PDA

View Full Version : Birch limited edition or ultracast?

closure
03-04-2003, 10:18 PM
I am faced with a tough decision and I was hoping you guys could give me some input. I know that there is probably no one who has the limited edition snare as of yet but I was hoping that someone could at least predict the sound difference between the two.

P.S. I am looking for a good loud crack with some warmth and a powerful rimshot, I know that both snares would probably fit the bill nicely and thats what makes this so hard.

newbeat
03-04-2003, 10:48 PM
You can always get another common snare like an ultracast later, so why not just grab the birch while you can? At least you won't ever have a feeling of regret for not getting one while you could, you could also sell it too if you wanted something else. The birch is wood, which basically will give you more warmth than metal- it isn't a 30 ply monster so it won't be too dry or toneless, it's not super thick but it has 10 plies for some good crack and volume, plus the die cast hoops will give you the rim shots...I say grab the birch.

xxxDISENGAGExxx
03-05-2003, 04:47 AM
I'm trading in a snare I just bought a month ago for the birch limited edition. I asked Carl about it last week and he assured me that the 10 ply 12.5mm drums were loud as hell. Plus, the birch should have more crack just by the nature of the wood than the typical maple snare drum and should give any metal drum a run for its money. The diecast hoops will give you a more powerful rimshot than the superhoops on the Ultracast. The birch should also give you better low-end warmth than a metal shell.

And like Newbeat said, b/c its a limited edition, you should have no trouble selling it if you change your mind. Go for the birch!

Blank
03-05-2003, 05:04 AM
Ultracast...always.

The birch would be nice, but I would go with the ultra because it's much more versatile, has a wider tuning range, and is aluminum! (which is smack dab in the middle of the sound spectrum of snare drums...not too high, not too low). The ultra also sounds great nomatter where you tune it, and is definitely very loud.

Trust me I've tried them...get the ultra.

mrbeaver
03-05-2003, 03:44 PM
how much does the birch cost?same as regualr BRX?

xxxDISENGAGExxx
03-05-2003, 05:02 PM
The limited edition BRX retails for $600 so most big dealers will sell it for about $350.

Blank, I don't disagree that the Ultracast is a killer drum (I definitely like aluminum drums, too) but I don't think that the Ultracast is necessarily more versatile and has a wider tuning range than the birch drum. Granted, both of us are going on information from Pearl and not experience (and in my case, advice from Carl too) b/c the drum is probably just hitting stores in the next week, but Pearl advertises the limited edition drum as versatile and great for both studio and live applications - its not like an OCDP 20+ ply drum that is designed only for crack and volume. The tuning range is most likely very similar assuming that you compare it to the 5x14 size Ultracast.

In all honesty, both drums should excel in a situation requiring hi-volume crack and warmth - NEITHER has a major advantage. It will all come down to the subtleties: the extra low-end warmth of birch vs. the warm, but higher pitched resonance of aluminum and the extra crack from die cast hoops vs. the extra resonance from Superhoops.

Blank
03-05-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by xxxDISENGAGExxx
The limited edition BRX retails for $600 so most big dealers will sell it for about $350.

Blank, I don't disagree that the Ultracast is a killer drum (I definitely like aluminum drums, too) but I don't think that the Ultracast is necessarily more versatile and has a wider tuning range than the birch drum. Granted, both of us are going on information from Pearl and not experience (and in my case, advice from Carl too) b/c the drum is probably just hitting stores in the next week, but Pearl advertises the limited edition drum as versatile and great for both studio and live applications - its not like an OCDP 20+ ply drum that is designed only for crack and volume. The tuning range is most likely very similar assuming that you compare it to the 5x14 size Ultracast.

Actually, OCDP's 20-ply is the same thickness if not a tad less than Pearl's 10-ply. I've compared them side by side. ;)

mrbeaver
03-05-2003, 09:25 PM
pearls is a tad thinner 20 ply keller 14mm 10 ply pearl 12.5mm

Blank
03-06-2003, 04:53 AM
Ohh, I see. Close enough:D

But really, they are pretty much very close to the same thickness. I'm not the one to say that 2mm makes a big difference, but if someone asked me, I would say that it doesn't.

closure
03-08-2003, 02:32 PM
I just ordered the birch!

I'm so excited I can't wait.

xxxDISENGAGExxx
03-08-2003, 04:31 PM
Closure, I just paid for my new BZ-1450 today. It should get drop-shipped from Pearl straight to my school apartment in the next week. By the way, if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay? Mine was supposed to be $350 but because I had initially been waiting for 2 months on a different drum, they gave it to me for $300 plus $10 to drop-ship from Pearl.

closure
03-08-2003, 05:16 PM
I paid $550 Canadian.

Dry
03-09-2003, 11:21 PM
WHERE DID U GET THE BIRCH!!!!!!!!!!!lol i must hav it !

xxxDISENGAGExxx
03-10-2003, 09:31 AM
try contacting somebody at midwestpercussion.com or massmusic.net - they're huge dealers and they may still be able to get you one. I bought mine from a store just outside Washington, DC called Washington Music Center (wmcworld.com).