Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Help! Pearl SRX Session Custom Floor Tom

I own a 2001 SRX Session Custom set in Vintage Fade. I am desperately looking for a matching 16x16 floor tom with legs. I have been scouring eBay and craigslist for months with no success. Does anyone know where else I might look to find one? ANY advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. The Honey Badger....

We see this all the time. Your already looking about the only places that will have such a thing. I know because I am looking for a couple of single toms of my own. I finally ordered some SMX that I had been looking for. Maybe you should do the same if you can, from your favorite Pearl dealer. Otherwise, the search continues....

Edit: As I understand it, typical shell packs for these series did not come with a 16ft which will make finding one all the more difficult, place an order and be done with it I say.
    Pearl Masters (MCX) Mocha Tamo
    Pearl Session Custom (SMX) Green Burst
    Zildjian A & K Customs
    Quote Originally Posted by ashmaple View Post
    ... so I secretely wanna see him 'bust his gear out when he's doing their gig in front of the crowds that lead into Make a legendary show. Hajahaha.

3. Registered User

Thanks Honey Badger. The SRX series came in a couple of configurations. The "Fusion" (which I have) has the 10", 12", and hanging 14". The "Standard" came with 12", 13", and a 16" floor tom with legs. I've seen a few complete "Standard" kits for sale. I've considered buying a complete kit just for the 16" floor tom, then selling off the remaining drums one by one. For some reason, I have a psychological aversion to the idea of breaking up a drum set though, LOL. It might be time to get over that.

4. The Honey Badger....

That was going to be my last resort suggestion. I've done it before, I look at it like this: Other drummers are putting together kits piece by piece, as I'm known to do, so if you break up a kit to keep only what you need and sell the rest, someone will put it back together so to speak. Some guys leave a kit whole and original, only to let it collect dust and rot in a shed behind their house or whatever. Build your kit and enjoy what you love. Your probably showing your drums much more love than some are so go for it.
    Pearl Masters (MCX) Mocha Tamo
    Pearl Session Custom (SMX) Green Burst
    Zildjian A & K Customs
    Quote Originally Posted by ashmaple View Post
    ... so I secretely wanna see him 'bust his gear out when he's doing their gig in front of the crowds that lead into Make a legendary show. Hajahaha.

5. Registered User

My kit comes from the fusion fad era, so I've pieced it together over 10 long years.

Originally I bought the fusion shell pack new;
    22, 10, 12, 14, & 16 (the 14 & 16 are hanging toms) from GC in 2001.

My 14" tom suffered a huge crack from a moving truck wreck when my things were being transported across the country. It was a 14x11 and I found a 14x12 to replace it on the bay.

I looked forever for a second bass. I came across a non-virgin Session Customs kick on the bay that was the same color but all maple, less lugs, and of course a different series. I snatched it up as it was pretty cheap. After that, I came across a steal of the same exact shell pack as mine. 5 drums but I just wanted the kick. Bought the whole thing anyway.

Next found an 18x16x Floor on the bay and snatched it up. I was EXTREMELY lucky and it wasn't cheap. I wanted it so I didn't care.

Right before I moved to Japan I needed to get rid of some drums so I bundled the Session Custom kick with the extra 4 toms and put the up on the bay.

At this point my kit was:
    10, 12, 14, 16, 18, & 2x 22

Later I found a guy selling a 8 & 10 add-on bundle but wouldn't break then up. Bought them both.

I went home for Christmas last year and found a 14" floor tom bundled in a little bop kit. Toms were PPSS but the kick was a converted old session floor and had crappy aftermarket HW and a *****ed set of hoops. GC wanted $450 for it. I would have paid $400 for it. Even then that was way overpriced. They would drop the price so I didn't get it. I waited for a price drop online after I hot back to Japan but someone snatched it up. Poo!

Earlier this summer I FINALLY found a "standard" shell pack and the seller actually let me buy just the 16" floor tom!

So my kit is 95% complete. Just missing the 14" standard floor. It's been a LONG journey but it's been fun. The worst part is that now I can't play it and it sits in boxes. Next year it's going to get back in action when I move!!!
    Solo project: "Suicide Animals" - experimental death thrash industrial zombie noiz
    drums: Pearl Prestige Session Select in Carbon Mist
    hardware: all Pearl
    cymbals: Paiste (Signature, Sound Formula, RUDE, VISIONS, 2002, and Twenty Series)

"Everything you do is a reflection of you......"