Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Soli Deo Gloria

Default Fellow Drummers from Australia (Sydney)

Hello!

Are there many PDF drummers living in Australia? Especially Sydney?

For those of you living in Sydney, I have a question. For the last few years, I've been buying my gear from Allans/BillyHyde @ Parramatta, Pitt Street and Surry Hills. However, now that the trusty Billy Hyde is going down, I have nowhere to go

Are there any drum stores within Sydney or online Australian drum stores that you guys would recommend?

It'd be great if you guys could be specific on the following:

- Range of Products
    - Price

Thank you!
    Tama Starclassic Birch/Bubinga (6 pce) Zilli Cymbals Yamaha DTXpress IV Special

2. Registered User

I'm in Canberra, so reasonably close. In Sydney, there's a great store called Optimum Percussion (Burwood??). Great service, generally pretty good pricing, and they'll price match. Range of products, I haven't looked at much drumset stuff there, but they seem to have a bit. They have a ton of other percussion stuff though. Online, there's Turra Murra music, Drummer's Dream, Drummer's Paradise and if you're interested in 2nd hand stuff, Drum Palace.

3. Registered User

Drummers Dream is on Canterbury Rd Belmore. The Drum Shop is in New castle but they are more than happy to post.
    There's also the Drum Factory on Church Street Parramatta. Gallins in Annadale, not sure how much drum gear they have.

4. Registered User

I buy everything through Drummer's Dream and can highly recommend them, great guys, fantastic service and they'll always try and do whatever they can to make sure you leave happy! They have also picked up some brands which used to be exclusive to Hydes, i.e. DW, Zildjian.
    DW | Sabian | Vater | Remo

5. Registered User

There is also Bam Bam music in Blacktown (Main Rd?) however i haven't been there, so have no info.
    DW | Sabian | Vater | Remo

6. Registered User

I live In Sydney and with Allans/Hydes gone there is going to be a big hole in the market place. Drummers Dream is great if a bit expensive but like Kristian said they now do DW and Pearl stuff. I'm thinking the reason Allans/Hydes went under is because of the amount of gear people are bringing from the States etc through eBay stores.
    I've been to most of the stores mentioned here like Turramurra music,the drumshop in Newcastle and the Guitar factory but I find them all just too expensive to deal with.

7. I <3 Miss Pearl

Bam Bam is a nice medium sized store, Rreally friendly and helpful when I was last there

Drummers Dream is a really great drum store close to the CBD. Best range in Sydney. Good Customer Service, Good Location. I don't agree with people who reckon they're pricey.......

Optimum is a tiny store, and they really do focus on the percussion/orchestral market. Good if you're looking for something ultra specfic in terms of percussion and orchestral.

Between Sydney and Newcastle, Beat industry is a nice little shop in Tuggerah, they do good prices on certain sticks really well.

I never liked drum factory.....really bare bones experience for me..when I was last there

The real reason Allans/Hydes went bust comes down to their slowness to adapt to the changing marketplace. Also, they aggressively attempted to buy out the competition everywhere and they ended up shooting themselves in the foot with many of those ventures, wasting their money buying out stores and then closing down without really turning a profit on them.

Don't be afraid to get out there! These stores have a different vibe to the hydes/allans stores, see what you like.

I know the Allans/Hydes stores give you an impression that they were the centre of the universe, but really, it's not the case.
    Last edited by 44Ronin; 11-08-2012 at 05:54 AM.

8. It takes so long to pack up!

Are any Sydney or other city guys looking for anything in particular in sales? I walked into one store yesterday and there were quite a few 14" floor toms around of various pearl models. Also some small toms.

If there are any Masters 20" kicks around the country I'm keen.

Cheers
    Last edited by Aussie; 11-09-2012 at 01:46 AM.
    www.facebook.com/elcaset

Click 'Like' for a listen and for some up coming show information. Thanks PDF!

9. Registered User

Hey Aussie ... Which store? I'm in Sydney.

Drummers dream or online are the only real stores now. According to a few guys I talked to at Billy Hydes, they went under because of the amount of debt that the parent company had. I believe that many of the individual stores were still profitable.
    Has not cleaned his cymbals since 2004

www.hailer.com.au
    www.myspace.com/hailermusic

10. It takes so long to pack up!

Flemington down here in Melbourne. Heaps of individual toms. Also an 18" red onyx dw collectors floor Tom there too.

They should have kept their Facebook page open detailing all of those individual drums. I'm going to check out Bourke St store in about an hour or so.
    www.facebook.com/elcaset

11. Noize Maker

Yeah the Flemington Hydes store here in Melbourne is actually staying in business but they have to change their name. Aussie could you let me know what Meinl cymbals they have left ?

MASTERS ARMY

12. It takes so long to pack up!

Not much in Bourke St unfortunately. A few racks though at 60% off which some may be interested in. The store guy said the warehouse just drop off whatever they want to drop with no clue what is coming so it could pay to drop in once a week or so. Some stores will stop trade this week and others will go to around the end of the month. So if anyone does see a 20" Masters kick of some kind around the place, please let me know! There's a 10" rack and 14" floor in the silver to black sparkle fade at Flemington I could get for it. Even put mesh heads and some triggers on it for home. Also quite a few Gen16 packs as well as individual cymbals there too all at 60% off.

Anyone else looking for anything in particular?
    www.facebook.com/elcaset