PDA

View Full Version : OPTIMOUNT SYSTEM

Rich
03-01-2003, 11:53 PM
Can anyone tell me if the optimounts keep the drums from resonating as much as they do when using the ISS system?
Do they muffle the drum sound at all? Any and all comments about these two systems (pro or con) are welcome. Thanks,
Rich.

kimboy
03-02-2003, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Rich
Can anyone tell me if the optimounts keep the drums from resonating as much as they do when using the ISS system?
Do they muffle the drum sound at all? Any and all comments about these two systems (pro or con) are welcome. Thanks,
Rich.

hi,

in my opinion, optimounts do not muffle the drum infact they allow the drum to resonate freely/ full'
pro - frull drum sound, good stability etc.

drummer4JC
03-02-2003, 10:29 AM
yeah since the optimount doesnt mount directly to the shell, it allows for more resonance. compared to the ISS, it would let the shell resonate more becuase its holding the top and bottom as oppsed to just the top. but with Tama's Star Cast mounts, they are suspended by the top only, but it covers more rim room, if that made since. it wrapps around the drum more. i like tamas best.

pearl-drum-man
03-02-2003, 10:31 AM
I had a Masters w/ ISS and now one with Optimounts. As far as I can tell there's no real difference in sound, as both are non penetrating isolation mounts, but the optimounts seem more stable (the weight is more evenly distributed) and you can change drumheads without having to un-mount the drum. I prefer the optimounts.

Rufio
03-02-2003, 04:32 PM
pearl-drum-man, i agree with you. i have ISS on my exports right now and its so frustrating to have to take the whole drum off, remove the mounts, then the rims, then put it all back together. its just a big hassel

Rich
03-02-2003, 08:27 PM
With the ISS system there is no reason to take off the ISS in order to change heads. Just leave it attached to the rim and remove the rim to change the head. Rich.

Raymond Massey
03-28-2003, 03:03 PM
The Optimount does offer a littler more sustain than the ISS - it also allows for unrestricted tuning. With ISS you have to tune the drum with it on to get it exact.

The Optimount sounds best when the drum is mounted on the stand, the bottom of the top hoop should rest on the rubber gaskets - the bottom rubber gaskets on the Optimount should rest between the bottom lug and hoop - it should be loose. Does this make sense

PearlMan
03-29-2003, 04:12 PM
I prefer the OptiMount because:

1. They're more stable
2. They support the bottom part of the shell as well as the top
3. They don't pull on the head in any way
4. They look more professional ( to me anyway )