Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. laa laa laa

Unhappy MAKE MY CYMBALS SOUND BETTER!!

OKi FOR A START i KNOW NOTHiNG ABOUT CYMBALS i MEAN NOTHING! DAD BOUGHT ME THE ZiLDJiAN PLANET Z CYMBAL PACK (HI-HATS, CRASH, RIDE) COZ THE DRUM SHOP GUY SED THEY WERE GOOD BUT i THiNK THEY SOUND LiKE CRAP!!! HOW CAN i MAKE EM SOUND BETTER? HOW AM i SPOSED TO PLAY EM PROPLY MY OLD DRUM TEACHER NEVER SED ANYTHING ABOUT CYMBALS GONNA GET LESSONS AGAiN SO YAAY BUT FOR THE MEAN TiME HEELP! PLZ!

2. Registered User

Oh kay
    The only solutions are to buy new cymbals, change your taste in cymbal sound to conform to the cymbals you have, or go on playing with bad sounding cymbals you are not happy with. The first option would be the best, so for good beginner cymbals i recommend paiste 502 or 802, they arent cheap but they're not expensive either and they are paiste's lowest range BRONZE cymbals (which sort of make them beginner to middleclass), they do make 302's out of brass and 402's out of nickelsilver but i don't recommend them, could sound better to you? who knows. Just try different cymbals in a store and see what sounds you like. There is a proper way to hit cymbals, make sure that the cymbal is either mounted very low, or mounted normally but tilted slightly so that when you hit them you're not hitting directly at the edge, but on top of the cymbal near the edge (i'm referring to crashes mainly). Also, slightly sweep your stick to the side when striking cymbals, doing this means the sticks have somewhere to go rather than straight through the cymbal. Hitting a cymbal without sweeping to the side slightly or pulling back the stick very quickly isnt good. Goodluck with your cymbals dude.
    Paiste Alpha 14'' medium hi-hat
    Paiste Alpha 16'' crash
    Paiste Alpha 16" crystal crash
    Paiste Alpha 20" full ride
    Paiste Alpha 12" splash

3. Sabian crash test dummy

I have heard planet Z cymbals, and I wouldn't want them either. Paiste_player has offered good advice with the paiste 502's amd 802's, they are a good inexpensive cymbal. I also like the sabian B8 line, a sweet sounding inexpensive cymbal, zildjian ZBT's are also an exceptable low cost cymbal, although, for about the same money I would prefer the sabian B8 or paiste 502 ride.
    If the money you spend isn't an issue, they all make good upper line cymbals. Go to your local music store or drumshop and ask to test play a few and pick the ones you like best.
    Pearl offers some "Pearl" and "Pearl pro" cymbals at reasonal prices that are of exceptable quality.

4. Heavy Metal and jazz :)

Visit musicians friend.com or samash.com They have great cymbals for low low prices
    take me **$

5. www.soundclick.com/natewong

I don't know what cymbal sound you like, but the cheap cymbals would be:

www.sabian.com :
    B8, B8pro

www.zildjian.com
    ZBT, zXt(sorta expensive, but highly recomended)

www.paiste.com
    302, 402, 502 (the 802's get kinda expensive.)

Then there are the small cymbals companies, but for "budget" cymbals I would go with the "big three"

6. A questioning mind

On a cryptic journey. Current stop: Orlando, Fl

I think the best value would be either Paise 502, 402, or Sabian B8pro ( regular B8 is ok too ). All of those are relatively cheap but they all sound better than what you're paying for.
    Try www.music123.com they have great deals on stuff.

7. Registered User

Must agree about the 502s. These are a good choice in what is a very competitive price bracket.