View Full Version : Double Bass Pedal Brand

sir1997
07-29-2002, 05:01 PM
Which do you guys like best?

1). Pearl Eliminator
2). Tama PowerGlide
3). DW Turbo
4). Duallist Double(single pedal)

I want to start playing double bass, which is the best for speed and durability?

Pyrotechnic
07-29-2002, 05:43 PM
How about this, which has the LIGHTEST feel of any of those pedals ?

Genius Switch
07-29-2002, 05:54 PM
I got my iron cobra back in 1999 before Pearl made Eliminators. At the time it was the best pedal as far as speed and feeling. I still enjoy my iron cobra very much but the Eliminator seemed to have a faster action and lighter feal. I think the footboards on the iron cobra and the dw 5002 are too big and thick. I also use a Flexi-glide version (with the Kevlar strap) and it seems to have a significant effect on the pedal's over-all feel. Next time I'll get the chain version.

Tom Tom
07-29-2002, 06:00 PM
I have not tried any of them but my buddy just bought an Iron Cobra and loves it.

I just bought a mid-priced Pearl pedal for my vintage Pearl kit, and frankly it is not as fast as the "Rogers Swiv-o-matic" I played for about the last 30 years. (that leather strap breaking got old) But the new Pearl pedal does the job. It is more solid than the Rogers.

I would like to try the Eliminator with one of those accellerator cams.

TLD
07-29-2002, 07:00 PM
Eliminator does exactly what it says it does.
IT ELIMINATES all other pedals. I don't have double pedal, but i have two singles in belt drive for my bass drums. I have never played a pedal that felt more like it was an extension of my own leg....It is an engineering marvel!!!! If your like me, you will love these pedals!!!:D

Tom Tom
07-29-2002, 07:31 PM
Thanks TLD,

When I buy my dream kit, I am sure I will buy the Eliminator Double pedal. It will be all Pearl. I played a strap for years and am now using a P201 Power Shifter (double chain drive)

I'll have to feel the different options on pulls...but nothing tops a great bass pedal! (Well, maybe a great snare!)

Pyrotechnic
07-29-2002, 07:42 PM
It going to be weird if i buy Pearl pedals for my Tama kit....:p

Tom Tom
07-29-2002, 08:05 PM
Pyro, I have played Pearl all my life, but when I went into a music store and saw a Tama Starclassic Maple kit I fell in love. Untill the other day I was sold on Tama. The finish and the overall quality was incredible. The stands with the Starclassics are so heavy I can't believe it.

Then my buddy (who plays Tama) brought Pearl's new video back from Namm and I have been obsessing over the Masterworks stuff.

When I was a kid I always wanted a Ludwig kit. Then Rogers.

But the Starclassic kit kicks Ludwig's butt.

Right now I have Pearl and Tama 1/2. But I have not seen the Masterworks in person yet. I am going to purchase my dream kit in the next few months...right now Pearl has taken the lead. But Tama makes some awesome stuff!

DrumSRX
07-29-2002, 09:36 PM
I used a Tama IC on a friends kit and it felt lighter to me than my Elimator but I still I didn't like it as much as my Elimator. I just didn't feel to stable to me.

DrumSRX
07-29-2002, 09:39 PM
Has anyone tried the Duallist? I haven't really seen any reviews of them or talked to anyone that has used them. They look nifty.

drummers_4_life
08-01-2002, 04:36 PM
I have a gibralter double pedal and i like it.... never really compared it to anything else though so i cant say whats the best.

Nikkodrummer
08-01-2002, 07:39 PM
I use Tama's Iron Cobra pedals and I wouldn't use anything else. They feel very stable and solid. But, you cant go based on what we all say. You'll have to try all the pedals out for yourself!!!!!!!!

CntralScrutinizer
10-10-2002, 12:57 PM
WOOT! NON PEARL SUGGESTIONS ON THE PEARL FORUM????

BLASPHEMY!!! :mad:

hehe, actually i also prefer the iron cobras myself ;)

lorddraco98
10-10-2002, 03:22 PM
eliminator for me. Such an amazing pedal!

Pyrotechnic
10-10-2002, 03:41 PM
You really have to try ALL the pedals before you buy them. Based on what i saw here, i went and bought an eliminator. I played around with it for a few weeks then ended up taking it back, after i tried the iron cobra one day. The eliminator was great, but the iron cobra was PERFECT. I did not choose based on brand, i went by feel. :)

MikeB
10-10-2002, 07:19 PM
I have tried most pedals out there. The Yamaha DFP-9310 is best for me.

RedHotMuDMath
10-10-2002, 10:50 PM
Interesting you brought the Duallist up, DrumSRX. I've never played one either, but imagine a double bass set with two Duallists! I don't play a double bass set, but I'd probably buy a one just to try that, that would be so awesome! Everyone would probably think you're god, a standard straight 16th double bass groove would be transformed to a 32nd groove...... Wow.

MikeB
10-11-2002, 04:58 PM
The Dualist wesbsite (http://www.theduallist.com/) has a link to this drummer that uses two bass drums. Its pretty cool, but nothing to Thomas Lang.

Lycanthropunk
10-13-2002, 04:57 PM
I bought an Iron Cobra yesterday and it RULES!!!!!!!! The best pedal I have ever come across! Sorry Pearl! ;)

mr_matt_sorum
10-13-2002, 05:36 PM
i tried the duallist pedal, and it was kinda cool, but i really didnt like it..........maybe if you got used to it you might like it, but to me it was a pain in the ***..........i have a dw 7000 pedal(i dindt have the money at the time for the 5002) but still the 7000 hasnt done me wrong yet, ilove that thing...........

LD5ifty
10-14-2002, 04:38 PM
i got the twin power glide iron cobra - and pearl team, it comes WITH a carry case.. the little things make the difference. Its the better pedal in my opinon, elimitator's look (and the name sounds) like a toy - 'iron cobras' not much better, but what can you do, at least it looks like a series piece of tool - has anyone ever broken a cobra beyond the point of usfulness before whilst playing? its impossible

cheers,

Adam

MikeB
10-14-2002, 05:17 PM
I broke the hinge on it. It turned out to be a manufactures defect, though the prics at Tama wouldn't do crap about it, so I fixed it myself.

MikeB
10-14-2002, 05:17 PM
And I don't play hard.

Drum Smasher
10-19-2002, 09:52 AM
i have to go with dw its just the feel, everyone has a different feel for pedals

MBJ
03-20-2003, 04:09 PM
My next double pedal will be a Yamaha DFP-9410. For now, I'm satisfied with my Yamaha DFP-870.

codi_rowe
03-20-2003, 04:28 PM
Take it from me. I have an Eliminator single pedal and double pedals, and the Eliminators are among the best pedals I've EVER played on. I'm using red cams, PowerShifter set to light, footboard angle high, and springs set at med tension and it feels great. I can't see myself using another pedal, although I haven't had the chance to try out the new DW 9000 series pedals. I'm sure they are good because DW makes a damn good pedal. Good luck with whichever you choose!

wjRich_NDX
03-20-2003, 05:31 PM
i have never tried the Eliminator or the Iron Cobra but the fastest pedals that i have personally used was a TAMA Camco chain drive which i believe they still make(double pedal models also). that pedal was super quick.

rockdrummer00
03-20-2003, 05:46 PM
you should defenitly get the iron cobra powerglide,but try all of them cause it all depends on what kind of feel you like,so goto your local guitar center(or music shop)and try them all...

fred
03-20-2003, 06:02 PM
I'm using the new DW5002 Accelerator. IMO these pedals are well built and smooth as silk. Not knocking the other guys out there and it did take over 2 months for me to decide but these are the best for me:)

GotMyDrums22
03-20-2003, 10:58 PM
Eliminator Double Pedal, just so flexable and so many different features for your own personal preference and feel for you.

spitfire01211
11-20-2003, 04:08 PM
take duallist off the list lol i really dislike them u should get a ic well worth every penny and then some

anaco506
11-20-2003, 05:11 PM
I voted Iron cobra cuz i have an IC jr., I wouldve voted eliminators, but ive never tried them....yet!