Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pearl Dlx Drums

1. Registered User

Wink Pearl Dlx Drums

I'm The Proud Owner Of A 1985 Pearl Professional Series Drumset Dlx-22d-70.made In Japan.it Concess Of Mounted Toms Sizes.10x8,12x10,13x11,14x12 And Floor Tom 16x16.i Love This Set.i Play Every Weekend .this Set Has Been Very Durable.natural Birch.finished In Natural Birch(112).the Toms Sound Very Warm For Being Birch.they Are 7 Ply.inner & Outer Plys Birch.then Mahogany & Super Lanim Wood Alternating.i'm Planing To Keep These Forever.PEARL Thanks For A Great Product.keep up the good work.
    Last edited by t.huval; 11-24-2004 at 07:25 PM. Reason: ERROR

2. Pearl Corporation USA

The History and Evolution of your DLX Professional Series

From Gene Okamoto - Pearl Manager:

The DX 7300 Series (covered finish) and the DLX 7500 Series (lacquered finish) were introduced in 1984 and featured 7 ply shells: birch (outside), mahogany (middle), and lamin (inside) for superb sound with fantastic low-end punch. Priced affordably, they nevertheless featured high-end components such as double braced hardware, SuperHoops, and Pinstripe heads. In 1985, a five-piece DX kit with 22” bass drum and hardware listed for $1650, the 24” bass drum version listed for $1720.

In 1986, the DX/DLX shared the spotlight with a similar but lower priced series, the WX/WLX World Series. In 1987, the DX/DLX were discontinued and replaced by the WX/WLX. In 1992, the WX/WLX became the SLX Prestige Session Elite. In 1994, the SLX became the SPX Prestige Session and SX Session Series. In 1997, the SPX/SX became the SRX Prestige Session Select. In 2001, the SRX Prestige Session Select became the SRX Session Custom. And finally, in 2004, the SRX became the SMX Custom 6 ply maple.

From 1997 to 1998, the DX Session (covered finishes) and DLX Prestige Session (lacquer finishes) made a brief “comeback” and featured 7 ply shells: maple (outside), mahogany (middle), and maple (inside).
    Pearl - The Best Reason To Play Drums!

| Pearl | Zildjian | Remo | Vater |

3. Registered User

GENE: thanks for the info.i find my set gets warmer & resonate sounding as it ages.now i'm saving for that shotgun snare. eric singer signature!!!

4. Pearl Corporation USA

Quote Originally Posted by t.huval
    GENE: thanks for the info.i find my set gets warmer & resonate sounding as it ages.now i'm saving for that shotgun snare. eric singer signature!!!

You'll love the Eric Singer Signature snare (of which I am an owner also).
    If you've never seen the "inside" of its 10-ply maple 12.5mm thick shell, sizewise, its almost as thick as a 20-ply maple keller shell.

check it out!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

5. Yep, I have big ears

The LE brx is just as thick but birch yummy
    666 party with the devil!

6. Pearl Corporation USA

Quote Originally Posted by pearl_twitch
    The LE brx is just as thick but birch yummy
    I like that snare and have seen many of them, but I've only seen them in the 5.5x14 size. Do they make a 6.5x14 LE BRX?

7. Registered User

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by aperciva
    The History and Evolution of your DLX Professional Series

From Gene Okamoto - Pearl Manager:

The DX 7300 Series (covered finish) and the DLX 7500 Series (lacquered finish) were introduced in 1984 and featured 7 ply shells: birch (outside), mahogany (middle), and lamin (inside) for superb sound with fantastic low-end punch. Priced affordably, they nevertheless featured high-end components such as double braced hardware, SuperHoops, and Pinstripe heads. In 1985, a five-piece DX kit with 22” bass drum and hardware listed for $1650, the 24” bass drum version listed for $1720.

In 1986, the DX/DLX shared the spotlight with a similar but lower priced series, the WX/WLX World Series. In 1987, the DX/DLX were discontinued and replaced by the WX/WLX. In 1992, the WX/WLX became the SLX Prestige Session Elite. In 1994, the SLX became the SPX Prestige Session and SX Session Series. In 1997, the SPX/SX became the SRX Prestige Session Select. In 2001, the SRX Prestige Session Select became the SRX Session Custom. And finally, in 2004, the SRX became the SMX Custom 6 ply maple.

From 1997 to 1998, the DX Session (covered finishes) and DLX Prestige Session (lacquer finishes) made a brief “comeback” and featured 7 ply shells: maple (outside), mahogany (middle), and maple (inside).
    GENE-I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION - MY PEARL DLX KIT HAS LAQUIR SPRAYED ON THE INSIDE PLY OF ALL MY DRUMS - DOES THIS CHANGE ANYTHING ABOUT THE WAY THEY SOUND ? I ALSO PURCHASE AN OLD STOCK MAPLE (FREE FLOATING) SHELL , MADE IN JAPEN WITH THE SAME THING . LAQUIRED INSIDE & OUT - THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY.

8. Registered User

sounds like a really nice kit. got any pics?

9. Registered User

Aperciva : Excuse Me , I Was Thinking Gene Was Responding To My Question On My Dlx Kit. Can You Please Tell Me Why & The Bennifits Of My Dlx Kit Having A Clear Laquier Sprayed On The Insides Of The Kick & All The Toms ? Also I Purchased A Older Stock 8'' Maple Shell (free-floater) Made In Japen With The Same Thing . Laquiered Inside & Out ........thank You So Much For Your Time.

10. Pearl Corporation USA

Quote Originally Posted by t.huval
    Aperciva : Excuse Me , I Was Thinking Gene Was Responding To My Question On My Dlx Kit. Can You Please Tell Me Why & The Bennifits Of My Dlx Kit Having A Clear Laquier Sprayed On The Insides Of The Kick & All The Toms ? Also I Purchased A Older Stock 8'' Maple Shell (free-floater) Made In Japen With The Same Thing . Laquiered Inside & Out ........thank You So Much For Your Time.
    The clearcoat inside protects the shell from weathering. It doesn't affect the sound.

11. Registered User

Pantallica............i Don't Have Any Real Good Pictures Of My Kit In Detail ,but I'll Try To Get Some Soon. Thanks.

12. Registered User

Default Dlx!!

wow! i've been playing these since 1988 i think, and i was always under the impression that they were maple shells - i had no idea of the history really! i'm excited to see other people with them - i don't think i've ever seen another set in person but my own. all in all i have a mixture of i think 7 DX/DLX pieces and a rack (remember the 80s!) but i play it as a 4 piece. there are some pictures of it here:

http://www.newblack.net/photos.cfm
    http://newblack.net/images/im000188.jpg
    http://newblack.net/images/im000194.jpg (lonely tom! - it was temporarily replaced with an old slingerland!)
    http://newblack.net/images/im000189.jpg

they're pretty well abused - well, not ABUSED, but i certainly dont treat them with kid gloves. instruments were meant to be sweat on, not keep in a museum i've always though. i can't believe i found this here!!