PDA

View Full Version : Stick weight

DrummerDerr
03-05-2003, 02:44 AM
Hello, everyone, this is my first post, so bear with me if I am not following protocol completely here.

My question is that I have a very hard time finding sticks that work for me. I like to have some weight to my sticks, when I use anything in the A series, I have trouble feeling the sticks and can't do doubles very well. But when I use sticks in the B series, they seem too heavy near the bottom (where I grip them.)

Are there any sticks that are maybe not quite as heavy as the B series, or that shift the weight towards the tip of the stick?

This sort of feel may come from being in marching band with the large tipped DC-9 sticks. I got blazing on paradiddles and such with those and haven;t been able to translate that speed back to drumset application.

Thanks in adavance, sorry for the long post!

DrummerDerr

fatboy46
03-05-2003, 03:01 PM
check out ProMark Oak sticks.. you can go thinner( 5A) and have the same weight.. and the 747 models are a 5B with less taper at the shoulder .. some folks like 7A.. maybe try the Oak Jazz.. .500 diameter.. 16" long as opposed to 5A at .580 diameter and 16"..

oak is heaver ( and sturdier).. and you can go with a thinner stick.. and get the same 'weight' feel.

look at shorter sticks 15.5 or longer 16.5 to see which feels better

Johnny Rabb makes some interesting sticks.. bulges in the grip area....

sk8drummer
03-05-2003, 06:55 PM
yea, i use Pro mark oak 5A. Theyre good i think they give the feel u want. they got a little weight to them but they're not extremely heavy and the weight isnt all in the back. hope this helps...