Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Banned

Thumbs down Free floating Copper snare arrives...

My 14x 6.5 snare just arrived. I have set it up with puresound snares, and an evans dry-st batter head.

This snare exceeded expectations! The snare is ultra-sensitive even with the dry st head. The attack and sustain just sings!

This snare drum , IMO is superior performing to stuff like the Dunnett copper snare, and less than 1/2 the price. I am so glad I didn't blow $700+ on a "custom" copper snare that I now don't consider to be as good. I'll take sheer performance over a vanity item any day. And I am not even a hardcore Pearl guy.

The crispness and projection of this snare are enough for any situation, but there is a maple like warmth that pulls it away from a hard sound like steel.

This is a great product, and it didn't cost anywhere near the price of a custom. It looks really great also!

I'd say that if you prefer an all-out metal snare, the brass will be drier, and the steel will be louder. But this copper just reminds me of how well made a tympani drum is, also of spun copper.

2. Registered User

nice man! glad you like it

Im wanting to get the 14"x3.5" copper FF in the future sometime, the seem really nice.

3. Registered User

Nice. Been thinking of getting a copper free-floater for a while, just can't decide on the depth.

You should look out for shells cheap that you could use as well.

4. Banned

I might get a FF brass 14x3.5... That would round out my snare arsenal very well! I am 100% sold on the superiority of the free floating concept.

5. Registered User

This is what Ant told me about the 14"x3.5" copper FF.....
    Quote Originally Posted by rockCORE-Ant
    joey666- i got a 13x3.5 copper. It's very very cracky. I have the snares looses so it's not very sensetive, but enough to execute a one handed roll and have it sound good. It's a loud one.
    I would love to have a snare of that sound in my snare collection, lots of crack and volume

6. Registered User

Mmm very tempted. The FF's have the new throw and snares right? Well soon...

7. Drummin' 4 Decades..

Pictures, please.

8. Anything Goes

You sir are ignorant for making such a inane comment....There is absolutely no way Pearl's copper free floater is superior. I have tested both and done extensive research. Dunnett custom snare drums exceed and out rank any snare Pearl has made, maybe except for a few drums. No one is making drums with the quality and precision Ronn Dunnett is. Try again.

9. Session Custom - SMX

I decide to go with the 6'5 cooper FF after trying it at my local music store, but I still waiting on the store to receive another one because the one I tried was alreidy sold...

10. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ac_yammi
    You sir are ignorant for making such a inane comment....There is absolutely no way Pearl's copper free floater is superior. I have tested both and done extensive research. Dunnett custom snare drums exceed and out rank any snare Pearl has made, maybe except for a few drums. No one is making drums with the quality and precision Ronn Dunnett is. Try again.

Are you a shill for Ron Dunnett? Or are you RD himself in one of your multiple sock puppet names? I highly suspect the latter, given his disingenuous shennanigans across the web. He is a hoot!

I have played his (IMO) overpriced stuff. The Pearl resonates better and that can be proven via measurement with an o'scope.

So YOU can try again. The Pearl IMO, is the hands down superior snare to Dunnetts copper. Again, the pearl has no hardware attached to the shell to kill resonance. So you cannot convince me otherwise...no one can. I have ear-tested enough. You forget you are only stating opinion not fact as I am also. I have no doubt electronics will measure and corroborate my opinion. And sad for RD but true, a mass-produced snare has physical superiority to his own. Maybe he should get off his portly duff and make a free floating snare.

Enjoy your Dunnett, I will enjoy my Pearl which I like better in every way.
    I hope RD goes out of buisiness.

And as for you, since you seem like a jerk to me I shall refrain from calling you lots of names or wishing pain and death on you, and things like that. I will simply add you to my "ignore" setting list. I dismiss you entirely.
    Last edited by Scottuk; 04-18-2005 at 02:57 PM.

11. Registered User

Rep for you ^^ .

And nice choice.. I almost bought one myself .

12. The anti-pop

Thanks for the review man! I've really wanted to try one out for some time now, told me just what I wanted to hear

and to ac_yammi: calm down a bit man, hes just saying his opinion about a snare,its totally cool that you like the dunnet, I LOVED the steel Dunnet's I tried out before, he doesnt personally like them, thats cool, to each his own....but scott Saying you hope Ron Dunnet goes out of business is pretty harsh too

but again, Great snare man,congrats!