PDA

View Full Version : How long are your felt beaters lasting you?

newbeat
03-03-2003, 10:07 PM
I'm getting new iron cobras and was thinking about whether just to keep the felt beaters or get rubber ones for a little more punch and durability...I'm going to be using a PS3 with a falam slam pad, is the felt beater going to provide enough punch with that?
It seems when you put one on a head with a soft beater, it loses responsiveness at low volumes, and if you don't hit it hard enough all you hear is the beater hitting the pad, nothing gets transferred through to the head. Also, do felt beaters "shed" little particles all over the place? Thanks a lot!

Severed_666
03-03-2003, 10:19 PM
for your first question it all depends on wat tyoe of sounds you are looking for.. for example if you want a a more "dead thud" sound like in metal/punk i would buy a rubber or a wood beater.. the wood beaters offer more of a "click" sound.

For your second question, felt beaters do not shed at alll.....mine havent at least....now i use the plastic sides though

doc_on_drums
03-04-2003, 06:53 PM
I have always prefered the "thud" sound while still rich in tone without over stuffing my bass drum, this is why I prefere the felt beaters. The felt beaters don't give that "click" or "pop" sound that I find annoying in a bass drum sound. I like my druns to have a smooth melodic sound just like any other instrument in the band.
This is just one man's preferance, fortunately there is no right or wrong.
As far as how long do they last...... years, and I have never had any problem with them "shedding" or "shredding". however, they do eventually develope a flat spot. Then it's just a matter of turning the beater.

Mattz280
03-05-2003, 08:30 AM
My felt beaters on my iron cobra doubles lasted about 1.5 years before they were fully flattened and useless.'

I replaced them with rubber ones. Sound isn't that much different, just more attack and a more solid feel. I'm using a PS3 and falam slam as well.

fatboy46
03-05-2003, 01:55 PM
re: how long...felt beaters.. ? years and years

Raven87
03-05-2003, 02:09 PM
the ones on the drumset at school(which i got to pick out) lasted about a year. i'd say they would last longer in a caring enviroment. (people abuse everything at school. )

calumc
03-05-2003, 03:46 PM
They should last ages - I've had my current one as long as I've had the kit (coming up 5 years).

Bigjohn
03-05-2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by newbeat
Also, do felt beaters "shed" little particles all over the place? Thanks a lot!

I never had a problem with that....

until I bought an Evans EQ2 BD head and
used the patch that came with it, in less
than a month my felt beater looked like
you put it against a belt-sander:eek:

mully
03-06-2003, 03:44 AM
I've used the Pearl 201-P for nearly 8 years now, felt side of the beater. It's still like new.

Stephen Mulholland