PDA

View Full Version : zildjian scimitar?

aenemic
02-27-2003, 09:30 AM
does anyone have any info on this series? when I got my pearl forums about 4 years ago I got scimitar hi-hats with them. they sounded really aweful and were heavy as ****. I got the impression that they are old beginners series, but I really don't know anything about them. I've never even seen another scimitar cymbal.

dblbassmassacre
02-27-2003, 09:43 AM
i got a scimitar, its a 20 inch ride. very nice and pingy actually.

drumfool
02-27-2003, 11:29 AM
Zildjian's scimitar line was a predecessor to the ZBT line.

calumc
02-27-2003, 11:57 AM
my school has scimitar hihats on one of the old kits - they're pretty awful - all bent, with the logos and most off the 'brilliant' finish come off. I suppose most cymbals would end up like that in our school though!:mad:

Fortuna
02-27-2003, 03:34 PM
I was actually going to ask the same thing.

xXx
02-27-2003, 08:53 PM
I had 16" scimitar crash and 18" scimitar crash-ride way back '97. The crash is thin but sounds medium thin. The sound is awful, like a broken crash. Well, I've replaced that with ZBT medium thin which is much better. My crash-ride was washy with a poor ping qualities. The crash quality of this crash ride has a hard high tone and designed for heavy hitting.

Scimitar line was replaced by ZBT line. But ZBT plus line was replaced by ZXT. How come Zildjian replace and replaced their entry level cymbals, unlike Paiste (302/402/502) and Sabian (B8). This line has been there for more than a decade already, right?

NewPearlMan1
02-28-2003, 03:32 PM
The crashes sound like garbage can lids. Try an entry level Sabian like a B8 or B8 Pro. Decent sound and price.

sk8drummer
02-28-2003, 08:01 PM
yo triple x. 302's were relplaced with 302 plus. and 402's with 402 plus. and 502 with 502 plus and 802 with 802 plus. i dont know if there is much sound difference but i no the the ones that arent plusses have been discontinued cuz my local drum shops dont get em in anymore they just get plusses. i dunno bout b8. i dont like em tho.

Beattimyer
02-28-2003, 08:37 PM
Zildjian has been rather unsuccessful with the sales of their "beginner" cymbals which is why they re-work them all the time. Sabian and Paiste are both kicking the big Z's butt. So they are constantly reworking them, and the name to appeal to more drummers. This cymbal market for "beginner" cymbals in recent years has been booming as "beginner" kits become cheaper, more people are playing drums these days, whereas it was more avoided when i was younger due to cost. Zildjian wants a piece of the pie. Sabian has had three lines in this "beginner" range while Paiste is even broader, so they have a wider appeal for choices. The difference between ZBT and ZBT plus was also confusing...i myself did not find much difference between the two lines, and i'm sure others got confused about which one was actually better in terms of cost, as they looked so similar to begin with, and well sounded too similar. Its an attempt to distance a higher priced line of "beginner cymbals" that sound better than the ZBT, from what i've heard they do, they are high energy cymbals with a clean brilliant finish. I think they will do rather well, and you won't see them changing the names or product for quite a while.

At least B8 and B8 Pro look different, which is why they do well as opposed to each other (B8 - Natural...B8 - Pro Brilliant). I think Zildjian was trying to take a little tip from this with ZBT and ZBT Plus, but they didn't distinguish the two lines enough so ZXT will hopefully do it for them from a sales standpoint.

EMMBEE29
03-21-2003, 11:44 PM
i have a set of zildjian scimitars that i purchased back in 1988 and because they were my first set i thought they were ok. After playing real cymbals i realized that they were really crap. HOwever the ride is not that bad with a little duct tape on the underside and th hi hats are not bad if played reversed. (bottom hat on top)

Adrian NoRi
03-22-2003, 10:19 PM
my opinion? they sound like *****, just *****, nothing but *****...

kimboy
03-23-2003, 10:19 AM
scimitar are in level of zbt, zxt's, edge etc.

i have a scimitar 18" crash/ ride.