PDA

View Full Version : Zildjian K Custom

JonnyB350
03-01-2003, 08:24 AM
Does anyone else think they are overrated? I think they do not deserve the price tag

Ambion
03-01-2003, 10:40 AM
I disagree. As a matter of fact, the K Zildjians are the only zildjian cymbals I've heard that I really considered purchasing, but then there is always the Paiste traditionals line, which is very similar. I don't like the K Medium ride, however. Too much wash. Other than that, I think they're great cymbals and most people probably agree. They aren't for everyone, though. I saw Lars Ulrich with some K cymbals in some photo recently.......made me cringe to think about how hard he must be hitting them.

Beattimyer
03-01-2003, 03:30 PM
For the sound you get believe me K Custom's are a decent price as compared to Paiste Traditionals(which i would think are worth the price if i didn't like the K Custom's so much...). I don't think you really should put a price on the cymbals you like. K Custom's are obviously not for everyone, but they are kick *** cymbals. Everyone of my cymbals is a K Custom except a few K's, one A, and one A Custom.

K Custom's are for me...

You decide what's for you though.

KCDrummer2003
03-02-2003, 02:45 PM
are k customs more mellow than the k's or sharper?

xXx
03-02-2003, 07:54 PM
I agree with beattimyer! K custom has a more descent price compared to Paiste Taditionals. K custom are also liveir and more responsive compared to K's. But still both lines are the best for me.

Beattimyer
03-03-2003, 12:18 AM
K Custom's are drier more complex i find...without something blocking the sound like recording or headphones they don't sound as dark as the K's but when you do put something like that on, i've found they sound darker. Depends on the model though, they are modern K's really, using new techniques to get a similar sound.

vanillaCOKE2k2
03-03-2003, 04:00 PM
I don't think the price range is overrated. K customs and As are hte most popular cymbals in the world. Some Paiste cymbals are way more expensive than the ks.:D

Big King
03-03-2003, 05:19 PM
I just bought a used 17" K Custom Dark Crash for $125.00

It is in perfect condition. It just needs some polishing. It is my first K crash. I kind of like it.

agulbrandson
03-03-2003, 05:25 PM
If I had one crash, it would be the 17" K Custom Dark... fortunately I have all of them (14-18) and a 20" ride. Bad-*** cymbals.

BRIG6366
03-03-2003, 08:34 PM
I had 14", 17" and 18" K Custom Dark Crashes and a 20" Ride.

The 17" was my favorite of the crashes by far but I liked the Ride even more. I regret selling that one.

zilflight
03-03-2003, 09:14 PM
they are almost the same prices per size as the other top notch zildjian cymbal lines, and they sound freakin awesome. of course, when I first got into drumming, I Thought everything about drumming was expensive. I thought havin some zbt cymbals was really quite ritzy. of course k customs have a heafty price tag, but when you compare their tag to the tags of other drum components of similar quality, the price isnt too bad.

LambofGod3
03-05-2003, 06:20 PM
Does anyone have or had a 19" K custom dark crash i am thinking about purchasing one to replace my old Zildjian Z crash. let me know what u think

Shecki
03-05-2003, 06:31 PM
I'm going to try to sum up the whole cymbal use thing in one word ..."APPLICATION"

Beattimyer
03-06-2003, 12:57 AM
They don't make a 19" K Custom Dark crash for whoever asked...i forget who now...anyways yah only 14" to 18".

LambofGod3
03-06-2003, 10:14 AM
yeah your right i just checked Zildjians website they only make 19" K thin dark crashes

thedrummer
07-08-2003, 09:40 AM
And anyway if you are looking to replace a Zildjian Z cymbal with a K Custom then you must be crazy anyway... unless you've suddenly gone from playing heavy rock to jazz music.

Nicko McBrain
07-08-2003, 01:20 PM
i'll buy a 17" K custom dark at the end of this year or inthe beginning of 2004. It's the coolest sounding cymbal i've ever heard and i think it is for many of us .

vanillaCOKE2k2
07-08-2003, 01:33 PM
They are top of the line cymbals. They are great and now a days they are more versatile than ever.

The k customs arent the most exoensive cymbals ever.

Paiste traditionals, signatures, and some rudes are more expensive.

The HHX evolutions are also more expensive.

I love the K custom cymbals. To me, I prefer their sound and they pretty much just arent for jazz anymore take the fast crashes. They are a lot brighter than the dark crashes.

I also like the K custom china, but its kinda puttin a hole in my wallet so I might get the A custom china or the K china.

And no, they are not overpriced.
for such quality and craftmanship.

echoofformless
07-08-2003, 03:22 PM
I would just say that all musical equipment as a whole is overpriced. That is the sad truth about trying to make it in music.

But in a relative sense, are K Customs overrated or overpriced? Not at all. I mean it's a matter of opinion whether you like the sound and feel or not....but as far as the quality of craftsmanship and sonic timbre goes, K Customs are some of the best in the world. You're not "paying for the name" or anything. You're getting a good cymbal at a normal price for cymbals in that range.

I personally feel that up to a certain limit, money is no object in musical equipment. I will pay for the sounds I want. I'm not saying I would shell out 500 bucks for a pair of hats, but I own K Customs, HHX's and I used to own Sigs....I'm glad to have them all and consider them a worthwhile investment.

titanone31
07-08-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by JonnyB350
Does anyone else think they are overrated? I think they do not deserve the price tag

not in the least bit overrated
to me the are the best sounding crashes money can buy
they are the only crashes i will ever use
they will not be for everyone but no cymbal line period will satisfy everyone.
i use a pretty good sized set of k rides & k custom crashes
& im really happy with this setup

16" K custom crash
14" Z mastersound hats
17" K custom crash
7" ice bell (insanely loud )
20" K ride (old)
16" K custom crash
20" z custom power ride
17" K custom crash
20" K heavy ride
17" K china
19" K china

vanillaCOKE2k2
07-08-2003, 09:43 PM
nice set up.

Beattimyer
07-08-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by vanillaCOKE2k2
The HHX evolutions are also more expensive.

The HHX Evolutions are the same price as the HHX line, which is the same price as the HH line.

Price really depends on location, Sabian is cheaper in Canada than Zildjian and Paiste, where some people i've heard say Sabian is more expensive in some locations in the States, and i've heard other people say Sabian is expensive where they live, i'm sure Paiste is the cheapest cymbal you can get in Switzerland. That type of thing...