Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

• Home
Page 1 of 215 123451151101 ... LastLast
  1. Playing since 1976

Thumbs up D4L's Masterworks Artisan Bubinga Kit - Plenty of Pics and Specs!

Only read the following if you're interested in the path I traveled to eventually own this kit.

I would like to start off by thanking Al Percival and Gene Okamoto in Nashville. Every time I've needed help, or had a question, they were always very accommodating and determined to keep me making forward progress. I don't want to spend too much time on the history of this order (or the problems), so I will give a brief description of this whole process AND GET ON TO THE PICS AND SPECS!

In March 2011, I started talking with Al Percival, Tom Storch and my dealer about a kit I was dreaming of. The order process is quite laborious if you want very specific details in your kit... especially finish. From March 2011 to August 2011, we finalized my Masterworks Artisan order. It was for 15 drums, all with a figured Bubinga finish and three-wood construction.

In April 2012, the kit arrived. Al was nice enough to unpack a drum and snap a pic so I could finally see the drums. I was very excited, but that quickly turned into disappointment when we discovered the factory took it upon themselves to paint the drums with a reddish brown burst instead of the finish I chose, black burst to natural bubinga. With Tom and Al's help, we re-ordered the kit and adjusted some of the specs. This process took a while, because the factory really wanted to make it right the 2nd time. We went through every spec, and had shell samples made... dotted the "i's" and crossed the "t's". One nice adjustment Pearl was willing to make was to outfit the 2nd kit with black STL lugs (normally available only in chrome).

While waiting for the 2nd kit, we ran into another snag. The factory made my 8x6.5 drum without checking to see if STL tom lugs would fit on it. They didn't, so the factory went ahead and put STL-65 snare lugs on the tom. Of course, I didn't want that because it didn't match the rest of the kit. So Pearl held the entire kit, and remade the tom as an 8x7, so the STL lugs would fit. Then another problem arose. Even though the factory still had the kit, they didn't color match the new 8x7 tom to the rest of the kit... so it didn't match.

Another issue involved the bearing edges. I ordered 45 edges on the snares and concert toms, rounded 45 edges on the rack toms and fully rounded edges on the floor toms, gong drum and kicks. The factory decided to cut all 45 edges for the whole kit. I decided to work with the drums the way they are, and enjoy the attack and punch you get from the "Masters" edges. At that point, I was ready to move onto another company to get my dream kit made. I looked at DW, Gretsch and Ludwig. The only company that came close to being able to create a kit like this was DW. However, there were several factors that made me rethink this situation, and stick with this beautiful Masterworks kit. The DW kit would've cost $10,000 more, and would be missing several features that come standard with a Masterworks kit.

Since I decided the 45 edges would be fine, there was only one more problem to fix... the 8" tom! I wasn't going to wait 4-6 months for another tom. Plus, they didn't match the drum correctly when they had the kit there. So what makes me think they will match the finish on another replacement tom? But wait... there was another matching tom... the 8x6.5 that the factory outfitted with the incorrect lugs. With the help of Al, Tom and my Pearl dealer, we retrofitted the 8x6.5 tom with custom-trimmed STL tom lugs... now the kit is complete!

Now that I've gone over the rocky road I traveled to get this kit... let's look past the few negatives, and focus on the many positives that this kit has to offer. I wanted to write all of that out to basically clear the air and move on.

Here are pics of the kit arriving... I will get on to drum pics next!

Here is the new video... Assembling my Masterworks Kit
    Latest Pics are in posts #287, #288, #289, #481, #482 and #595!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Drumming-4-Life; 12-15-2012 at 05:17 AM.
    My website ===> CLICK HERE
    My eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    My facebook page ===> CLICK HERE
    My YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE

2. Playing since 1976

Here are the concert toms... the specs are:

6x4, 1 ply bubinga, 3 plies of maple and 2 plies of African mahogany
    6x5.5, 1 ply bubinga, 3 plies of maple and 2 plies of African mahogany
    8x4, 1 ply bubinga, 3 plies of maple and 2 plies of African mahogany
    8x5.5, 1 ply bubinga, 3 plies of maple and 2 plies of African mahogany

3. Playing since 1976

Here are the rack toms. The specs are:

8x6.5, 1 ply bubinga, 3 plies of maple and 2 plies of African mahogany
    10x7, 1 ply bubinga, 3 plies of maple and 2 plies of African mahogany
    12x8, 1 ply bubinga, 3 plies of maple and 2 plies of African mahogany
    13x9, 1 ply bubinga, 3 plies of maple and 2 plies of African mahogany

4. Playing since 1976

Here are the floor toms and gong drum. The specs are:

14x13 floor, 1 ply bubinga, 3 plies of maple and 4 plies of African mahogany
    16x15 floor, 1 ply bubinga, 3 plies of maple and 4 plies of African mahogany
    20x15 gong drum, 1 ply bubinga, 3 plies of maple and 6 plies of African mahogany

5. Playing since 1976

Here are the kick drums. The specs are:

(2) 22x20 kicks, 1 ply bubinga, 3 plies of maple and 6 plies of African mahogany
    AKG D112 mics mounted on Kelly Shus

6. Playing since 1976

Here are the snare drums. The specs are:

14x6.5, 20-ply, 1 ply bubinga, 9 plies maple, 10 plies African mahogany, SR-300 strainer, STL-65 lugs
    14x5.5, 10-ply, 1 ply bubinga, 5 plies maple, 4 plies African mahogany, SR-300 strainer, STL-65 lugs

7. Playing since 1976

Here are a few progress pics. The rack toms are perfect for me. The height and angles are right where I want them. The concert toms sound great too! The last pic is a close-up of the customized 8x6.5 tom... so you can see the trimmed STL lugs!

8. Sabian since 1991

Awesome sir and congrats, the positives are greater for sure. By far my favorite of any natural finish I have seen. Anticipating full set up pics!
    Pearl Reference Purple Craze 8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 13x10 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 22x18
    Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 22x18
    Eric Singer 14x6.5 Maple | Omar Hakim 13x5 Mahogany
    Reference 14x6.5 Brass | Reference 14x5 20 Ply
    UltraCast 14x6.5 Aluminum

9. Experienced Noob

I said in the other thread & will say again - contrary to my concern that the combination of black hardware with a black burst finish would be too dark, the drums look fantastic. You did well.

One question: Why did you settle on a black dot for the snare? Did you try other heads & that sounded best? I'm just curious how you ended up there.

10. Playing since 1976

Thanks Mike... I'm workin' on it

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiref View Post
    Awesome sir and congrats, the positives are greater for sure. By far my favorite of any natural finish I have seen. Anticipating full set up pics!
    Thank you very much. I don't consider it settling on a clear CS black dot; it's one of the most famous drumheads ever made - still used by many pros today. See...
    Thomas Lang Solo

Quote Originally Posted by md4man View Post
    I said in the other thread & will say again - contrary to my concern that the combination of black hardware with a black burst finish would be too dark, the drums look fantastic. You did well.

One question: Why did you settle on a black dot for the snare? Did you try other heads & that sounded best? I'm just curious how you ended up there.

11. New and Improved!!

Took ya' long enough to get pics posted

CONGRATS!

12. Experienced Noob

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    I don't consider it settling on a clear CS black dot; it's one of the most famous drumheads ever made - still used by many pros today. See...
    Thomas Lang Solo
    I used the wrong words, I guess. I didn't mean "settle on" in the sense that my wife settled on me. I just was asking how you chose that head. I used them for years but haven't used them for a while for various reasons. There's nothing wrong with anyone using them. I was just wondering what made you choose to.