PDA

View Full Version : The spurs on my 18" bass drum are too short

kooch2g
03-05-2003, 01:31 PM
The spurs on my 18" Maple bass drum (sn 679139) are too short causing the beater on my foot pedal to hit up high on the bass drum head.
I took the drum in to a local pro drum shop and after numerous attempts of trying other pedals etc they suggested I contact Pearl to see if they would consider swapping out these spurs for a longer set being that the problem is in the design.
These spurs measure 12 1/2" in length.
Can you help??

Jonathan_M
03-05-2003, 02:05 PM
Out of curiosity, what pedal are you using? Can you adjust the height of the beater on the pedal? I know I can on mine is why I ask.

PYRRHO
03-05-2003, 02:57 PM
Longer spurs will not fix the problem - they will raise or lower the height of the front of the drum, but do little to the batter side, which of course remains attached to the pedal. You have an 18" drum, pedals are designed to be most compatable with 20" - 24" bassdrums. I'm sure there are adaptors of some sort available for drummers that use extremely small bassdrums(HipGigs and such), but I'm not familiar with them. Either way - the problem is not the spurs...

BTW, as long as it feels good, there is nothing wrong with the beater striking the drum off-center - many drummers actually prefer the tone, which will be a little more resonant...

Raven87
03-05-2003, 05:27 PM
yeah you would be better off getting a new beater

Jonathan_M
03-06-2003, 12:40 PM
I think I found what you need. It's a piece of hardware that Ludwig makes to raise the back end of your kick drum up. It looks like you attach this to your drum, which raises it, then attach your pedal to the bottom of the lift. I found it at Musician's Friend.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=030306100227024214212028232479/search/detail/base_id/55661

Hope this helps.

kooch2g
03-06-2003, 02:49 PM
Lowering the beater on the foot pedal in order to hit the middle of the drum makes the pedal loose its response.
The various pedals that have been tried are; Iron Cobra, Yamaha, Gibralter and Axis.
The pro at the drum shop is puzzled by this also. The problem seems that the legs are too short and need to be longer.

kooch2g
03-06-2003, 02:51 PM
Why would I need to purchase a stand? If that is what is needed Pearl should sell it that way...?

kooch2g
03-06-2003, 02:52 PM
Hitting higher up on the head muffles the sound, it resonates less.

Jonathan_M
03-06-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by kooch2g
The problem seems that the legs are too short and need to be longer.

So let's see here no matter how long your spurs are, that's only going to raise the FRONT of your drum right?

Your pedal attaches to back hoop of your drum and sits on the floor. This is what's going to keep your beater distance the same. Why not try this, have someone lift up the front of your drum (to simulate longer spurs) or stack some books or magazines under your existing spurs and see if anything changes on the back side besides being at more of an angle. Unless you do something to the back side, I don't see where elevating the front is going to fix your problem.

PYRRHO
03-06-2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by kooch2g
Hitting higher up on the head muffles the sound, it resonates less.

Actually, the absolute DEADCENTER of a circular membrane is a nodal-point, and [theoritically] doesn't vibrate at all. I'm not sure why you're experience has led you to draw a different conclusion; maybe it has something to do with your muffling and beater angle. If you place the beater really high(or low), then yes, it will diminish resonance, but an inch or so off-center is a good thing. The angle at which the beater strikes the drum, changes the amount of surface area contacting the head, so I could see THAT influencing resonance.

You will see many drummers play their snares about 2" off-center for the same reason - increased sensativity, more resonance and fuller tone...

fatboy46
03-07-2003, 01:34 PM
kooch... ? re: lowering the beater makes the pedal 'lose response '? maybe a counter-weight on the beater rod will help that..I have an 18" bass.. no pedal problems with it.. pearl session bass, pearl pedal.. pearl beater..

re: tone at dead center or off center.. yes, the tone is different. but the drum doesn't HAVE to be played dead center..there is a reason that it is called DEAD center...:D

you can get a riser or cradle for the 18".. ebay has a guy that makes them and markets them on ebay.. .. the downside.. is that u usually have to notcht the hoop at the bottom to allow the beater rod to clear and hit the head.. or use a modified beater rod.

personally.. id adjust the beater length to hit the head a couple of inches from the top of the head.. tune the head to give a decent sound.. and/or play with different beater ( wood, plastic, round, etc... )

David J
03-14-2003, 01:26 AM
I purchased a D'amico bass drum cradle and
found it to be a dream come true. I use it for
my 18" and 20" kick! It's totally adjustable
and super durable.
Check it out at D'amico's website