbals. They're great!