PDA

View Full Version : double bass

paintballdrummer
03-01-2003, 10:22 PM
i have an elliminator double pedal and i am still trying to get a technique for the long streams of 16th passages. I am fine on fills and short burst but I cant keep it going. Any suggestions on techiques or websites with good ideas. I heard this thing about "flutter footing" with a heel-toe movement but I have a size 12 foot and this doesnt seem to work. Any help?
-Travis

pearl-drum-man
03-02-2003, 11:36 AM
Sounds like you're lacking endurance. There aren't any real "tricks" around this, just practice and building up those muscles, like any atheletic event. If you're competent at playing bursts and fills then it sounds like you're well on your way, a few weeks of practice should yield some results.

pearl-drum-man
03-02-2003, 11:36 AM
This thread might help...

http://66.40.220.17/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9760

kimboy
03-03-2003, 09:29 AM
practice triplets. this helps'

Rufio
03-03-2003, 04:44 PM
i dont ever play streams of 16th's, but im sure just practicing 8th notes and gradually speading it up would help

Ambion
03-03-2003, 05:02 PM
MAke sure you aren't just making your legs spasm. A lot of people can do short fast bursts because they just twitch their legs. Don't do it, it doesn't give you control. Like anything, start slow. Do some leg press lifting at the gym and really work your calf muscles. From what I've seen double bass can really be played three ways: heel down, heel up, or moving your entire leg. I see some death metal players play double bass and it looks they're jogging in place.....but whatever works for them. Anyone have any other techniques?

newbeat
03-03-2003, 07:19 PM
Yeah, just build up your endurance...for higher speeds make sure you're using more ankle and foot, and not your whole leg. Kinda just suspend your leg in the air using your thighs and use your calves and ankles to pump the pedals quickly.