Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Which kick drum size?

I want to order a Reference Series kit, but I'm not sure which kick drum size to order? I play mostly rock/heavy rock, but I also play lighter gigs (pop, gospel i.e. 6 times a year) from time to time. I like my kick to have articulation for double bass drum work and that in your chest punch, but also plenty of low end. I don't like the droning type of sloppiness that I've heard from kick drums especially when doing double bass patterns. I was perhaps thinking of a 22"x16", or 22"x18". Not sure really?

What would the difference in sound and performance be between these two kick drums?

I read the Reference Series description of the kick drums, and because of the Mahogany, the drum will sound bigger than you think it would. So I've also been toying with the possibility of a 20" kick of either 16" or 18" depths. The Moderator wrote that the 20"x16" sounds much bigger than you would think.

What would the difference in sound and performance be between the 20" kicks, and how would the 20" kicks differ from the 22" kicks.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Bryan

2. Registered User

I recently tried out a Reference set (see my review here). These are my impressions of the bass drum:

1. The fundamental seemed louder than other bass drums
    2. The drum's tone was deeper or darker other basses.
    3. I did not think the bass drum sounded bigger than other basses.

I only played a 22x20 bass drum so I can't respond to your size question. However, I'll thow out a couple of points in case you have not considered them.

1. Diameter affects a drum's sound much more than the depth.
    2. The depth may (depending on tuning and vents) affect the way your beater rebounds.

Bottom line is you are going to have to try it for yourself and unfortunatly, I don't think you will be able to compare bass drums in a store for quite awhile. If you have read many posts on this forum, you know that the wait is long for a new Ref and not many stores have even one kit, let alone several with different kick sizes.

Good luck in your quest.
    Last edited by Steven Rose; 06-01-2005 at 09:49 PM.

3. Future Igor

Quote Originally Posted by b.forth
    I want to order a Reference Series kit, but I'm not sure which kick drum size to order? I play mostly rock/heavy rock, but I also play lighter gigs (pop, gospel i.e. 6 times a year) from time to time. I like my kick to have articulation for double bass drum work and that in your chest punch, but also plenty of low end. I don't like the droning type of sloppiness that I've heard from kick drums especially when doing double bass patterns. I was perhaps thinking of a 22"x16", or 22"x18". Not sure really?

What would the difference in sound and performance be between these two kick drums?

I read the Reference Series description of the kick drums, and because of the Mahogany, the drum will sound bigger than you think it would. So I've also been toying with the possibility of a 20" kick of either 16" or 18" depths. The Moderator wrote that the 20"x16" sounds much bigger than you would think.

What would the difference in sound and performance be between the 20" kicks, and how would the 20" kicks differ from the 22" kicks.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Bryan
    get a 20x18. Lots of punch and attack, lots of low end too. Would be great for lighter stuff because it isn't QUITE as bottom heavy as say a 22x20.

4. Registered User

When I do bigger jobs and there's a sound man. They always like small drums.20's rock when you mike them.

5. Registered User

Keep in mind that I only play the lighter gigs 6 times a year, but I'm playing heavy rock once or twice a week. For the heavy rock gigs, they mike the drums. I'm more worried about the heavy gigs than not. Would something like a 20x18 kick cut it like what Wood said about sound guys liking smaller drums, or something more bottom heavy like a 22x18.

Is a kick that is more bottom heavy a good thing? What sonic characteristic does it have and what are the benefits of it? Or would a 20" kick be a better bet since it would be punchier and perhaps easier to control?

I've noticed that more people are going to a 20" kick, like Morgan Rose from Sevendust, and Matt McDonough from Mudvayne, and these guys play in heavy bands. Is it because they need more punch and articulation from the kick drum?

I only ask these questions because I don't know. Someone once said that the only dumb question is the one you don't ask. I just want to make sure I'm buying the right drum, especially for that much money. Thanks.

6. Future Igor

Quote Originally Posted by b.forth
    Keep in mind that I only play the lighter gigs 6 times a year, but I'm playing heavy rock once or twice a week. For the heavy rock gigs, they mike the drums. I'm more worried about the heavy gigs than not. Would something like a 20x18 kick cut it like what Wood said about sound guys liking smaller drums, or something more bottom heavy like a 22x18.

Is a kick that is more bottom heavy a good thing? What sonic characteristic does it have and what are the benefits of it? Or would a 20" kick be a better bet since it would be punchier and perhaps easier to control?

I've noticed that more people are going to a 20" kick, like Morgan Rose from Sevendust, and Matt McDonough from Mudvayne, and these guys play in heavy bands. Is it because they need more punch and articulation from the kick drum?

I only ask these questions because I don't know. Someone once said that the only dumb question is the one you don't ask. I just want to make sure I'm buying the right drum, especially for that much money. Thanks.
    A 20x18 should give you enough low end, if not, you can always just ask the sound guy to add a little low end in.

7. Registered User

Thanks Vansoth, I appreciate it.

Bryan

8. pink panther

a land if you figure out exactly where i am u get $100

a 16" deep kick is gonna really be punchy. the 18" depth is the match in between the 16" and the 20". however the sound also depends on the kind of heads you use as well as the way you tune them.
    PAuL E. WiLlIaMs

9. ~ Liberate Your Creativity ~

a 22" x 16" with the right head will give the variance you will need between the type of gigs you play. Tune slightly tighter to get a lighter sound and slightly loser to get a phatter sound. Also, for a bass head, try and Aquarian Super-Kick II, it comes with an in-built muffler ring which should kill an over tones from the tuning.
    "Drumming is only as limited as your imagination and true creativity is that which is felt not forced."

I Use:
    Magnum 5-Piece
    Magnum Hardware
    Magnum Cymbals (To Be Replaced)
    Ashton Cymbal (To Be Replaced)
    Mapex Snare Stand
    Aquarian Batterheads
    Ahead 5B Sticks

10. Registered User

Morgan Ross the drummer from Seven dust was talking in a video I watched about using a 20in on an acoustic tour and then going back to the 22 when they got done. He said he had to work to hard after playing a 20 in kick when he went to the 22. Makes sense because the bigger the drum the more air that is going to need to be pushed. I play a 22x18 and I love the feel a lot better than a 22x16. It just what feels right in my opinion.
    Pearl Masters Custom Sunrise Fade
    MMX 10x8, 14x12, 16x14
    MRX 22x18
    Omar Hakim Sig Snare
    Firecracker steel 10x5

Slingerland 1950's to 1970's
    50's 14"Snare
    60 to 70"s 12x9, 16x16, 22x14

Various Zildjian, Wuhan, and Sabian cymbals.
    Kits

My Old Band

11. AC DON'T FRONT!

Quote Originally Posted by Vansoth
    get a 20x18. Lots of punch and attack, lots of low end too. Would be great for lighter stuff because it isn't QUITE as bottom heavy as say a 22x20.

the concurence level is at an all time high
    eazy5 5lyfe