PDA

View Full Version : Die Cast Hoops?

Rich
03-04-2003, 12:06 AM
OK Guy's, In the future I might change to die cast hoops on my MHX kit from the superhoops2 that came with the kit. Pearl was saying that it would give my kit a little more focus and more projection. Has anyone out there tried these hoops and is it worth the money? I might also try the stainless steel tension rods. Do you need to change the lugs if you change to stainless tension rods? Also, if I do change hoops I might give the optimounts a try on my toms. Someone answered a thread I have on about the optimounts and said he likes the Tama Star Cast Tom mounts better then the optimounts. Will another brand of mounts fit Pearl drum hoops? He said they are mounted only at the top but wrap farther around the drum hoop for a better hold then the ISS system. I think if I were going to change systems I would go with a system that would give a stronger support like the optimounts.(a 4 point contact) What do you think? All suggestions welcome. Thanks, Rich.

SLIPKNOT1
03-04-2003, 06:18 AM
I personally cant stand die cast hoops on toms. Its one of the reasons i did'nt but a kit from Tama or Pearl. They choke the sound too much.
I cant understand why so many drum companies make beautifully resonating 6 ply maple shells then choke the crap out of them with die cast hoops. If i have too much resonation, i can control it with MoonGel or tissue paper. But i dont even have to do that.

You dont have to change the lugs to use stainless tension rods.

There is nothing wrong with the Pearl Optimounts. I would not see any need to buy Tama die cast hoops and Star Cast mounts (which have to be used together) when you can just use the Pearl system.

As far as other mounting systems, Gauger RIMS mounts will work with any brand of drum and dont attatch to the hoop in any way so you can use any hoops you want.

www.gaugerpercussion.com

Rich
03-04-2003, 12:04 PM
Hi Slip, Thanks for all your responces. You seem to have alot of expeirence with drums and accessories. I have been playing 47years now myself but did not really get into the more intimate things about drums like "drum resonation" ,etc. until recent years.
Thanks for the "gauger" web site. There again it seems like you have every site there is when it comes to drums. Thanks for sharing them with others. I was wondering what your opinion is on that ANGLE HI-HAT on the gauger site. I was unable to bring it up but I thought it sounded like a good idea! Lots of times we set our HATS a bit on the higher side as not to interfere with the other hand while in the cross over position. Sometimes this causes the stick to hit a little more on the edge of the hats and causes alot of stick ware. If you had a HI-HAT that you could angle made sence to me. What is your opinion on this? Thanks again! Rich.

Rich
03-04-2003, 12:24 PM
Hey Slip, One more question. Do you feel that the stainless tension rods help keep the drums in tune longer? If so, would you use them on just the batter side or both sides of the drums and do people use these on their bass drums? Thanks, Rich.

SLIPKNOT1
03-04-2003, 01:02 PM
The angle hat seems like a good idea. I have not seen one first hand though. Everything Gauger makes is really well built, so i dont doubt the quality of it. But i will try and get more info on it to make a better desicion.

As for Stainless Steel tension rods, my kit now has them and my kits prior did not, i have not noticed any difference in them helping to hold tune better. But thats a good question. Once my kit is back, ill try make an effort and see if they do in fact hold place better.