Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Phonic plus

1. Joinery apprentice

Default Phonic plus

Just picked of an 11 piece sonor phonic plus. Needs some good tender love and care but when I'm done will look awesome. My only issue is with the 6" Tom, looks to be water damage. What do you guys think I should do
    Attached Images Attached Images     

2. Paiste-oholic

I would call Precision Drums in upstate NY. They might be able to put another ply of mahogany on it. If they can't match up the color perfectly, Woodcraft sells wood dyes that you could maybe use to match it up. I would love to have a vintage set of Sonors, please show us more pics.

3. PDF resident cynic

^^^ this.

That outer ply has to be replaced, because, while you might be able to fix it, it will never look good.

You could try to fill those damaged parts with PVA based glue using a small needle, and then with some all around pressure they would set in place. Then you'd have to sand the entire surface down with very fine sandpaper, and add a layer of matching paint when you're done. I wouldn't recommend this to someone who hasn't had some practice before
    Under the sign of D-beat

Un-ban nik12!

4. I miss the beat

You're building a terrific kit. Even without the 8" tom.

5. Tama Junkie

yup i think we need some more pics of that kit!!!!!!!! 11 pc is one large kit!!!!!!!

6. Pearl does it for me

As long as the inner plies are fine on that tom, I agree, just get a new ply put on and refinish...

7. Joinery apprentice

Went to my jam space today setup about half the kit love the sound I'm getting my band commented about how much louder these drums were. The bass drums are in dire need of a head replacement. Been slowly bring home a few at a time and cleaning them up aswell as adding a coat of paste wax. Probably gonna by a mahogany touch up marker for some of the blemishes and what not. I'm thinking of asking a furniture shop in the same little area my shop is in if they either have some veneer I can buy from them or if they are able to just do it quickly. A few more pics for you guys too
    Attached Images Attached Images   

8. Joinery apprentice

Oh yeah was going to ask all the toms except for the 10 and 12 have rubber gaskets on the Tom mount. Are they possibly a little older? Most of the toms have 303 stamped on the inside does that mean 83??

9. Tama Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Football_Drums57 View Post
    Oh yeah was going to ask all the toms except for the 10 and 12 have rubber gaskets on the Tom mount. Are they possibly a little older? Most of the toms have 303 stamped on the inside does that mean 83??
    march 2003.
    Check out the sonor museum........ some serious donor dorks over there! contrasts on the need kit man the look sweet! betcha they sound great too.... nothing is like a premo vintage kit

10. Registered User

ouuughff, looking at that damage to the outerply suuuuuuuucks. Cool kit bro. hopefully it's not too expensive to fix that up.
    Fiberglass nerd; sizes: 22", 16x2, 14x2, 13, 10, 8

Current Project: 14x6 Pearl Fiberglass Snare conversion

11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by louse View Post
    march 2003.
    Check out the sonor museum........ some serious donor dorks over there! contrasts on the need kit man the look sweet! betcha they sound great too.... nothing is like a premo vintage kit
    Not quite. It's true that the first digit is the year and the second is the month, but you also have to know when the series was produced. The Phonic series was produced between about 1975 - 1987, so "303" will be march 1983.

12. Away From The World

Great kit man, 11 pce! Hope you can repair the tom, but still a good set if not able to.

Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
    8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18