Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default George Stone's 'Stick Control' - how to use it?

So far the smartest thing I've done in working to improve my drums chops is buying the George Stone book 'Stick Control.' In just a few days of doing some of the exercises I've noticed a marked improvement in my hand technique.

My question is how do most folks use it? I've been trying to do at least the first half of the exercises on the first page every morning and every night, 20 times each as Stone recommends. But does anybody do more than that at one time? And how long before I forget those exercises and move on to some of the others? The obvious answer would be when I've mastered the first exercises but while they're becoming a lot easier, as well as quicker and cleaner, I don't know when I'll be able to say I've mastered them.

Thanks.

Jesse

2. Pearl Forum Moderator

I use that book. I do each exercise 10 X a day. 1 PG a week as my teacher has me do.
    Pearl, the BEST reason to play drums

PDF PRESS

PHOTOGRAPHY - TWITTER - RUBBERDUCKY

3. Band

I"ve played through the whole book probably 5 times over the last 20 years. I've done it several different ways, half page at a time, whole page, 2 or 3 lines. I once went through and marked the most difficult exercises for kind of a "best of" run through. I thought about trying to group them into R hand and L hand exercises as well. The most important thing to remember is to focus intently on these exercises and not switch to auto-pilot even though they are somewhat simple and sometimes boring. Paying very close attention to your technique in the context of these exercises WILL have a very positive effect on your playing, I would almost guarentee it.

4. Registered User

In addition to playing them on a pad or just snare drum you can orchestrate those patterns around the drumset:

LH on rack tom RH on snare drum.

RH on floor tom LH on snare drum

RH on hi-hat or ride LH on snare drum (find a couple of accents that make it groove and ghost all of the other notes) Add a bass drum pattern to create a rock groove.

Singles on tom toms/Doubles on SD (right singles on floor tom, lh singles on rack tom...)

Singles on SD/Doubles on tom toms

Sweep the doubles (first note on SD, second note on tom tom or vice versa)

Play all of the above over a samba, baion or second line foot pattern.

Play the patterns as swung 8ths instead of straight 8ths/16ths.

Play time for three bars and use any of the above exercises as a fill in measure 4.

You never will master these exercises. There are infinite variations that you can come up with on just the first page of Stick Control.

5. insomniac drummer

1 page 10times every exercise for warm up before practicing on d kit
    drums-premier/pearl
    heads-remo
    sticks-vater/promark/vicfirth
    hardware-premier/yamaha/tama/pearl/dixon

cymbals-sabian cymbals
    14 aaxcelerator
    16 hhx stage crash
    17 aa medium thin crash
    18 aax stage crash
    20 aax studio ride

6. Registered User

ill be on that book in a few weeks once im done with syncopation book, my teacher said it will improve endurance speed and control

7. Registered User

Thanks for all the replies. One page a week? I guess I'll try to forcus more as I do them and see if I can work through the book that way.

So most people here seem to do each exercise ten times, even though Stone seems to firmly recommend twenty times?

Jesse

8. Registered User

do 'em with your feet for some kickass double pedaling.

9. Bronx NY, and West Palm Beach

You can play any ostinato on the ride or HiHat, and read the pages with the snare or bass, or combo of both.

Play an ostinato between your feet, and interpret the pages with your hands.

Play the notes with a swung feel against the ride.

Play it at various dynamic levels.

Phrase the notes in odd number groups.

You can do about a million different things with this book, or any book for that matter...

10. Gone by choice!

Is this the "Stick control for the modern drummer" book?

11. 1 E + TA

jsegovia do them 20 times each like stone says or do them a bit more than that. Do not wait until you have "mastered" a few to move on just keep working on them all like a page at a time and it will all start to come together in time. Waiting to master something until you move on to something else is a bad way to practice in my opinion. That is a great book to get the hands working as equals

12. Registered User

Hey, thanks again for all the great replies. Thanks, paradiddlediddle for the comments on practice - I agree and I'm going to start moving through the book tonight.

I have my electronic trigger pedals underneath my desk so sometimes I do the exercises while playing on the quarter note with my right foot and off-beat quarter note with my left, or eighth notes with both. It's very tough when I play the more complex patterns faster but yes, great exercise.

'Leaving for a business trip tonight - my practice pad, a pair of sticks and 'Stick Control' will be right on the top of my bag.

Jesse