Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Conga setup - right or left?

I am a right-handed player and am trying to figure out the best setup of my drums. I have conga, tumba and bongos. Currently I have from left-to-right bongos, conga, tumba. I typically do some sort of tumbao pattern leading with my left hand. Does it make any difference how the drums are set up? I did it this way because I saw a pro set up like this (although I think he is left-handed). Also I thought it might build up my left hand patterns which could also help on the drumset. Thanks!
    Session Maple - Carbon Mist :cool:

2. Gerry Zaragemca

The set-up is ok,it is about how you practice,(since the brain have to process that information before giving you the right reflex,(the sense of dominating the subject).Gerry Zaragemca
    International Club of Percussionists

3. keep on keepin' on

traditional latin set up for a trio is quinto left, congo center, and tumba right. The left and right drums are in front of your knees and the center drum is between your knees leaned forward so that you can pick it up and move it...bass tone sounds. Most grooves are written with the tumba on the right in 'books'...if you learn by watching or ear...there's no reason you can't reverse the set up.
    "You can't bring me down" -Pillar

Pearl Masters Studio (BRX), Midnight Fade w/ black hardware
    Bunch of Sabian HH and AA Cymbals, 4 or so snares, Bunch of World Perc....too much to list.

1948 Slingerland Radio King For Sale (Jazz folks or collectors)

4. Gerry Zaragemca

I do set up in accordance with what I'm going to play,for regular grooving,Quinto,(center),then Conga and Tumba to the sides,for Guaguanco,Quinto,(center),Conga on top, and Tumba to the right.Gerry Zaragemca.
    International Club of Percussionists

5. Music=Life

Quote Originally Posted by crashkahuna
    I am a right-handed player and am trying to figure out the best setup of my drums. I have conga, tumba and bongos. Currently I have from left-to-right bongos, conga, tumba. I typically do some sort of tumbao pattern leading with my left hand. Does it make any difference how the drums are set up? I did it this way because I saw a pro set up like this (although I think he is left-handed). Also I thought it might build up my left hand patterns which could also help on the drumset. Thanks!
    I suggest setting up your drums in a fashion that minimizes any "wrist-over-wrist" action. That is to say, any crossovers. When playing with a set of bongos, a conga and a tumba, I have the conga directly in front of me and the tumba to my left. Then I mount the bongos above the conga. Here's a picture I found on google which is a similar setup but with the bongos setup a little bit more towards the center: