PDA

View Full Version : wood beaters..

Severed_666
03-03-2003, 10:15 PM
do wood beaters sound the same as plastic beaters...??? i heard somwhere that they do...is this true..?? can anyone add some input..
cheers

Severed_666
03-03-2003, 10:20 PM
also which type of beater would be better for a more "dead punk/metal thud" sound..?

rockdrummer00
03-03-2003, 11:08 PM
get the wood beaters,they give more punch and attack...

PYRRHO
03-04-2003, 12:15 AM
rockdrummer00 has the right idea - a felt beater provides a softer boominess, while the wood/plastic(anything hard) will accent stick attack.

If you're just trying to get a dead thump, it comes down to tuning(muffling), more so than the beater. If however, you muffle the drum a lot, you may wish to use a hard beater so as to reenforce the attack and volume lost due to muffling. In other words, a muffled bass may have the sound you want, but it won't carry very far, so you will need the added volume of a hard beater, to get the sound out front.

You may want to try a patch, which will also reenforce attack...

JPD
03-04-2003, 02:17 AM
Severed_666
It all depends on what sound you want. I played wooden beaters for years. Wood does give a more punchy sound. Felt gives you a good softer thud. If you go with wooden beaters, get a drumhead patch of some kind (different kinds for different sounds). The wood beaters can be brutal on the drumhead. Also keep in mind the heaviness of the beater. I had to get used to playing with the wooden beaters. They're much heavier than felt.

SLIPKNOT1
03-04-2003, 05:10 AM
Tama's IC wood beaters (which fit any brand of pedal) will allow you to adjust beater contact angle and they come with a shaft weight so you can balance it perfectly.

Severed_666
03-04-2003, 11:39 AM
so do wooden beaters sound the same as plastic beaters...???

SLIPKNOT1
03-04-2003, 01:31 PM
For the most part, yes.

Severed_666
03-04-2003, 06:09 PM
slip, what do u mean by the most part...??

SLIPKNOT1
03-04-2003, 06:23 PM
The supposed reason for using plastic as opposed to wood is they wont wear through the head as fast. I use kevlar beater pads, so its not even an issue. Either one will sound the same.

vanillaCOKE2k2
03-04-2003, 07:21 PM
slip here is right. I use the plastic side of my beater and have an evans bd beater pad. My friend has a wood beater and that thing is statrting to literally tear through the skin. Its pretty brutal wthout a beater pad.

TonyTheDude
03-06-2003, 11:50 AM
i was going to buy the tama plastic beaters but instead i just put masking tape over my felt beater and it sounds mental!
my quest for the almighty click sound has ended

downside is it looks a bit stupid

SLIPKNOT1
03-07-2003, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by TonyTheDude

downside is it looks a bit stupid

Some words of wisdom i learned long ago "If it works, its not stupid" Followed by "If it aint broke, dont fix it" and finally "If you cant fix it, duck (tape) it"

rockdrummer00
03-07-2003, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by SLIPKNOT1

Some words of wisdom i learned long ago "If it works, its not stupid" Followed by "If it aint broke, dont fix it" and finally "If you cant fix it, duck (tape) it" those are some good ones,who told you them?anyone famous?

pearlplayer16
03-09-2003, 08:30 PM
and hey if you cant duck it ..... f*ck it .... not literally

pearl-drum-man
03-09-2003, 08:52 PM
I have Danmar Wood beaters, and have used DW plastic side beaters, no real difference in sound. I did prefer the DW's 'cause they had a flatter contact surface than the rounded Danmars. Currently using Iron Cobra beaters/pedals now.

giantmink
03-15-2003, 03:06 AM
If you want to get a heavy sound out of a felt beater try covering it in rubber bands. I do it on my back up pedal (in case my main one is having problems) and it works great. Plus when I am in a quieter setting I can just yank em' off. Otherwise I use the Iron Cobra wood beaters on my double pedal. I don't find they have the most volume out of all the beaters I have tried but they are fast and easy to use.

TonyTheDude
03-15-2003, 06:36 AM
im going to get some tama plastic beaters soon. id expect them to be lighter than the wooden ones.