Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Hey! Is that a ninja up there?

Default Modern Drum Shop, NYC

Hello, my children of the boards

Just thought I'd let you in on a very nice little drum company that I recently discovered. I got the privelege of playing a 3-piece kit made by them in Glasgow yesterday and I was, completely, blown away! I've never heard drums like them, and they also looked nothig short of fantastic.

Those who know me will know that I'm not a big fan of "new" finishes and fittings. I'd much rather have a nice, subtle laquer or sparkle over a flame job or lightning graphics, etc. So, to find a nice little drum company that do nothing but deliver the ordinary at unbelievable quality was a breath of fresh air! They also sell a variety of sturdy cases to boot!

Also, shall we take a look at prices? I'll compare to Orange County just because I can remember their web address off the top of my head

(All in Laquer Finish) MDS OCDP
    22"x18" Bass = $630.00 $2022.00
    12"x10" Tom = $330.00 $861.00
    16"x16" Floor Tom = $460.00 $1057.00

I realise that there are a lot of factors involving price I have'nt accounted for, but straight from the websites, this is what i came up with.

I don't know too much about this company, but I'd really like to get to know their work a bit better. I could definetely be a fan

The Modern Drum Shop (New York City)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. sunset station

Pretty nice looking drums.

3. Registered User

I went their a few months ago, when i took a trip to the city. Pretty sweet place. Very nice guy who works their. Didn't get the chance to play his drums, but I was looking for Paiste cymbals. Nice little shop though. Kool place .

4. Snare Ho'

He's been written up in Modern Drummer for his fine work [ I can't remeber the owner's name.] I know that a few local Jazz guys play his drums and love them.
    Check out my NEW site: www.drums-of-newyork.com

5. brchtamaman

Man those drums look nice... and the price is nicer!
    “If there’s any such thing as a perfect man, I think John Coltrane was one. And I think that kind of perfection has to come from a greater force than there is here on earth.” Elvin

6. Zildjian

my drum teacher goes there a lot and said that the modern drummer kit he had was his favorite kit. unfortunatley he doesnt have it anymore but he is going to get one redone by them

7. Registered User

I bought a pair of sticks there back in 2000.

8. Kennedy Camden

they're great drums. big ringing tones of the old days. i played them on occassions when i play the Knitting Factorys house drums.

9. sunset station

Eek, look at the mounting on that. I fear that kind of mounting.

10. Hey! Is that a ninja up there?

Quote Originally Posted by kwillis06

Eek, look at the mounting on that. I fear that kind of mounting.
    Yeah, they're the only things I'd change on the site pics. But hey, it reads that installing mounting costs more, so that's a welcome fact

11. Registered User

Where abouts in glasgow are they located?
    My Dw Red Spider Pine Kit!!!
    http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...ht=spider+pine
    My Playing! http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...7&page=1&pp=12

DW, The Best Reason Not To Play Pearl.

12. im unofficial

my grandfather has a sanre that the owner made for him whil him and louis bellson went out fo lunch in nyc .. i know the guy who owns the place's name is joe but iforgot his last name .. i have to wait until my grandfather comes back from new hampshire to show pictures of it but i will .. it is black wrap maple shell all pearl hardware it has a fiberskyn 3 batter and a normal reso and this thing's sound is incredible
    Quote Originally Posted by Demfer
    Go on a date with a pretty looking girl, take her back to your place and before you know it! ITS OSCAR MAYER TIME!
    Quote Originally Posted by Demfer
    You think your footwork is fast DA? Dude put on a big white robe with a big pointy hood and take a walk through the south bronx at night. You will be hitting 300000 BPM in no time.