PDA

View Full Version : Bass drum practice pad...

DeepThought
03-04-2003, 07:47 AM
I live in a dorm and wanted to make some sort of pad for bass drum. I know pearl makes one, but I was just wanting something dirt cheap, I have little money to spend on extras.

I was in MARS when they were open, and saw the eliminator pedal display setup. They had small squares of foam that were perfect for practice feel. Is there any way to get my hand on these?

vanillaCOKE2k2
03-04-2003, 08:35 PM
Just ask for a regular bd practice pad. Thats how I practiced away from my kit.

StixNSkins
03-05-2003, 10:41 AM
I use a Gibraltar BD practice pad. You can usually pick these up at music stores for around $40 or so. I have seen them on e-Bay for less, but you just have to keep checking back. They are the best manufactured pads for kick practice out there.

I also made one using some aluminum tubing, a piece of round wood from Michael's Art store, & some mouse pad type foam that I laminated (layered & glued) to make a nice thick pad. It works pretty well, but I prefer the Gibralter pad & don't use it much any more. In any case, I have been asked many times where I bought the one that I made - people always freak out when I tell them that I made it myself.

When I get a chance, I will draw up a set of plans & a bill of materials & you can see if you want to undertake such a project. It didn't take but about 3 hours or so to do the whole thing. All I used was a hacksaw, tape measure, screw driver & a drill & it cost me under $20.

You could always go to Wal Mart & buy a cheap mouse pad (about $3-$5) & glue it to a piece of scrap wood. You'll have to come up with a way to elevate it to the height of your beater & find a way to mount the pedal to it, but that shouldn't be too hard. That may do fine for you if you don't want to be as technical & involved as what I described above.

DeepThought
03-05-2003, 06:37 PM
Thanks, I'll probably get one of those wrist supports at Walmart or what not. I had a simple one setup before, but the foam wasn't a good feel.