PDA

View Full Version : Session vs Pacific cx

sirduffy
02-26-2003, 06:12 AM
Living in this part of Ireland, I dont really have much access to good music stores and dont have the opportunity to compare drum sounds etc, so I was wondering, can anyone tell me the pros and cons of the pacific cx vs the session?

Jookbox
02-26-2003, 12:58 PM
it seems like everyone loves to talk trash about the pacific series. i'm not sure why, as i've seen pros like billy ward and joey castillo use them. (joey used them on the tonight show with queens of the stone age.) however, they could just be doing DW a favor. as far as competition, the consensus would be that they are entry-level drums and they're in the same league as pearl exports. pacifics may sound a little better than exports, but it seems like the stock hardware that comes with the exports are better. in both cases, the stock srx is the better kit, so take your pick.

by the way, i'm speaking on the research i've done on the internet.

JEFFa.k.a.ANIMAL
02-26-2003, 02:21 PM
Even though the CX is an all maple shell, there really is no comparison. Pearl makes their own shells, which are superior, and Pacific probably uses Keller. Pearl wins out in the tom suspension, hardware, sound and quality categories, I mean what else is left? Oh yeah, price. The CX lists for $999 and is selling for around $750, where the SRX lists for $2099 and $2599(shell pack and with hardware respectively) and sells for around $1300-1400 and $1600-1700. Plus, they are aiming for two different markets. The Pacific is aiming for entry-level to intermediate drummers, where the SRX is aiming for above intermediate to the semi-pro(regular gig) drummer. That's not to say that a student drummer can't own an SRX, it's just at a higher pricepoint than most students are looking for, and could be a waste of money if 3 months after buying the kit, they decide they're not going to continue drum lessons and just let the drums sit and collect dust. Pacific (DW) is trying to compromise several things that almost can't be compromised and that is Pro-style features, pro-quality, and low price. This comparison is not a fair one, but I tried to logically work it out.BOTTOM LINE IS YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. I'm not dogging Pacific because I was considering the CX series along with the SRX and this is what I found the results to be.

Jookbox
02-26-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by JEFFa.k.a.ANIMAL
Even though the CX is an all maple shell, there really is no comparison. Pearl makes their own shells, which are superior, and Pacific probably uses Keller.

making your own shells doesn't mean the drums are better. dw used to use keller. gretsch doesn't make their own shells, but they make some of the best drums i've ever played.